Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Noise cancelling headphones

Can anyone recommend some Bluetooth headphones that are noise-cancelling BOTH WAYS, so they can be used out and about as well as at home?

What do you mean by 'both ways'? As in offers some kind of on/off noise cancelling, or a transparency/ambient mode for safely walking outdoors in the street?

What do you mean by 'both ways'? As in offers some kind of on/off noise cancelling, or a transparency/ambient mode for safely walking outdoors in the street?
they ‘cancel’ the noise coming in AND going out?
I only found out last year that noise-cancelling earphones only cancel the noise coming IN. I’d been using them for years at top volume. Amazed no-one ever tapped me on the shoulder in the quiet carriage of a train!

I only found out last year that noise-cancelling earphones only cancel the noise coming IN. I’d been using them for years at top volume. Amazed no-one ever tapped me on the shoulder in the quiet carriage of a train!

They are usually quiet for other people because you don’t need them to be very loud.

I've never heard of such a thing as noise cancelling going the other way. Technically, it wouldn't make much sense, the basic concept of noise cancelling relies on mics recording the sound from outside the cans and phase inverting it to the speakers on the inside. To create the same effect on the other side out in the open would be practically impossible.

But as Silas Loom says, once you have proper noise cancelling, you don't need massively loud music coming in anyway, and the nature of how most of them are designed are such that they block out a lot more sound than regular headphones.

I've never heard of such a thing as noise cancelling going the other way. Technically, it wouldn't make much sense, the basic concept of noise cancelling relies on mics recording the sound from outside the cans and phase inverting it to the speakers on the inside. To create the same effect on the other side out in the open would be practically impossible.

But as Silas Loom says, once you have proper noise cancelling, you don't need massively loud music coming in anyway, and the nature of how most of them are designed are such that they block out a lot more sound than regular headphones.
I just want to listen to loud music without disturbing others. That’s what I’d assumed noise-cancelling meant. That’s what it SHOULD mean.

Personally, I’d like noise-cancelling headphones to actively seek out and destroy external sources of sonic intrusion. Maybe with lasers.

Any other suggestions on what the term should ideally mean?
Agree they need to call it something else to avoid such confusion.

Other reviewers hate them, I’ve just seen. Anyway, my Sony MX3s are still going strong after over six years of constant use, so I’m not really in the market until someone comes out with a serious improvement in noise cancelling.
Aye - My Bose and Airpod combo covers all bases (not together, obvs).

Maybe Orang Utan could use summat like Airpods underneath some ear defenders - that'd cover this both ways scenario.

I kinda do the same things if I can't be bothered taking my sound blockers (hearing aids) out - I use the Bose over-ear-style headphones instead of the Airpods with that background noise thing switched on, which I obviously have to remove when using the Airpods.

Ooh timely thread bump.

Couldn’t find my old bose in ear buds so had to make an emergency airport purchase.

Got these as I’m used to the excellent noise cancelling of Bose

Immediate observations…

They are fiddly as fuck to get in and out the shiny case, the shiny case doesn’t has a click close, it just sort of hinges and feels like it would flip open in your pocket.

So not a good start

Three sizes of rubber buds and flanges to choose so the fit in the ear is incredibly good and they are much smaller than the previous models

The important bit! The noise cancelling is absolutely incredible, better than Bose big cans better than the wired NC ear buds

Absolutely extraordinary feeling when you put them in and they click on to NC mode. Spent 24 hours in airports and planes and they take it all away.

A lot of the time I wasn’t listening to music just silky silence.

Not worked out the touch controls, short cuts and phone activities yet

The gimmick of the surround sound “immersive sound” is bollocks

Going to have to shell out 25 quid on a case cover I can get hold of without dropping it like a bar of wet soap

On the NC alone 9/10

Ooh timely thread bump.

Couldn’t find my old bose in ear buds so had to make an emergency airport purchase.

Immediate observations…

They are fiddly as fuck to get in and out the shiny case, the shiny case doesn’t has a click close, it just sort of hinges and feels like it would flip open in your pocket.

So not a good start

Three sizes of rubber buds and flanges to choose so the fit in the ear is incredibly good and they are much smaller than the previous models

The important bit! The noise cancelling is absolutely incredible, better than Bose big cans better than the wired NC ear buds

Absolutely extraordinary feeling when you put them in and they click on to NC mode. Spent 24 hours in airports and planes and they take it all away.

Going to have to shell out 25 quid on a case cover I can get hold of without dropping it like a bar of wet soap

On the NC alone 9/10
I thought the same about the Airpods case (like it'd flip open) it never has, though. Maybe they have lil magnets in them? Or super-hinges?

I had some Amazon buds that were very similar in shape to these and they would never stay in my ears, so much so they were sent back. Tried all the flanges and tips to no avail. Maybe it's my ears?

You're review of the ANC makes me eager to compare these to my Airpods but I don't suppose I can walk into Currys and try a pair like you can with the over ear cans - because, y'know, yuck. It'd be like test driving some new undercrackers in M&S.

I've had these for a few years now - you can get them at various places for less than the price listed on here.

Great for things like flight and train noise - less so for stuff like people talking.
Also, sound quality is great.

Ooh timely thread bump.

Immediate observations…

So not a good start

On the NC alone 9/10

£250!! :eek:

I'd love to demo these though. I take my Sony MX3s on every flight but even though they are great at reducing much of the noise and I wouldn't travel without them, I can still hear more than I'd like (cabin announcements etc). Plus sleeping with them on is a pain. I'd genuinely love a pair of in-ears which can outmatch the over ear cans.

Spent 24 hours in airports and planes and they take it all away.

Are they really that good?

Ordered the Anker Q30s and my first impression is that the ear cups feel a little tight coming from my none noise-cancelling Steel Series Artic 7. I'm quite tempted to return them and get the Q45 which are supposed to be a little wider. Has anyone owned both?

£250!! :eek:

I'd love to demo these though. I take my Sony MX3s on every flight but even though they are great at reducing much of the noise and I wouldn't travel without them, I can still hear more than I'd like (cabin announcements etc). Plus sleeping with them on is a pain. I'd genuinely love a pair of in-ears which can outmatch the over ear cans.

Are they really that good?
I think so and I’m comparing them to various previous iterations of Bose NC earphones and buds

It’s an uncanny silence that catches you off guard. Perhaps because when you put them in there is a start up message and sound and delay before the NC kicks in, when it does its like being submerged in some viscous liquid.

Interestingly as you get used to them you start tuning in little bits of background noise as if the NC initially overwhelms the sense of/perception of hearing and it returns a little bit to you slowly

It’s a shame people can’t try them out before they buy, they are a bit pricey to buy blind (deaf)

Ordered the Anker Q30s and my first impression is that the ear cups feel a little tight coming from my none noise-cancelling Steel Series Artic 7. I'm quite tempted to return them and get the Q45 which are supposed to be a little wider. Has anyone owned both?

I've done what should have been blindingly obvious. I've ordered the Q45s before returning Q30s, so I can decide if they are worth the extra money comfort wise, although improved microphone quality and better ANC would also be nice.

I've done what should have been blindingly obvious. I've ordered the Q45s before returning Q30s, so I can decide if they are worth the extra money comfort wise, although improved microphone quality and better ANC would also be nice.
Bose QC45's?

Yes, they are bigger than the Q30's. My ears fit in the Bose better, they're completely covered as opposed to nearly being covered. I think this in itself improves noise reduction (not cancellation) as the ear is sealed in iykwim.

I'd say the ANC is better too.

This said, my ears aren't your ears, so YMMV.

Bose QC45's?

Yes, they are bigger than the Q30's. My ears fit in the Bose better, they're completely covered as opposed to nearly being covered. I think this in itself improves noise reduction (not cancellation) as the ear is sealed in iykwim.

I'd say the ANC is better too.

This said, my ears aren't your ears, so YMMV.

No, the Anker Q45, but can see why having them properly covered helps. I don't even think my ears are huge, so it's surprising. It's the comfort thing as well, as I wear headphones for much of the day when in the office.

I've got a pair of Sony XM5's headphones that are pretty much brand new. I've had to order the buds instead as the headphones are irritating my industrial bar after a couple of hours of use.

I'm probably going to sell my XM5's and thought I'd offer them here first for £170? I can send the receipt that shows I bought them at the start of April. They are going for roughly £200 on eBay but I always find selling things stressful on there. That'll cover the cost of my buds nearly.

Overall I do really like them especially when I sorted out the EQ so it pulled a bit more bass through. PM if you're interested.

I've been fairly impressed with the Anker Q45s performance and sound quality, although I wear them for work, so not blasting any music through them. I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the microphone, considering there's no boom mic. Not impressed by the controls, you've basically got to take them off to find anything, but I don't need to do it often. However now I've been using them, my very cheap earbuds seem rather lacking.

Has anyone used the Anker A40s they seem fairly well reviewed for the price and it's my birthday coming up :D

Other reviewers hate them, I’ve just seen. Anyway, my Sony MX3s are still going strong after over six years of constant use, so I’m not really in the market until someone comes out with a serious improvement in noise cancelling.
I've got those and the build quality his great but I'm so tempted on splurging out on the XM6 when it comes out later this year as I never really buy myself anything. I find them a bit heavy though so for walking around have got a pair of Sony 720 which have a decent level of NC but nothing comparable to to the XM3 but are so lghtweight you I keep forgetting I have them around my neck.

I've had these for a few years now - you can get them at various places for less than the price listed on here.

Great for things like flight and train noise - less so for stuff like people talking.
Also, sound quality is great.

So, 9 days after some crazy heart surgery I think I can def confirm these are great if you’re in hospital.

The Sony WH- CH720Ns are going for £75 on amazon now... they're the workhorses I use for work and when I'm out and about.. decent at muffling general noise... and decent sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom