Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York tips needed please.

Great photos!

Thanks. First time I've used my panasonic lumix (one with a leica lens) for about 2 years. Having half decent cameras on phones has made me very lazy. Used to love taking photos with that camera so I'd completely forgotten how to use all the manual settings, long exposures etc.

Top of the Rock daytime great views over central park, Empire state at night just amazing. Statten island ferry after 9 am is best lol. Walk across Brooklyn bridge, PJ's to the left statue of liberty to the right.
Grand central station just manic people watching.
Central park buggy ride must do .
New York subway just for the experience do it and you will understand......

Good subway ride is over the Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn - N , R etc (but check as some lines get rerouted more often than you think) - nice and slow so you get great views and great at twilight / dawn - out towards Main Street Flushing on the 7 is good too - particularly when it comes up from the tunnel and goes elevated. Some (increasingly rare though) trains allow you to get the forward view - just elbow any kids out of the way....

The Library Bar, at the corner of Avenue A and E Houston St.

A proper NY dive bar, fantastic atmosphere, great drinks, brilliant jukebox, old cult films showing most of the time. One of my favourite bars in the world.
LOL I knew you would have posted about this. It was a great bar. At least, everyone assured me it was afterwards. Fucking cocktails, fucking ordering cocktails by fucking colour, not my finest moment :oops:

Good subway ride is over the Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn - N , R etc (but check as some lines get rerouted more often than you think) - nice and slow so you get great views and great at twilight / dawn - out towards Main Street Flushing on the 7 is good too - particularly when it comes up from the tunnel and goes elevated. Some (increasingly rare though) trains allow you to get the forward view - just elbow any kids out of the way....
Even better is this. I love Roosevelt Island.
Oh, and you can use your metro card that you use for the subway too.

Forgot the "tram" - you can go out on it and back on the Subway ("F" train") not so busy these days as the subway is there and it is terrific value for money compared to the London Eye.

Always reccomend the Tenement House Museum down near Delancey Street on the Lower East Side.

Always reccomend the Tenement House Museum down near Delancey Street on the Lower East Side.
Seconded. Fantastic museum, with excellent information about the lives of New York's immigrant working class in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Did you know that the island of Manhattan's population was over 40 percent larger in 1910 and 1920 than it is now? There are currently about 1.6 million people living in Manhattan; in 1910, there were over 2.3 million. And that was possible because working class immigrants were living 5 and 10 to a room in the Lower East Side tenements.

And the decongestation of Mhtn was driven by the subway extensions through the "Dual Contracts" which improved living conditions for the working classes...Trotsky lived for a while in East Tremont in the Bronx - and marvelled at the quality of affordable and well furnished / equipped apartments with tiled floors , electric light and waste disposal systems by a flat fare of 5 cents each way....

Trotsky lived for a while in East Tremont in the Bronx

look very closely

705bb40b3e009491_landing1.jpeg

Thanks threaders, particularly enjoyed The Library, and the Roosevelt Island Tram. Had a ball as per usual. Brooklyn much more exciting for culture than Manhattan now (Manhattan still awesome to walk around though). In Canada for a few weeks now.

Don't have many recommendations to add (was with some first-timers, so did a lot of the more obvious stuff). Had some lovely cocktails in Flat-Iron Lounge (swelligant but pricey) http://www.flatironlounge.com/index_main.html
Also enjoyed the grub at Champs vegan diner (faux-chicken wings a must) http://www.champsdiner.com/
Williamsburg has lots of vegetarian and vegan food places.
Intimate laid-back hip-hop lounge bOb Bar hit the spot (like being at a small hip-hop house party) http://www.bobbarnyc.com/

Opposite the Tenament Museum is Top Hops beer shop, where you can sit at the bar and get a sample rack of four of their long list of well-selected, well-looked-after ales. Very pleasant. 10USD for 4 sample glasses (well worth it imo).
http://tophops.com/

Back
Top Bottom