Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Noise cancelling headphones

Since when was bluetooth not allowed on planes? I use mine all the time.
It was in the announcements on the last four planes I have been on, I was also spesifcally told not to use my bluetooth headphones on my second to last flight, and when I switch my phone and laptop into flight mode the bluetooth disconnects.

It was in the announcements on the last four planes I have been on, I was also spesifcally told not to use my bluetooth headphones on my second to last flight, and when I switch my phone and laptop into flight mode the bluetooth disconnects.

Strange I've never had that announcement. I know about switching to inflight mode to disable mobile signal/data of course, but never been told to not use bluetooth.

Just during take-off and landing innit?

Rules seem to vary between airlines.

Apparently Air France, and Air Canada don't allow bluetooth on any part of a flight on flights without wifi. Many others only restrict at takeoff and landing, some don't at all.

Which I assume you not actually allowed to use because it's bluetooth (which isn't allowed in flight). . . . EDIT - Though according to the reviews nobody seems to care or has been stopped from using it.

Either way, useful tool .

I've never had any problems usinfg Bluetooth headphones on flights, and very few airlines ban them outright.

You’re Allowed to Use Bluetooth Devices on Planes (For the Most Part)​

Most commonly, you’ll be allowed to use Bluetooth headphones and other Bluetooth devices during the flight, except for the security briefing, take-off, landing, and any turbulence.

However, the rules vary a lot between different airlines. Between all the popular airlines, only Air France and Air Canada (on flights without WiFi) don’t allow using Bluetooth devices during the flight. Other ones, like Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and Wizz Air allow using Bluetooth devices during all stages of the flight, even take-off, and landing. You’ll find out the specific rules for 22 popular airlines further down in this article.

There aren’t any restrictions from airline regulators that would limit the use of Bluetooth devices during the flight. They only limit cellular connections, which may interfere with the airline hardware, so they ask passengers to switch their devices to Airplane Mode, which blocks calls and mobile data.

Most people think that Bluetooth devices are heavily regulated on planes. That’s because airlines ask you to set your devices to Airplane Mode during the flight to limit interference with the aircraft communication systems. And since Bluetooth is another type of connection, it could also interfere.

It turns out that Bluetooth actually is pretty harmless. It can pose a risk to older aircraft models, which is why Bluetooth devices are still regulated on some airlines, but for the most part, it’s harmless. All newer aircraft are built to handle the use of Bluetooth devices.

However, the rules vary a lot between different airlines. Between all the popular airlines, only Air France and Air Canada (on flights without WiFi) don’t allow using Bluetooth devices during the flight. Other ones, like Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, and Wizz Air allow using Bluetooth devices during all stages of the flight, even take-off, and landing. You’ll find out the specific rules for 22 popular airlines further down in this article.

There aren’t any restrictions from airline regulators that would limit the use of Bluetooth devices during the flight. They only limit cellular connections, which may interfere with the airline hardware, so they ask passengers to switch their devices to Airplane Mode, which blocks calls and mobile data.

Just during take-off and landing innit?
Nah, I was told it was for the full duration.
Thought it was just for take off but was told not to use my bluetooth headphones mid flight when I had them on.

EDIT. . .
But I have now seen the above post. Does look like it is OK in most cases, maybe ANA or JAL were being super careful? I'm pretty sure they said it was for he whole flight. I remember being a bit gutted. Just wanted to pop my headphones in, put on some music and go to sleep.

I'll get something like this before my next flight...

51yxpJyKGkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i've used cheap bluetooth transmitters like that before, they've always transmitted sound reasonably well but i've often found the latency is so high you can't use them for watching TV due to the sync issues they introduce.

i've used cheap bluetooth transmitters like that before, they've always transmitted sound reasonably well but i've often found the latency is so high you can't use them for watching TV due to the sync issues they introduce.
Reviews for the newer ones (such as they can be trusted) suggest that lag isn't always a problem.

Sony WH-1000XM4 for over-ears (Just... use better names Sony?). Expensive but excellent. They knocked £30 off for black friday, but seem tight on sales in general. The XM3s are likely available cheaper and afaik there's not a huge difference.

Another vote for these- excellent at cutting out traffic noise.

Reactions: Cid
For value, it's hard to beat the Anker Soundcore Q20s. They're astonishingly good for £50 or less.

How do these do for cutting out crap like other people's music/video noise on tubes/buses?

How do these do for cutting out crap like other people's music/video noise on tubes/buses?
Very good for this kind of thing. What I find they do is cut out the background noise completely almost, so engine noise on a bus or plane and the buzz you get from lots of conversations going on - and the voices nearby are reduced in volume a great deal but not cut out in the same way. And that's without listening to anything, just wearing them with the noise cancelling switched on - so if you have a podcast or some music playing, you're golden.

Very good for this kind of thing. What I find they do is cut out the background noise completely almost, so engine noise on a bus or plane and the buzz you get from lots of conversations going on - and the voices nearby are reduced in volume a great deal but not cut out in the same way. And that's without listening to anything, just wearing them with the noise cancelling switched on - so if you have a podcast or some music playing, you're golden.

I've got a pair - but I'm finding I'm getting a weird bass pulse sound out one side when i just have them on noise cancelling.. I will experiment abit longer.. Seems from reviews that some other folk have had the same problem.

I've got a pair - but I'm finding I'm getting a weird bass pulse sound out one side when i just have them on noise cancelling.. I will experiment abit longer.. Seems from reviews that some other folk have had the same problem.
Sorry to hear this - which did you get? The Anker q30? Is it a fault with that model specifically people are talking about? If it is - I'd send them back.

I've never experienced this with a number of different brands of ANC headphones.

Yeah - I'm going to return them. I was going to try another pair, but I think i might be tempted with these - which some algorithm kindly spammed me with.

WH-CH720N Wireless Noise Cancelling | Headphones | Sony UK

Look pretty good for £99.
Aye - no point hanging on to them if they aren't floating your boat/doing what you thought/expected.

The Sony's look good - I've never had any but hear (geddit) good things about them.

For value, it's hard to beat the Anker Soundcore Q20s. They're astonishingly good for £50 or less.

On this recommendation I got them. Had them about two weeks. Using on my phone and TV. They are comfortable and work well. They cover my ears rather than sitting on them. Which I prefer. Noise cancelling is good. Have not had that before. So yes good budget headphones. Battery life is good. But have not had them long enough to see if the battery still works well after a few months.

Yeah - I just got them last week - sound quality is excellent. Noise cancelling is pretty good as well - not up with the more expensive Sony pair- but good enough for tube/bus. Definitely recommend them. Only negative would be that they ain't foldable for travelling.

Bloody hell. You can pick up a pair of Aukey EP-N5 earbuds with ANC for £13.99 right now.

Aukey-EP-N5-1-1920x1080.jpg

They usually go for around £50

There is little to criticise about Aukey’s EP-N5 except for the missing volume control. These weatherproof wireless headphones, suitable for travel and sport, are comfortable to wear and score points from a sound point of view with their all-rounder qualities. Even the noise suppression is not embarrassed by more expensive systems, as even complex sources of interference are skilfully attenuated and the noise cancelling does not produce any perceptible background noise.

Ordered a pair as I seem to have misplaced my Anker buds😡.
Hopefully, I haven't lost them, but we'll see.

I'll let you know how they are.

e2a: even cheaper now @ £11.98 :rolleyes:
via HUKD/MyMemory using discount code - details HERE

Bloody hell. You can pick up a pair of Aukey EP-N5 earbuds with ANC for £13.99 right now.

Aukey-EP-N5-1-1920x1080.jpg

They usually go for around £50

Quick review: they sound pretty good for the price, decent build quality, ANC pretty minimal, touch controls are really buggy (don't tap - touch!) but still a bargain for under £15.

Quick review: they sound pretty good for the price, decent build quality, ANC pretty minimal, touch controls are really buggy (don't tap - touch!) but still a bargain for under £15.
Yeah, I say the same. They are a bargain. The ANC could be better, but hey, £14!

I've used them every day since I got them.

The touch as opposed to tap is something to get used to, the main hurdle being remembering to touch/press.

Thanks to an Amazon gift voucher I've decided to gift my brother my Soundcore Q20s and buy myself the Q45s seeing as they've just gone down 20% in price to £109.

Get in quick if you fancy the same deal! https://amzn.to/3H5nTAC

Review: Anker Soundcore Space Q45 review: Great ANC for half the price of Bose 700
editor How are you finding the Q45s v the old Q20s (today the Anker Q45 is £105 on Amazon)

Reason for asking - Nick minor has has Q20s for over 3 years and they have started disintegrating (pads ripped after being replaced once already etc) . They've had a good run
Expressing desire for something better, and they deserve something nicer because good A Level predictions just came in (They already have some in-ear P3's that they use at school as sometimes they find external noises overwhelming)
Thinking of moving up the Anker Hierarchy for them, but I occasionally read that some models can be duff. Don't want to go to Sony MX3/4 or Bose QC cost levels.

Are there any sweet spots that people can recommend (for over ear models) that are better than Anker Q20, but not as pricey as Bose QC or Sony MX?

Back
Top Bottom