Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New York photos and general chat

Central park pics

In photos: ice skating, autumnal shades and shadows, Central Park, New York

I never realized NYC didn't use wheelie bins (until now). We had them in LA years ago, so not exactly a new concept in America. I think the majority of the UK has had them since the late 80s?

Last edited:
Reading an article in the NYT where they refer to The Chrysler Building as “arguably the most famous building in the world”… Oh Americans, you’ve gotta love ‘em. Not sure it’s even the most famous building in NYC and certainly not America let alone the rest of the world.

Reading an article in the NYT where they refer to The Chrysler Building as “arguably the most famous building in the world”… Oh Americans, you’ve gotta love ‘em. Not sure it’s even the most famous building in NYC and certainly not America let alone the rest of the world.

Beautiful and iconic building , and one they are obviously very proud of. Deservedly IMHO.

Beautiful and iconic building , and one they are obviously very proud of. Deservedly IMHO.

yes.
first, i'd ask when that article was written.
second, among nyc nuts such as myself, the Chrysler building is unanimously considered the better looking.
third, the poster above has made the cardinal mistake of confusing americans with new yorkers.

second, among nyc nuts such as myself, the Chrysler building is unanimously considered the better looking.
Not sure how you're defining 'nyc nuts'. I grew up in NYC, and always thought it an unlucky loser, but to consider it better-looking smacks of deliberate perversity.

We once stayed in NYC in a hotel (name escapes me now as it was in 2008) , quite high up around 33d and 7th Ave and the northern view was magnificent , with a particular from the desk over the skyscape crowned by the Chryrsler buillding - we were only there for 2 nights - I had to be removed with the aid of a crowbar metaphorically speaking. Uplifting !

But then you are talking of someone who deeply appreciates NYC , who gets immense pleasure in observing modest icons such as the station tilework on the IND and especially the IRT lines..........

I certainly wasn’t arguing it’s a beautiful building, as skyscrapers go, it was the “most famous in the world” bit. No chance.

Back
Top Bottom