Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Noise cancelling headphones

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
Can anyone recommend some decent ones? Something that will let me listen to a podcast or some music without having to crank the volume up to extreme levels to shut out the screeching roar of the Jubilee Line each day.

Can anyone recommend some decent ones? Something that will let me listen to a podcast or some music without having to crank the volume up to extreme levels to shut out the screeching roar of the Jubilee Line each day.
I’ve got these and they’re excellent if pricey.

Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Wireless Over Ear Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation - Space Grey https://amzn.eu/d/8XFeQMH

They are an old model - used to be more expensive but the PX7 S2 have replaced them so the price has gone down.

Sony WH-1000XM4 for over-ears (Just... use better names Sony?). Expensive but excellent. They knocked £30 off for black friday, but seem tight on sales in general. The XM3s are likely available cheaper and afaik there's not a huge difference.

For value, it's hard to beat the Anker Soundcore Q20s. They're astonishingly good for £50 or less.

Bose are generally good. Mine are QC25 I think. They're normally quite expensive but you sometimes see a deal

For value, it's hard to beat the Anker Soundcore Q20s. They're astonishingly good for £50 or less.

I have these. They’re great.

I got the in ear version of those and they're incredible value.
For over ear ones, I splashed out on the top of the range Sonys during lockdown as I was in need of a treat. Supposed to be the best on the market according to numerous audiophile sites but tbh there's no way they are worth £200 more than Anker if the OP is mostly listening to podcasts.

My pair are still delivering after 2 years of regular use. I don’t listen to podcasts tho, mostly just Reggae/Dub. To think they were less that £40 at that time.

This thread has just reminded me of a massive depressing facepalm I did at the end of my return 14 hour flight to the UK at the beginning of the month.
Family were moved up to premium economy and I was really pleased with the extra big seat and leg room AND lovely big comfy headphones.
But . . .
About 30 minutes before we prepared to land I discovered the headphones had a switch on the side . . THEY WERE NOISE CANCELLING !!!!
Amazing headphones, shut out all sound from the aircraft, made the films and music on screen crystal clear. I almost cried. I was absolutely gutted. I hadn't slept a wink. Just thinking about it again makes my heart sink.

This, for the price & ANC combo, is a big win.

I have these and a pair of Bose QC35ii and they are both great. The Bose are better and were 7 or 8 times the cost of the Ankers.

Bose has a nifty app where you can amend the amount of ANC that is happening Nil, Mid, High I suppose. That's useful in some settings. Plus you can use them wired or BTooth. Can't recall if the Ankers have a cable port.

This, for the price & ANC combo, is a big win.

I have these and a pair of Bose QC35ii and they are both great. The Bose are better and were 7 or 8 times the cost of the Ankers.

Bose has a nifty app where you can amend the amount of ANC that is happening Nil, Mid, High I suppose. That's useful in some settings. Plus you can use them wired or BTooth. Can't recall if the Ankers have a cable port.
to add:

another thing I really like about these is the fact they charge so quickly.

5 mins = 4 hours of listening according to the specs sheet.

I stick them on when I am having a shower [this is my charge things prompt, headphones, watch, phone etc] and after a shower and a brew, they're good for a full day's use. Plus you can stick them on charge at the office when you're not using them, can't you? I've never had them run out of juice.

Please note that both the Q20's and the QC35ii's are micro USB charge ports - some people are bothered by this a great deal. Yes it would be better if everything was USB C but we're getting there :) plus I has a few of these dotted around my places
61PyopytjCL._SL1500_.jpg

This thread has just reminded me of a massive depressing facepalm I did at the end of my return 14 hour flight to the UK at the beginning of the month.
Family were moved up to premium economy and I was really pleased with the extra big seat and leg room AND lovely big comfy headphones.
But . . .
About 30 minutes before we prepared to land I discovered the headphones had a switch on the side . . THEY WERE NOISE CANCELLING !!!!
Amazing headphones, shut out all sound from the aircraft, made the films and music on screen crystal clear. I almost cried. I was absolutely gutted. I hadn't slept a wink. Just thinking about it again makes my heart sink.

I won't fly without noise cancelling earphones ever again. In fact mine are almost exclusively for flying and trains now (unless I forget my airpods somewhere). They are worth every penny.

I've got the XM3's in a sale and they're very good, but still expensive.
It's true they are expensive, but mine have lasted me a long time now so been really happy with the experience and no real drop off in battery life. Another plus of these Sony's is I think the batteries are designed to be easier to replace.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audios Melmonas which are a bit cheaper and also good - think they are noise cancelling.

I won't fly without noise cancelling earphones ever again. In fact mine are almost exclusively for flying and trains now (unless I forget my airpods somewhere). They are worth every penny.
I did bring in ear headphones (which I use for trains) which I suppose are essentially ear plugs with music playing through them, but they wouldn't let me use them as they were bluetooth (I also obviously couldn't connect them to the flight system either).

I did bring in ear headphones (which I use for trains) which I suppose are essentially ear plugs with music playing through them, but they wouldn't let me use them as they were bluetooth (I also obviously couldn't connect them to the flight system either).

In case useful for the future, they sell things now which let you connect wireless earbuds/headphones to in-flight systems.

Back
Top Bottom