Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Noise cancelling headphones

The Sony WH- CH720Ns are going for £75 on amazon now... they're the workhorses I use for work and when I'm out and about.. decent at muffling general noise... and decent sound quality.

Now going for £65.

I've just replaced my Sony XM4s with XM5s. Sound quality and noise cancelling are excellent. Slightly more comfortable than the XM4s.

Now going for £65.

I've just replaced my Sony XM4s with XM5s. Sound quality and noise cancelling are excellent. Slightly more comfortable than the XM4s.

I had a pair of XM5s sprung on me for my birthday on Sunday to replace some XM3s that have lasted six years and were still doing fine really, although looking very tatty around the ear pads. I agree the new model is more comfortable. I really like the way music pauses when you take them off. It’s fantastic to be able to switch off the fuckwitted ear tapping controls that were only ever triggered by accident.

I am not sure I’m detecting any significant difference in sound quality, to be honest. They are still clear and bright without being too cold, if that makes sense. The noise cancelling is definitely different, they are now much better at eliminating persistent noise in lower registers and less good at dealing with sudden intrusive higher registers. So they would be absolutely perfect for trains and tubes (neither of which I ever use, or am likely to use again) and they should be great for shutting off hoovers and fans, but they might be slightly less handy than their predecessors at blocking off shrieks of childish delight, or that one irritating colleague in a small office (again, not something I have to deal with any more).

What is this 360 audio nonsense meant to be about? As far as I can tell, nothing has been recorded on it except for some live concerts, which always sound terribly anyway, and a few random pop songs by minor artists. Yet it dominates the bumph that comes with the XM5s.

Back
Top Bottom