Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New to Edinburgh and need parking!

GeorgeBell

I am going to be working in Edinburgh City Centre and need to find parking 5 days per week, I would normally take public transport but I need my car for the project I am working on.

From what i can see parking is quite expensive, I have been offered a space at £5 per day a 10 minute walk from the East end of Princes Street - is this reasonable?

It would be more reasonable to have posted this in the Motoring or Scotland Forums.

But from my experience of Edinburgh parking, that's an absolute steal! :)

It would be more reasonable to have posted this in the Motoring or Scotland Forums.

But from my experience of Edinburgh parking, that's an absolute steal! :)

I didn't know what forums where available, can i remove this and repost on the suggested forums?

I am going to be working in Edinburgh City Centre and need to find parking 5 days per week, I would normally take public transport but I need my car for the project I am working on.

From what i can see parking is quite expensive, I have been offered a space at £5 per day a 10 minute walk from the East end of Princes Street - is this reasonable?

The controlled parking zone only starts about a ten minute walk from the east end of Princes St anyway. But if it's a guaranteed space that means you won't need to drive around looking for somewhere to park every morning (the streets just outside the controlled zones are usually really hard to find a space on in the week... I know, I live on one :( ) it might be worth paying the £5 IMO

The controlled parking zone only starts about a ten minute walk from the east end of Princes St anyway. But if it's a guaranteed space that means you won't need to drive around looking for somewhere to park every morning (the streets just outside the controlled zones are usually really hard to find a space on in the week... I know, I live on one :( ) it might be worth paying the £5 IMO
This! I used to park on Annadale Street, which was pay and display all day for £4 (was £3 for awhile) which is about a 10 minute walk from Waverley. Problem was, when everyone else cottoned on, it got harder and harder to find a space :( I think your £5 spot will probably be the best deal you can get. Edinburgh really sucks for parking weekdays.

Having lived in Edinburgh for a number of years, and seen how parking has become more and more difficult, I'd take that offer. With the extension of the metered zones a while back, it's difficult to find a street within a short distance of the city centre with an almost-guaranteed space.

You are unlikely to do much better to be honest GeorgeBell .

Welcome to urban too :)

or park further out with no restrictions and get 2 singles on the bus for half that, free parking on side streets beyond Pilrig or similar distance down London road, and a good bus service

or park further out with no restrictions and get 2 singles on the bus for half that

Edinburgh buses are the slowest form of transport known to humankind. Though to be fair I'd rather spend 70 minutes going four and a half miles there than London as at least people don't spend the whole time trying to pretend everyone else on the bus doesn't exist.

What crazy busses are you getting on :eek:
41 usually. My mum lives in Cramond. The thing that winds me up most is pulling up to the stop one by one no matter how many buses have come along at once. There's loads of space and it holds up traffic. I think 70 minutes is a record rather than the average but Edinburgh buses feel considerably slower than London ones. Though I do tend to get the buses very early at home.

41 usually. My mum lives in Cramond. The thing that winds me up most is pulling up to the stop one by one no matter how many buses have come along at once. There's loads of space and it holds up traffic. I think 70 minutes is a record rather than the average but Edinburgh buses feel considerably slower than London ones. Though I do tend to get the buses very early at home.

Ah yeah, Cramond is a bit of a ball ache.

But I can get from Clermiston to Musselburgh races in around an hour and a half which isn't bad given that that basically crosses the whole city from West to East. Agreed on the queuing at bus stops things though.

Back
Top Bottom