Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Tax return. Where do I submit a computer or hardware as an expense???

ATOMIC SUPLEX

In the allowable business expense section the most obvious place to put hardware and computers is office costs, which specifically states not to put computer hardware or other equipment.

The 'other allowable business expenses' section only mentions periodicals and journals, and protective clothing and headgear.

Where do I put the hardware I have bought to do work? There is no section for it anymore.

Oh God. You've reminded me that I've got to do mine soon.
😱🥵
Looks a bit different this year. . . . unless it's the same and I don't remember. Apart from the usual grey areas and some missing receipts, I think I plowed through pretty quickly.
There is however a massive tits up by channel five one what they submitted which looks like it's going to be a problem (a bizzare tax code they should not be using, and that technically I would have to apply for, and wouldn't get because I don't qualify). I saw it flagged up at the end of my return. Luckily it's currently set as a zero tax payment for me, (if it wasn't I'd be paying it twice).
I noticed today that they did the same last time I worked for channel 5 so it's a recurring theme, something they might be doing to every freelancer.

This is basically half the calls to the helpline.
It just looks like all the options are on that page, and you have to save it and move on before it is revealed to you that I comes under a different type of expense. To be fair it looks a lot more streamlined than before, still a few things to be done to cut down on large amounts of confusion though.

It just looks like all the options are on that page, and you have to save it and move on before it is revealed to you that I comes under a different type of expense. To be fair it looks a lot more streamlined than before, still a few things to be done to cut down on large amounts of confusion though.
True, and they can change depending on selection.

Oh God. You've reminded me that I've got to do mine soon.
😱🥵

Me too. :( That said, I haven't had a reminder. Think I'll ring them and find out.

I'm still under PD1, so the phone is usually answered within six rings. :)

(Don't hit me, I bruise easily! :))

There is however a massive tits up by channel five one what they submitted which looks like it's going to be a problem (a bizzare tax code they should not be using, and that technically I would have to apply for, and wouldn't get because I don't qualify). I saw it flagged up at the end of my return. Luckily it's currently set as a zero tax payment for me, (if it wasn't I'd be paying it twice).
I noticed today that they did the same last time I worked for channel 5 so it's a recurring theme, something they might be doing to every freelancer.
Boring update. I called HMRC and basically they don't care.

Just a vent ...
Why is it that HMRC can be as wrong as it is possible to get but not suffer any penalty, yet, if I or You, as the taxpayer make a minor mistake, then they land like a ton of bricks and start issuing fines and threats ???
Grrrrr ...

Just a vent ...
Why is it that HMRC can be as wrong as it is possible to get but not suffer any penalty, yet, if I or You, as the taxpayer make a minor mistake, then they land like a ton of bricks and start issuing fines and threats ???
Grrrrr ...
I've made mistakes in the past and they have actually been pretty lenient every time. I was basically let off, or allowed to do something retrospectively without a penalty. They've paid me interest when they have kept my money by mistake. Not amazingly kind, just fairly reasonable. That's only my experience though.

I've made mistakes in the past and they have actually been pretty lenient every time. I was basically let off, or allowed to do something retrospectively without a penalty. They've paid me interest when they have kept my money by mistake. Not amazingly kind, just fairly reasonable. That's only my experience though.

Aye, they can do that and with personal stuff they often do, as I know from my own point of view.
But some of my commercial / employer side experience has been less than happy, luckily I have someone else to do most of that donkey work.

Back
Top Bottom