Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next Microsoft flight simulator looks astonishing

Wealthy PC owners just chuck away their computers every few years when they stop working. They can afford to. They can also afford to spend a lot of time playing games instead of earning a living. Hence, the PC market sees so much high spec disposable stuff. Also, money doesn't buy taste. Which is why you see all the multicoloured LEDs and ugly keyboards.

A mate of mine bought a Mac. It does look pretty. But £3k for something to surf the web, listen to music and watch films on seems a bit much and is more than what I spent on a laptop that runs flight simulator 2020.

Wealthy PC owners just chuck away their computers every few years when they stop working. They can afford to. They can also afford to spend a lot of time playing games instead of earning a living. Hence, the PC market sees so much high spec disposable stuff. Also, money doesn't buy taste. Which is why you see all the multicoloured LEDs and ugly keyboards.

Whilst I agree with the bit about taste I call bullshit on the other bits. People who have high end builds will upgrade not chuck away the whole machine.

Wealthy PC owners just chuck away their computers every few years when they stop working.

Maybe wealthy ones do, but so what? Wealthy people splurge money on all sorts of things. Like a $1000 monitor stand. You really do make yourself look like a fool by pursuing this.

They can afford to. They can also afford to spend a lot of time playing games instead of earning a living.

I somehow manage to find the time to pursue my hobby, despite working a full-time job that has kept me me working throughout the coronavirus outbreak. You don't have to be wealthy to have time for hobbies.

Hence, the PC market sees so much high spec disposable stuff.

Bollocks. I had a Logitech mouse that lasted for years, and might even still be fixable if I can be arsed to open it up.

Also, money doesn't buy taste. Which is why you see all the multicoloured LEDs and ugly keyboards.

Taste is subjective. I think the black and RGB look fucking kicks the arse of that white shit.

NoXion chucked away his last high spec PC only about 3 years ago, it appears. Probably threw a few £50 notes into the bin after it, just for a laugh.

In fact I haven't thrown it away. My friends know who to get hold of if they want a PC for the low price of me fixing what's wrong with it.

I think I fixed my constant crashing problem - flashed the BIOS last night (new release a couple of weeks ago) and now I can play MSFS on Ultra settings comfortably with no unexpected reboots (yet). Huzzah. (No real idea what in the BIOS could have been causing complete shutdowns, but prefer this solution to having to buy more RAM.)

Strangely I had an unsolicited BIOS update from hp today and can now run the sim with ultimate settings. :hmm:
(I don’t care about ultimate but wanted to try it because I’m looking for the Nazca lines).

Did you manage to find them? I tried the other day (using the coords from Wikimaps) but couldn't see them - not sure if I was too high or too low...

I saw some zigzags down some hills but no glyphs. Slightly northwards along the coast to the location marked with the red dot here.

FE3D4382-DE40-4013-B745-ADBB343C8A3C.png
E2a: hmm red dot is missing. Look for this map on Wikipedia page.

Any idea what the likely time-frame on this is, though? I've heard rumours of parts shortages, although they are probably bollocks.

Just been announced. Available end of Sept.

is there any way to get russian planes on this flight simulator, eg a tu-95 - or indeed american military aircraft like a b-52 or f-4 phantom?

is there any way to get russian planes on this flight simulator, eg a tu-95 - or indeed american military aircraft like a b-52 or f-4 phantom?

I assume that would have to be done through mods, since the list of available aircraft in the standard retail version is surprisingly Spartan. Unless they're planning to release official DLC, but that will come later if it does.

Actually the 1080 still looks a bit pricey so maybe I’m talking bollocks. I think the 3080 is expected in q4. But yeah, Corona may have changed all that.

I can get what I reckon is a pretty decent i7 machine for ~£1920. I was originally going to go for a GTX 1660, but the crossover between reaching my saving goals and dropping prices has meant that I can go for an RTX 2060 Super.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache

RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)

GPU: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 SUPER - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!

Primary Drive: 2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)

Secondary Drive: 4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE

Intel Optane Memory: 64GB INTEL® M10 OPTANE MEMORY

Optical Drive: 16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE

PSU: CORSAIR 550W CV SERIES™ CV-550 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling: Corsair H115i PRO Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

I can get what I reckon is a pretty decent i7 machine for ~£1920. I was originally going to go for a GTX 1660, but the crossover between reaching my saving goals and dropping prices has meant that I can go for an RTX 2060 Super.

Secondary Drive: 4TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 5400RPM, 256MB CACHE

Id wait for the rtx3060 ti announcement coming in the next few weeks, the rtx 2060 arent bad cards,but the 3000 series will offer far better value for money. ( If you can get one of course...)

Does that include coloured lights and coolant tubes with glowing green liquid going around?

Does that include coloured lights and coolant tubes with glowing green liquid going around?

Usually I don't bother with decorative stuff on my PCs, but since I have a bigger budget this time I thought, "why not get a couple of 50cm UVLED strips in there?"

Sorry to disappoint, but the liquid cooling system just has plain black mesh-jacketed pipes, although I think it has a small blue LED glowy bit on it.

Couple of websites say my PC will run this, which is surprising. I mean I'm not buying it until it's dropped by 50%, like, but I assumed I might have to wait for a new PC in 18 months or so.

Just bought MSFS on Steam (after playing it a bit via Xbox Game Pass last year, but my sub lapsed) - it's 20% off at the moment, both on Steam and direct from Microsoft. I stopped playing it regularly, but now I think I need something a bit more peaceful and calming to play occasionally (instead of getting wound up about losing at Rocket League).

They just announced that there will be a free GOTY edition released next month, with 5 new planes includes an F/A-18 Super Hornet. And there's an expansion coming out soon too with WW2-era air races.

It's a fantastic game but I wish it didn't need to update every time I play it. I like to jump on and have a quick fly around the pyramids or new York every now and then but there is invariably a half hour wait while it downloads something.

It also really needs a hotas. Makes a huge difference.

It's a fantastic game but I wish it didn't need to update every time I play it. I like to jump on and have a quick fly around the pyramids or new York every now and then but there is invariably a half hour wait while it downloads something.
Yup - you need to have a reminder to open it every week to check for updates so that it doesn't catch you unawares when you actually want to play.

Back
Top Bottom