Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Norwood and Brixton Foodbank needs your help as record numbers served

On says website they have plenty of tea and pasta.

Need :

UHT Milk, tinned vegetables, tinned meat, cereal, tinned rice pudding, dried milk.

We do a drop for the Peckham one each week. its good to research what they need beforehand as they have limited stock space and want to turn stuff around quickly - over the summer we seems to do lots of anti perspirant sticks and womens sanitary stuff- last drop we did was shaving cream and razors - people forget that shopping and consumables are not just food IKYWIM. Alos- Tesco and suchlike do contribute stuff directly but don't make a massive fuss about it & don't advertise the fact.

We need pretty much everything at the moment - harvest festival boosted the shelves somewhat but the warehouse is pretty bare. As well as food, laundry powder is always welcome as we get a lot of request for that, and all toiletries. Small jars of coffee always fly off the shelves too. Also - if you have a plastic bag mountain under your kitchen sink getting in the way we'll gladly take them off your hands to pack the food in for clients to carry home.

We had some lovely people come and drop in donations this morning, having read about food bank online - it made me all emotional! Thanks so much if any of you are reading this, and thanks editor for helping to get the word out!

The collection Box in the Streatham Tesco says they top up all donations with an extra 30%. So I figure that anything I spend on food bank items in Tesco will be matched by Tesco at a higher level than their profit margin on the original item. So the net effect is that the Food Bank gets an extra 30% and Tesco makes a net loss from items I have bought for the food bank.

I have also heard from one food bank that the supermarkets do contribute more than they talk about.

I've been getting some food to take to Ferndale road this Saturday.

See items needed now are:

Urgently needed items

Christmas themed goods eg puddings, cakes and treats
tinned tomatoes
tinned meat including chicken in white sauce
toiletries
washing-up liquid

I have noticed a big post-Christmas drop-off in the amount of food in the supermarket collection boxes. My few items have looked very alone in the bottom of the box these last few weeks, whereas before Christmas they were bursting. I guess people are broke after Christmas until February payday.

Back
Top Bottom