Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Track & Field - aka Athletics thread

Yeah, how comes the thread starter is E.J but there's no post of his??:confused:

**E.J. Here at W'ton Uni***

Something's wrong with the boards. I've tried to post the first post of the thread (with schedule & times of the first day's action). But the web browser that i was using i.e. IE 6 stated a "Database Error" :hmm:

Here's a copy of the 1st post started to wobble....

The Athletics action starts on Friday morning 2am BST - 9am China Time. Even though i've mostly enjoyed the ation of the first 6 days, but this is where the Olympics starts to heat up. 47 gold medals up for grabs For the British perspective Kelly Southerton starts her quest for a possible gold medal the tough Heptathlon event. If you believe in omens Denise Lewis won the gold in Sydney 2000 after winning the bronze medal in Atlanta 96.

Could it be Southerton's time to shine? Especially since Carolina Kluft decided to go for the long jump instead of defending her title. But Kelly's achilies heel is the shot put & of course the Javelin. The heats of the blue riband events of the games i.e the hotly anticipated mens 100m (with Usain Bolt, Tyson Gay + Asafa Powell*) & 1500m - the metric mile.

I think for the first time in the Olympics is the womens's 3000m steeplechase. The first two gold medals will be decided on the evening session will be the men's shot put final and women's 10,000m final at 3.45pm BST - Jo Pavey involved this race. She'll be battling against the Ethiopian's & the Kenyan's.

0200-0610: Men's shot qualifying, women's 800m round 1, men's 100m round 1, heptathlon 100m hurdles, heptathlon high jump, men's hammer qualifying
1200-1620: Heptathlon shot, men's 1500m round 1, men's 100m round 2, women's discus qualifying, women's 3000 steeplechase round 1, men's shot final, heptathlon 200, women's triple jump qualifying, men's 400m hurdles round 1, women's 10,000m final

Detailed schedule list for Day 1

*This race could involving those three speedsters could potentially the best ever 100m race - It wouldn't suprise me that the world record is smashed to claart*

Any predictions for the 100m final?

Usain Bolt is just so impressive I think he's going to be an absolute phenomenon from 100m to 400m (eventually). So I'd choose him for the gold with Asafa Powell second.

And then there'll be dancing and gunshots in downtown Kingston!

I hope the British sprinter Tyrone Edgar gets into the final - saw his qualifying round this morning and he looked good.

Don't think he'll be fighting for any medals but if he could get into an Olympic final I think that would be a good acheivement for his.

eta - dang! I think he has just gone out in the second round - can't be sure as I am surreptitiously watching at work but boo if so! Oh, oh - hang on I may be wrong. he may be through. Curse my being at work and not being able to have the sound on. Curse it!

A win for Poland in the Shot Putt

And a fine beard too I would say :cool:

l3335820.jpg

Watching the women's 10k now - anyone else see the kid waving a Union Flag minus the St Patrick's cross?

Was that a water stand they just ran past - not sure I've ever seen that in a 10,000k race before though I may just have been unobservant :oops:

Still watching the BBC feed at work with no sound so still don't have a huge amount of clue what is happening

Any predictions for the 100m final?

Usain Bolt is just so impressive I think he's going to be an absolute phenomenon from 100m to 400m (eventually). So I'd choose him for the gold with Asafa Powell second.
All the commentators and pundits were marvelling at his second round effort; he 'jogged' to a 9.92, in the last 20m or so he just looked like he was in a park

I hope the British sprinter Tyrone Edgar gets into the final - saw his qualifying round this morning and he looked good.

Don't think he'll be fighting for any medals but if he could get into an Olympic final I think that would be a good acheivement for his.

eta - dang! I think he has just gone out in the second round - can't be sure as I am surreptitiously watching at work but boo if so! Oh, oh - hang on I may be wrong. he may be through. Curse my being at work and not being able to have the sound on. Curse it!
Edgar is into the semis. Pickering had a very difficult second round heat and went out, Williams went out at the first.

Would indeed be great for Edgar to reach the final; no chance of a medal unless certain people explode, but would be good for things to come. I'm still hoping Pickering has further to improve - the Great White Hope :oops: :D

without being a bit phwoar i've got a thing about Kelly Sotherton.

She's 3rd overall btw, heard her interviewed after the 200m and she isn't best pleased.

the start of the track and field is the first time this Olympics i've wished i have a TV. it's not as good on the radio, sadly.

Anyone know when Phillips Oduwu is up?
or the Russian Pole Vaulter who consistently breaks records (i forget her name right now)

without being a bit phwoar i've got a thing about Kelly Sotherton.
Ah, I'm not the only one :oops:

She really wasn't please about the 200m, even though it was a PB, or the day in general.

Anyone know when Phillips Oduwu is up?
Monday 18 August, 0200-0445:
Men's 400m round 1, women's hammer qualifying, men's triple jump qualifying, men's 200m round 1, men's 110m hurdles round 1.

Thursday 21 August, 1200-1547:
Women's 1500m semi-finals, decathlon high jump, women's javelin final, women's 200m final, men's 800 semi-finals, men's 4x100m round 1, men's triple jump final, women's 4x100m round 1, men's 400m final, men's 110m hurdles final, decathlon 400m.
or the Russian Pole Vaulter who consistently breaks records
Saturday 16 August, 0200-0559:
Men's 20km walk final, women's shot qualifying, men's 3000 steeplechase round 1, heptathlon long jump, women's pole vault qualifying, men's discus qualifying, women's 100m round 1, women's 400m round 1.

Monday 18 August, 1200-1517: Women's discus final, women's pole vault final, women's 100m hurdles semi-finals, men's 200m round 2, men's long jump final, women's 400m hurdles semi-finals, men's 3000m steeplechase final, women's 800m final, men's 400m hurdles final.

I like Jo Pavey but I feel she lacks the fire necessary for track running. She is too nice. Her best time for the half marathon is 1hr 10m 40s and I just wish she would try a full marathon. But she's 35 now and maybe that was her last major championship.

sorry to be obvious but Bolt in the 100m.

that was THE most incredible 100m performance I've ever seen.

He jogged the last 70m.

In slo-mo it looked like he was walking.

sorry to be obvious but Bolt in the 100m.

that was THE most incredible 100m performance I've ever seen.

He jogged the last 70m.

In slo-mo it looked like he was walking.

Yep it was jaw droppin stuff by Bolt and the way he jogged in the last 70m of his second round heat. His time of 9.92 was exactly the same time that a certain Linford Christie won the Olympic 100m title back in 1992!! :eek:

If Bolt does break his own world record tommorow then i'm really looking foward to the 200m (his strong event) and i reckon that Michael Johnson's world record set in Atlanta 96 could be under serious threat.

Ohuruogu, McConnell and Sanders all through their heats in the 400m

Back
Top Bottom