Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Newport state of mind, and other news from The 'Port

miiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawww brockers!:eek:

can see where dic is coming from tbh
still like the vid mind

miiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawww brockers!:eek:

can see where dic is coming from tbh
still like the vid mind

Well it's not intended to be bitchy. It's a valid point, I think. Dic believes in No Borders but gets upset when people mention Cardiff and Llanfair PG in a song that's meant to be about Newport. Feck knows what he'll be like when Newport actually gets swallowed up by the CAPITAL CITY and becomes... Cardiff East. And as someone has already mentioned the target of this video is Jay-Z's grandiose hymn to NY not Newport.

Well it's not intended to be bitchy. It's a valid point, I think. Dic believes in No Borders but gets upset when people mention Cardiff and Llanfair PG in a song that's meant to be about Newport. Feck knows what he'll be like when Newport actually gets swallowed up by the CAPITAL CITY and becomes... Cardiff East. And as someone has already mentioned the target of this video is Jay-Z's grandiose hymn to NY not Newport.

Bit of a shallow critique there Brockway. The fact I oppose immigration controls has fuck all to do with the fact I celebrate and defend Newport's unique cultural identity.

I get the same shit when I support Wales at rugby. This muddling of important political issues (that are quite literally a matter of life and death) with cultural interests is both silly and tiresome.

I can see that the video is less funny if you're from there and the lyrics have glaring inaccuracies. I'm sure they would sully my enjoyment of a song about my home town. Although I'm not sure they were trying to make us believe all famous Welsh people are from Newport or anything.

But they just had an idea for a parody of the Jayzee song that they thought might be fun to do* and they did it and people liked it.

*maybe they also wanted publicity but whatever. I get the impression they found it fun.

Culture is, ahem, politics. Not just cos I work in it, but because it is an expression of how we imagine our relationship (or lack of) to the people & society around us. Your antagonism to the video makers seems to be based on them being "outsiders" - if you can't see the overlap/conflict with NB concerns, then I'm surprised!

I have to say I go with Brockway's shallow critique - I think you're being oversensitive about something that doesn't strike me, as a reasonably well-informed, locally-based "outsider", as something that is particularly aiming to rip the piss out of Newport and make it look shit. FFS, you could do a hundred times worse with my home town! Straight off it struck me as affectionate, although I did suspect some of the references were wide of the mark. But that suggests rather that it is aimed at an outside audience who therefore will know nothing of Newport and therefore will not be in a position to take it as a laser-sighted critique of your fair town.

And frankly, the whole thing seems designed more with the idea of being able to rip the piss out of Jay-Z - I mean, how many towns in UK rhyme with New York? They saw their moment and grabbed it. You ought to roll with the humour brah.

Yep.

It's an affectionate piss take of the parochial nature of provincial Britain.

It resonates in the same way as Peter Kay.

Calling Newport, Cardiff east, would give it a respectibility that it doesn't deserve. The port is like the bastard offspring of Cardiff and Bristol. It doesn't really know if it wants to be Welsh or English and gets stuck in some sort of wierd identity crisis.

Culture is, ahem, politics. Not just cos I work in it, but because it is an expression of how we imagine our relationship (or lack of) to the people & society around us. Your antagonism to the video makers seems to be based on them being "outsiders" - if you can't see the overlap/conflict with NB concerns, then I'm surprised!

I have to say I go with Brockway's shallow critique - I think you're being oversensitive about something that doesn't strike me, as a reasonably well-informed, locally-based "outsider", as something that is particularly aiming to rip the piss out of Newport and make it look shit. FFS, you could do a hundred times worse with my home town! Straight off it struck me as affectionate, although I did suspect some of the references were wide of the mark. But that suggests rather that it is aimed at an outside audience who therefore will know nothing of Newport and therefore will not be in a position to take it as a laser-sighted critique of your fair town.

And frankly, the whole thing seems designed more with the idea of being able to rip the piss out of Jay-Z - I mean, how many towns in UK rhyme with New York? They saw their moment and grabbed it. You ought to roll with the humour brah.

Oversensitive bollocks. I'm not that bothered. I've just pointed out why I thought the GLC should start a beef. It would be the proper hip hop thing to do. I don't think these people set out to have a go at Newport at all. I just don't think what they did was very clever.

I am bothered by this idea that my opinions on immigration and my cultural interests are contradictory though. The concept is fucking retarded.

Oversensitive bollocks. I'm not that bothered. I've just pointed out why I thought the GLC should start a beef. It would be the proper hip hop thing to do. I don't think these people set out to have a go at Newport at all. I just don't think what they did was very clever.

I am bothered by this idea that my opinions on immigration and my cultural interests are contradictory though. The concept is fucking retarded.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!!

NEWPORT! NEWPORT! NEWPORT!

Some of it was a bit vaguely welsh, as opposed to Newport specific, but I thought it was fantastic, really funny, warm, clever. The female singer had a great voice.

affectionate? don't care. Newport isn't affectionate. When 'our own' do self deprecating it's fair enough and if it's done well like the GLC its all good.

But when people from out of town take the piss, it's taking the piss. When it's patronisingly copying a ten year old joke it just shows how limited their imagination is.

More than anything it's the total lack of local knowledge, it's just not very Newport.

1. it's the wrong accent, what the fuck is with his H's.
2. There is no Debenhams in Newport, they tried, there was a campaign against it. "Debenhams: Don't Destroy Dock street"
3. Craig Bellamy is from Cardiff.
4. Gavin Henson never goes out in Newport unless you count the Celtic Manor, (which I don't)
5. Plaid Cymru are less popular than the BNP in Newport. Sad but True.
6. Shirley Bassey is Cardiff
7. "small Welsh town" it's a fucking city.
8. It's NEWPORT Gwent Dragons. Basic.
9. Tom Jones, Steve Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones. Not Port.
10. 50 for the toll booth? where?
11. EVERYONE knows Josie is Port. Used to work in the Riv.
12. that village in North Wales with the long name: fuck off.
13. Our shopping centre is old and shit. This isn't one opening in December.

a bit of research wouldn't have done any harm. or perhaps they should have fucked off to the isle of wight and done it there.

If you want real Newport comedy hip hop, try this for size, if your not local you might not get all the jokes. good.

I'm not really that bothered. honest.

And yes some other outsiders could do a proper anti-newport video, wouldn't be hard. Best of luck with that if you ever want to visit.

Post of the fucking month.

I'll be giggling about this all day. Cheers, Dic.

affectionate? don't care. Newport isn't affectionate. When 'our own' do self deprecating it's fair enough and if it's done well like the GLC its all good.

But when people from out of town take the piss, it's taking the piss. When it's patronisingly copying a ten year old joke it just shows how limited their imagination is.

More than anything it's the total lack of local knowledge, it's just not very Newport.

1. it's the wrong accent, what the fuck is with his H's.
2. There is no Debenhams in Newport, they tried, there was a campaign against it. "Debenhams: Don't Destroy Dock street"
3. Craig Bellamy is from Cardiff.
4. Gavin Henson never goes out in Newport unless you count the Celtic Manor, (which I don't)
5. Plaid Cymru are less popular than the BNP in Newport. Sad but True.
6. Shirley Bassey is Cardiff
7. "small Welsh town" it's a fucking city.
8. It's NEWPORT Gwent Dragons. Basic.
9. Tom Jones, Steve Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones. Not Port.
10. 50 for the toll booth? where?
11. EVERYONE knows Josie is Port. Used to work in the Riv.
12. that village in North Wales with the long name: fuck off.
13. Our shopping centre is old and shit. This isn't one opening in December.

a bit of research wouldn't have done any harm. or perhaps they should have fucked off to the isle of wight and done it there.

If you want real Newport comedy hip hop, try this for size, if your not local you might not get all the jokes. good.

I'm not really that bothered. honest.

And yes some other outsiders could do a proper anti-newport video, wouldn't be hard. Best of luck with that if you ever want to visit.

Transporter bridge.

...and meanwhile, back in the real world, it's nice to know Newport folk aren't po-faced...

The makers have been invited to perform at the opening of the Transporter Bridge:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...ars_to_perform_at_Transporter_Bridge_opening/

:cool:

I saw this featured on the S4C news. They even found 3 Welsh-speaking locals to share the joy. One of them was speaking Welsh with a proper "rewnd and rewnd the rewndabout in Newport" accent. Impressive.

Clearly people having been appropriating Newport's culture for decades. If you watch the beginning of the movie, Tiger Bay, the hero rides across the transporter bridge to magically arrive in Butetown. The transporter bridge also features in Jane Arden's weird and wonderful, LSD fuelled, film, The Other Side of the Underneath.

The anarchist fella Dic Penderyn has it about right methinks.

Such a lame attempt at a pisstake that most Welsh people dont seem to have cottoned-on that this is anothing less than a slur. The only reason it cannot be taken as an ethnic slur is that its knowledge is so piss-weak. Thumbs down.

Back
Top Bottom