Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nintendo Switch

Got a switch for the kids. They're 6and 8. Any recommendations for good kids games? Got Mario World and kart. And animal crossing.

Luigis mansion is good and kid friendly. The two player mode had them working together rather than against each other too.

Finally - here comes the Switch pro
games radar

I'm hoping the dock is backwards compatible: my current one keeps on failing with the green flashing light of death and replacements are all but impossible to find. Seems easier just to get a new switch

Finally - here comes the Switch pro
games radar

I'm hoping the dock is backwards compatible: my current one keeps on failing with the green flashing light of death and replacements are all but impossible to find. Seems easier just to get a new switch
As someone who's held off waiting for the inevitable upgrade, it's a bit disappointing. But only a bit. I'd liked to have seen an updated SoC that improved battery life and tackled the low FPS floors on many titles, even if it wasn't powerful enough to unlock any new potential. I've got a 10 year-old PC that an emulate a Switch game almost as quickly as a real Switch can play it. But I'm still going to buy it, or the ten year-old will have my head.

Right I'm not wasting my time with shit ports anymore. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy a premium Nintendo game. So far I've played Luigi's Mansion and Zelda both of which were great. What are people recommending as the best mario game?

I do think there are to many lazy ports and reboots on this system.

Thanks wasn't sure on Odyssey, but I will go for it. I realise they hardly ever go on sale so I'll just pay whatever for it. I tried to get Mario Kart on eBay, but the person didn't send it.

Right I'm not wasting my time with shit ports anymore. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy a premium Nintendo game. So far I've played Luigi's Mansion and Zelda both of which were great. What are people recommending as the best mario game?

I do think there are to many lazy ports and reboots on this system.
There's infinite replay value in Mario Maker 2. Though you admittedly have to want to create a few of your own to get the full value out of it.

Bought the kids a Switch for eldest’s birthday (that sounds shit but we promised them a Switch to share but gave him his birthday present (two full Liverpool kits :mad:) early on the proviso he knows the Switch for his birthday isn’t just his.

What do we need? Mario Kart is included. I’ve also bought Just Dance. Can we use the controllers for that? I don’t want them hijacking my phone for hours on end.

My other half bought me the new OLED Switch for Christmas, I was allowed it a week early. I had the OG model when it was first released but sold it around this time last year to help fund my twins first Xmas. The screen is legitimately fucking beautiful, I'm a real nit picker for pixels and screen resolutions etc and it manages to come across as higher resolution than the numbers would indicate. The colours really pop and with the vivid screen display mode the saturation looks super intense. The black levels help make horror games even scarier (RE2 remake!).

Would I have liked a more powerful ''pro'' model and not just a screen bump? Meh. Perhaps. Honestly I think I'd rather the next Switch iteration to focus more on the dock, give it some added gubbins to help boost it to 4K resolution and I'd be happy to keep the actual handheld as it is (maybe battery boost?). My biggest gripe would be with the Joycons, for the extreme price they feel alittle too flimsy and I hate the creaking and flexing you get when you play in handheld mode.

Bought the kids a Switch for eldest’s birthday (that sounds shit but we promised them a Switch to share but gave him his birthday present (two full Liverpool kits :mad:) early on the proviso he knows the Switch for his birthday isn’t just his.

What do we need? Mario Kart is included. I’ve also bought Just Dance. Can we use the controllers for that? I don’t want them hijacking my phone for hours on end.
I think you can use the controllers for just dance. They’ve got motion sensors
Mario kart is great fun

My other half bought me the new OLED Switch for Christmas, I was allowed it a week early. I had the OG model when it was first released but sold it around this time last year to help fund my twins first Xmas. The screen is legitimately fucking beautiful, I'm a real nit picker for pixels and screen resolutions etc and it manages to come across as higher resolution than the numbers would indicate. The colours really pop and with the vivid screen display mode the saturation looks super intense. The black levels help make horror games even scarier (RE2 remake!).

Would I have liked a more powerful ''pro'' model and not just a screen bump? Meh. Perhaps. Honestly I think I'd rather the next Switch iteration to focus more on the dock, give it some added gubbins to help boost it to 4K resolution and I'd be happy to keep the actual handheld as it is (maybe battery boost?). My biggest gripe would be with the Joycons, for the extreme price they feel alittle too flimsy and I hate the creaking and flexing you get when you play in handheld mode.
I don't get the fuss over 4k upscaling. Most decent 4k screens upscale just fine (and I've got a fancy oled one that's quite amazing at it). Some of the bargain basement ones make a hash of it, but you'd expect that when you can buy a cheap 4k screen for less than the cost of a Switch. A bit more GPU oomph would be welcome, but the 4k thing is what I'd expect tossed in for free and not something worth paying for. Even an upgraded Switch isn't going to have the power to render natively at over 1080 (something it rarely manages now) anyhow.

I don't get the fuss over 4k upscaling. Most decent 4k screens upscale just fine (and I've got a fancy oled one that's quite amazing at it). Some of the bargain basement ones make a hash of it, but you'd expect that when you can buy a cheap 4k screen for less than the cost of a Switch. A bit more GPU oomph would be welcome, but the 4k thing is what I'd expect tossed in for free and not something worth paying for. Even an upgraded Switch isn't going to have the power to render natively at over 1080 anyhow.
Upscaling is my issue. I'd rather the next iteration be capable of outputting 4k natively. Hard to find a TV these days that isn't 4K and once you've seen the difference going back is pretty rough.

Upscaling is my issue. I'd rather the next iteration be capable of outputting 4k natively. Hard to find a TV these days that isn't 4K and once you've seen the difference going back is pretty rough.
That's not going to happen. The current Xbox and Playstation can't do it in most circumstances, so there's zero chance the next Switch will. With a lot of luck, it will do 1440p.

That's not going to happen. The current Xbox and Playstation can't do it in most circumstances, so there's zero chance the next Switch will. With a lot of luck, it will do 1440p.
Eh? They can both do 4K at 30fps without breaking a sweat.

Edit: Also, outside the realms of computer monitors, 1440p is terribly uncommon. It would make zero sense to make that resolution their goal, when 4K TV's are so prevalent.

Eh? They can both do 4K at 30fps without breaking a sweat.
I suppose if 30fps is acceptable. I don't think it is - I'd take an upscaled 60fps every time, but I'm quite sensitive to stutter. It really irks me.
They can do 4k60 in many cases, but with dynamic detail levels that hope you don't notice what's not in the centre of the screen being lower fidelity. Assassin's Creed Valhalla looks... interesting that way, and Ubi is probably the best in the market at the technique. That said, I've only seen what the PS5 can do. The Xbox is a smidge more powerful so may be better at it.

But back the to Switch... The current one can't do 2k30 in most cases, the next one would need at least 5x better performance just to do 4k30. In a portable shell. I reckon if Apple provides the next Switch CPU it could happen, but that's pretty unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom