Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nour cash and carry in Brixton faces another hefty rent rise

Great news Nour.

The Brixton Pound supply mapping exercise identified you as a key supplier to a number of other businesses in Brixton, which shows that you're a cornerstone of the local economy. A lot of those businesses also said they wanted to spend their Brixton Pounds in your shop but unfortunately couldn't.

So any chance you'll accept the Brixton Pound now that things are looking good on the rent/lease.....? :D

oh that is fantastic news! I love your shop, you have the best veg in Brixton and spices from everywhere. So glad to hear this! :)

Oooooohhhh that's the best news I've had this month. Thank you, Nour, for joining and for letting us know the shop's staying. You can add me to your list of loyal customers and supporters. :)

Hi all - I'm a newbie [tho 10 yrs in Brixton] - please don't flame me if I don't get the lingo / ettiquette right first time! I've discovered this thread as I'm keen to do something to help the marketeers out if I can. I have no particular expertise but am [semi-]literate and have some free time - plus I'm keen. I see this thread finished in May, but there were some excellent ideas about trying to establish fair rents, esp. for the longer-standing traders like Nour, threatened with impossible [and poss. illegal] financial demands. Is anybody out there still up for trying to help out? Any ideas / advice / expertise / useful email addresses at the Town Hall / well anything really! would be a great starting point. I'd be really grateful.. Best to all, and thanks in advance.

Incidently, could we change this thread's title to something like 'Plucky, Much-Loved Nour Not to Close Despite Massive Unfair Rent Hike?

Whenever I glimpse the title in its current form I panic slightly, again...

Incidently, could we change this thread's title to something like 'Plucky, Much-Loved Nour Not to Close Despite Massive Unfair Rent Hike?

Whenever I glimpse the title in its current form I panic slightly, again...

I like that, it's very catchy :D

Just noticed that Nour put this on their Twitter last week:

WKER3.jpg

:(

would be good if the mods could change the title of the thread to something like "Nour Cash and Carry suffering massive unfair rent hikes" just to make it clear that they're not thinking of closing this time - they want to fight this. Cheers :)

@editor

I can see why the nu-market would want Nour out. Their unit is bigger than the others, with that lovely rooflight. Bet they could rent it at twice the price to someone else :(

It's been coming a long time.

The arrival of the corporate ad agency-backed frozen yoghurt place truly marked the beginning of the end, along with all these trendy 'independent' chain foodie places looking to expand their empires out of Shoreditch or wherever it is they come from.

If you spend your money in these places, more will follow.

Next step is some of the independent restaurants go out of business and corporates like Pizza Express and Giraffe will take over. I've had a horrible feeling this would be the endgame from the start :(

ASC Studios who have space's above the units in Granville Arcade have just been left with no option but to evict the artist's as this is the only solution for them to legally challenge the landlords. Landlords want to redevelop/ reconfigure the space,(make loads more money).

editor said:
It's been coming a long time.

The arrival of the corporate ad agency-backed frozen yoghurt place truly marked the beginning of the end, along with all these trendy 'independent' chain foodie places looking to expand their empires out of Shoreditch or wherever it is they come from.

If you spend your money in these places, more will follow.

The frozen yoghurt place is the single most pointless place in Brixton :facepalm:

Go in Market Row past Franco Manca, continue down towards the Atlantic Road exit and it'll come up on your left just after all the trendy places.
Alternatively, stick to the right hand edge of the bit of the market between Boots and Iceland and keep walking until you see a very deep narrow opening lined with fruit and veg. This is the other entrance to Nour.

Alternatively, stick to the right hand edge of the bit of the market between Boots and Iceland and keep walking until you see a very deep narrow opening lined with fruit and veg. This is the other entrance to Nour.
Yup, altho it's easier to see the signs inside Market Row IME.

I can see why the nu-market would want Nour out. Their unit is bigger than the others, with that lovely rooflight. Bet they could rent it at twice the price to someone else :(
Yes I was thinking this the other day - I'm sure the space would make a suitable cafe/restaurant :rolleyes:

That's one of the problems with the changes in the market - food is pushing out retail. You need a mix of all really.

Back
Top Bottom