Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Next gen Xbox: rumours, speculations, wild pipe dreams!

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Seeing as we have a PS4 vaporware thread how about an Xbox 720 or whatever the hell it'll end up being called to speculate on?

What would you like to see in terms of specs, functionality? Should MS dump discs and go with download only or even more radical go the Spotify/Netflix route and charge a flat fee for all you can play gaming?

My main hope is they don't do anything stupid like Nintendo and the controller doesn't have a screen!

I think it would be a bit premature to ditch an optical drive. Lots of people don't have good internet connections and seeing as most games weigh in at the 15GB mark these days, it would be a bit silly.

Yeah, MaxPayne 3 even with a 16Mb connection took me well over a day to download as its 30Gb on the PC

Seeing as we have a PS4 vaporware thread how about an Xbox 720 or whatever the hell it'll end up being called to speculate on?

What would you like to see in terms of specs, functionality? Should MS dump discs and go with download only or even more radical go the Spotify/Netflix route and charge a flat fee for all you can play gaming?

My main hope is they don't do anything stupid like Nintendo and the controller doesn't have a screen!
What I'm hoping from the next-gen Xbox is that it causes the price of Xbox 360 games to plummet, meaning I can finally buy New Vegas and Skyrim.

I think it would be a bit premature to ditch an optical drive. Lots of people don't have good internet connections and seeing as most games weigh in at the 15GB mark these days, it would be a bit silly.

You wouldn't need to download it if you could stream it ie cloud gaming. That doesn't need a hugely fast net connection...

The Xbox is the better console, I prefer the playstation over all because it was free to play online and I loved GT5 and stupidly I liked the look of the actual box more than the white xbox!

The Xbox is the better console, I prefer the playstation over all because it was free to play online and I loved GT5 and stupidly I liked the look of the actual box more than the white xbox!

Can't beat the design of the slim though. I prefer the Xbox online set up, and its barely a few pence a day so not exactly going to break the bank.

Yeah, MaxPayne 3 even with a 16Mb connection took me well over a day to download as its 30Gb on the PC
A 100mb download can take well over an hour at Artichoke's parents' house :D

I tried to email Artichoke's aunt about 45 photos from a walk up a mountain.

The next day, I woke up, and only 6 (of 12) emails (actually, I was sending 4 pics per email, so that gives a rough number - 48ish pics) had sent. And my laptop was fucking up everyone else's internet. So I stopped. (tbf, I suspect my email server was being a bit of an arse due to something overseas related...)

Just imagine how long Max Payne'd take! :D

It's probably a leak strategy to spoil the coming PS4 news but there's been some stuff coming to light (caveat - salt/pinch) and some of it doesn't sound good:

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

I love the xbox, it's clearly the best console of the current gen with an unbeatable online experience amongst other things but I hate DRM and won't be buying a console that has it at it's heart like this.

Haven't been keeping tabs on the rumours/leaks/speculation on the Next Box, anyone seen anything good recently or is it as quiet as it appears?

Have seen a you tube vid about something called illumiroom, looks interesting. Not sure how 'real' it is, or if a concept thing?

Yeah, just seen that! Proof of concept on ye vid i just looked at though so it can be done I guess?

Haven't Sony already tipped their hand enough for MS to do that? Starting to get the feeling that the PS4 is gaining more awareness while MS have nothing to show...

Back
Top Bottom