Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Notting Hill Carnival

Sunday is quieter than Monday, so you can just about move around a bit. Mondays its so packed you can struggle to get from one end to the other.

Have a look at the map (last years, but will be about the same) of sound systems:

If you want reggae then there are a few good ones all together - Solution/Jah Observer, Channel One, Lord Ambassador, Gaz's Rocken Blues mixes ska, reggae, all sorts. Aba Shant I at the north end is hard dub, but he plays some older stuff on the Sunday so a bit more varied.

Big names like Norman Jay's Good Times, Sancho Panza etc get very busy, but well worth a look if that's your music.

thanks!

I want to go on Sunday. never been before. Having just moved from Rio de Janeiro this will be interesting.
where do I go? what's the strategy? what time is good?
time, earlier the better. early finish so start early.
my advice is broadly pick a sound and stay there. Like Ringo says depending on your taste in music there are two top corners,The Good Times/ Pancho / Aba Shanti corner [best approached from Kensal Green tube]
or the Solution / Gazs /Lord Ambassador / Channel 1 corner [best approached from Notting Hill tube]
both corners allow short walks between sounds. Dont be tempted to explore, just stay put!

If you are used to Rio and want carnival processions then thats a whole other thing though, get behind a truck and go! (very slowly) Chocolate Nation seems a laugh on that front, messy soca style: http://ukchocolatenation.com/

Digi Soundboy are back for the monday at Sir Lloyds spot -

578379_10151776749568887_1930682695_n.jpg

2011 was good fun - jungle garage dubstep etc big line up for sure

time, earlier the better. early finish so start early.
my advice is broadly pick a sound and stay there. Like Ringo says depending on your taste in music there are two top corners,The Good Times/ Pancho / Aba Shanti corner [best approached from Kensal Green tube]
or the Solution / Gazs /Lord Ambassador / Channel 1 corner [best approached from Notting Hill tube]
both corners allow short walks between sounds. Dont be tempted to explore, just stay put!

I think if you do get there early enough you can have a wander but things wont have really got going properly. Its quite nice to wander off to the park/green area - dunno where it is or what its called :oops: for a sit down and some food later in the day

My mates flat has the balcony next door to the one in the top left of the shot, which is where you'll find me pretty much most of the weekend :D
If you can see, let us know who played. I wonder if theyve kept the always big line-up under wraps this year to try and keep the crowd size more manageable. Just a theory.

What happens at Rio pseudonarcissus? Are there static sound-systems too? My impression is that it's mainly all about the procession.
I saw an interesting thing about the samba school competition and how (laundered) drug-money was funding the whole thing...something like that. (I cant find the link)

I think for NH theres a bit of a conflict with the static sounds and the procession, who kind of get in each others way.
Id like to see the floats and sounds get separated, for example let the floats go around on Saturday and have that as a real family day, then have two days of static sounds only, or worst case floats only on the sunday and one day of sounds on the monday.

In Bristol supposedly they have scaled back the procession to one focused on childrens floats and then wrap the whole thing up by 2pm to make way for the soundsystem crowds...that worked, but I think it would be sad to squash or dilute what is an impressive carnival procession at NH.

What happens at Rio pseudonarcissus? Are there static sound-systems too? My impression is that it's mainly all about the procession.
I saw an interesting thing about the samba school competition and how (laundered) drug-money was funding the whole thing...something like that. (I cant find the link)

Rio is about the parade, the main samba schools in the sambadromo (with the amazing costumes and floats) and the blocos on the street which are pretty varied generally with small bands and everyone following along. No static sounds.

There is rumours about the links between the samba schools and drugs, as well as the illegal lotteries. This maybe overblown, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Sunday. I'll have to see if I can find my U75 T-shirt. I'll give the peacock feathers and sequins a miss this time.

There is rumours about the links between the samba schools and drugs, as well as the illegal lotteries. This maybe overblown, I'm not sure.
yeah that was it - the lotto was a factor too. I wish i could find the little video of it - im going to ask my Rio mate who I think posted it...

A total aside and totally irrelevant but missus just reminded me about a few years ago at Jah Observer, might have been their 2nd to last Carnival, I had enough for about 4 spliffs for the day and was tipping a bit into a rizla and someone knocked into me and pretty much all of the little baggie tipped into the paper and I just thought fuck it, may as-well use it all and I'll just smoke a bit of the spliff... but alas didn't and had an almost mystical experience :cool:

Im a bit tight on money so have passed on a couple of good after parties (Dub Festival at Plan B, Deviation at PAradise), but this one is free and in Brixton - if anyone else is heading let me know - im probably going to head straight there and catch the last bus home
260813gmp.jpg

next door at Hootenany on the Monday is Freddie McGregor, but £15 advance £20 on the door

Unreliable acquaintance has reliabled uo so might make it. Weather isn't looking that good though :(

Thanks for all the posts - just trying to get the family motivated. We usually head for the green space at the end All Saints and the DMC jungle system with abit of channel 1 etc after watching the parade.

There are a few decent 2013 maps at the RBKC site :-

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/leisureandlibraries/events/nottinghillcarnival.aspx

Official carnival site with google map listing sound systems

http://www.thelondonnottinghillcarnival.com/carnival.html

B.A.S.S map:-

http://www.bassline.org.uk/Map Large.htm

Carnival oddities. We have a massive truck with a cctv camera on a crane right outside our house, Barclays bank is boarded up and they've even covered the sign, some random gypsy music is currently blaring...and Tesco opened early on a Sunday. Woo!

Carnival oddities. We have a massive truck with a cctv camera on a crane right outside our house, Barclays bank is boarded up and they've even covered the sign, some random gypsy music is currently blaring...and Tesco opened early on a Sunday. Woo!
Get the kettle on mate. We'll be popping round to yours soon for a cuppa :)

Seriously, what made you think an iPad was the ideal photographic device for the carnival?

Seriously.

Not you mango obviously.

Really nice day yesterday. Good crowd and well behaved police. Couldn't find a hard copy map of the sound systems for the life of me so was relying on memory as I always travel very light for carnival.

Beautiful day yesterday. Far less police than in recent years and less youngsters being stopped but they did seem to block areas at times e.g. around Rampage and Abashanti. That 9bar rig for Pineapple Tribe was awesome whilst the drum'n'bass rig sounded rough even though the music and MC were killa.

Had a great afternoon yesterday and am going back for more today. We arrived quite late in the day from Queens Park so had to do stupid amounts of walking around the police blocks on certain roads, they said due to overcrowding. Spent a bit of time at Goodtimes and 4play, really nice vibes/crowd, had the usual carnival bonding/boogie moments with people in the long queues for the loo :D then ended up in Kenricks on Harrow Road afterwards soca-ing it up! Nice. :)

Today...To Abashanti or not to Abashanti, that is the question? ;)

Back
Top Bottom