Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics 2024 - General Discussion

All the sitting down ones can sod off. Boats and bicycles and suchlike. Really, it should just be for athletics and gymnastics - stuff that doesn’t require expensive kit, with a theoretically level playing field globally.

I don't think football should be in the Olympics. Winning a gold medal should be the peak of ambition for Olympic participants , and it isn't in football, cycling and rugby
You're right about football, and maybe rugby, but for some cycling pursuits the Olympics definitely are the pinnacle. That's certainly the case on the track, and the road winners require a different skill set than the three-week Grant Tour contenders.

I'm looking forward to the athetics and gymnastics. I'm absolutely in awe of gymnasts. So strong and skillful and just all-round incredible really. (It's astonishing that when i was a kid, boys I knew wouldn't do gymnastics cos they thought it was 'girly'. I mean :eek:)

I also invariably end up really engrossed and invested in some random sport I know nothing about and don't really understand (like slalom canoeing or skateboarding or taekwondo or something). :thumbs:

All the sitting down ones can sod off. Boats and bicycles and suchlike. Really, it should just be for athletics and gymnastics - stuff that doesn’t require expensive kit, with a theoretically level playing field globally.

No fancy equipment, no shirts, no shoes.

Like the old days.

Should do the same for the winter games, about time they brought a level playing field to the skiing.

You're right about football, and maybe rugby, but for some cycling pursuits the Olympics definitely are the pinnacle. That's certainly the case on the track, and the road winners require a different skill set than the three-week Grant Tour contenders.
'for some cycling pursuits' - this is kinda key. To compare it with Rugby, R7s is only one variant, so why dont the same principles are in cycling apply? Not to mention that rugby is only really popular in a small number of countries, it just so happens that ours is one ofthem. For other countries, there will be more important versions of various sports (judo, handball spring to mind eta: Baseball! basketball!) , its just that we dont really care about them.

And, since we're on about cycling, there are far too many different versions of cycling events, and some of them are very silly and should be dumped.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the athetics and gymnastics. I'm absolutely in awe of gymnasts. So strong and skillful and just all-round incredible really. (It's astonishing that when i was a kid, boys I knew wouldn't do gymnastics cos they thought it was 'girly'. I mean :eek:)

I also invariably end up really engrossed and invested in some random sport I know nothing about and don't really understand (like slalom canoeing or skateboarding or taekwondo or something). :thumbs:
The Olympics is basically track and field, gymnastics and maybe table tennis for me. The first two are just obvious, it really is about the fittest, the strongest, with a bit of artistry too. The table tennis is just so 'ooh, ahh, ohhhhh' and so bloody quick. I do adore the squeak the shoes make as they shift around.

Reactions: Sue
Rugby 7s now works in Olympic cycles so I would say it’s the pinnacle in that sport. There have been a few 15s players, including arguably the best player in the world, switch to 7s to try and get a medal

It has also allowed Fiji, a team that excels at rugby 7s to win gold medals for the first time ever I think.

Been a good day of football and 7's action. Feels like a long day has just come to a close after 8 hours of wall to wall games :) We go again tomorrow where more sports start their action.

Two weeks off work from Friday. Twelve hours a day of gymnastics, athletics, swimming, diving and triathlon. Then I can go back to hating sport for three and a half years :thumbs:

Tom Daley and Helen Glover to carry the Team GB flag at the opening ceremony.

Good choices I think. Remember my Grandma being a big Tom Daley fan, as was the elderly woman next door in my last house. Also knew someone who was at school with him.

The rower lived locally to me when I lived in Berkshire (their training centre is just outside of Reading). I once saw her in Tescos and perhaps more excitingly saw her account on a dating app around 2014, we didn’t match though.

Tom Daley and Helen Glover to carry the Team GB flag at the opening ceremony.

Good choices I think. Remember my Grandma being a big Tom Daley fan, as was the elderly woman next door in my last house. Also knew someone who was at school with him.
Yes, Tom Daley is a sweetie. How the hell is he 30 though? Surely he's 16 or something..?
The rower lived locally to me when I lived in Berkshire (their training centre is just outside of Reading). I once saw her in Tescos and perhaps more excitingly saw her account on a dating app around 2014, we didn’t match though.
:eek:

He was convicted of raping a 12 year old girl, for goodness sake. I guess with the Schengen agreement he is free to travel anywhere in Europe

"Steven van de Velde, who was named in the Netherlands beach volleyball squad for Paris 2024, was sentenced to four years in prison in 2016 after pleading guilty to raping a 12-year-old British girl when he was 19."

Christ, it makes for appalling reading; he might as well have got a slap on the wrist.
"he has ruined his career" "hopes of representing the country shattered" served just 1 year of a 4 year sentence.
Was 4 years sufficient.

More importantly the girl was raped three times, suffered years of psychological abuse, has self harmed and overdosed.
What a bastard he is.

He was convicted of raping a 12 year old girl, for goodness sake. I guess with the Schengen agreement he is free to travel anywhere in Europe

"Steven van de Velde, who was named in the Netherlands beach volleyball squad for Paris 2024, was sentenced to four years in prison in 2016 after pleading guilty to raping a 12-year-old British girl when he was 19."

Did she know about his conviction at the time?

Good woman's football action this afternoon, the top sides in the world involved.

I think the swimming starts Saturday morning, I think that's usually the second most popular/biggest after the athletics.

I don't think football should be in the Olympics. Winning a gold medal should be the peak of ambition for Olympic participants , and it isn't in football, cycling and rugby
In USA, winning an Olympic gold, would be one of the most celebrated events in US sports history

Back
Top Bottom