Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NEW FLASH!! - McVities biscuits - recipe changed back in 2020

High Voltage

In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters
Granted, I'm obviously not one of the target demographic of McVities biscuits consumers having only just purchased a packet last week

But they've bloody well changed the recipe to such an extent that most of the packet ended up in the food recycling bin

To me, McVities Digestive biscuits had a noticeable sweet / salty thing going on, along with actual grains of "something" - no longer biscuit fans - the digestive biscuit, along with 6 others have had their recipe changed . . . and not for the better, if my experience of the digestive is anything to go by

The list of "new and improved" biscuits here:-
  • Original Digestives
  • Rich Tea
  • Chocolate Digestives
  • Caramel Digestives
  • Original Hobnobs
  • Chocolate hobnobs
  • Ginger Nuts
Sneaked in under the cover of Covid, another "benefit" of leaving the EU, a cynical accountants cost cutting exercise disguised as a "health improvement" - bearing in mind that the Original Digestives will now "boast" 9% less sugar and 5% less salt, down at 15.16g of sugar having been at 16.6g per 100g. Public Health England’s target is 26.2g of sugar per 100g - so the original biscuits were already well below the "target" - methinks that "something is rotten in the state of McVities"

So there's another brand I'll not be bothering with . . . and the fact that it's taken me TWO FUCKING YEARS for this to even register will obviously have the McVitie Mandarins quaking behind their abaci

Given that they've been on sale for the last two years, have you noticed any appreciable difference?

With the digestives I noticed that something was awry the second I opened the packet, they just looked "wrong", with the first bite confirming my worst fears

Speaking as a quasi-"vegan" with a weight problem who will hopefully never eat a shop biscuit again - especially if I manage to make the move to France ..., they probably tasted better as a child in the 60s / 70s when doubtless they were made with lard ...

I've just had the unpleasant experience of attempting to consume some own-label "low-sugar" ginger nuts.
[picked as substitute on the grocery order this week]

Absolutely dire ! Quite disgusting and nothing like the real deal.

I recall that as a consequence of flooding in Carlisle, a "few" years ago [2005,2009,2015], MacVities were unable to produce Ginger Nuts - and several other ranges - for anyone. There was a serious shortage for weeks, while they replaced / cleaned and dried out the equipment on their ground floor of their city centre site.
Months later - 2016 - I was collecting another hire care from a place nearby and was able to smell the wonderful scent of cooking ginger nuts once again ...

e2a link

I knew they had been fucking around with the recipe. They are definitely less good than they used to be.

McVitie’s owner Pladis said the new recipes were “achieved through careful rebalancing of ingredients to reduce sugar and salt in order to get below, or as close, to Public Health England’s target while maintaining the distinctive taste”.

It said the changes had been tested on hundreds of customers, including so-called McVitie ‘super-fans’ to ensure the reduction in sugar goes unnoticed.

What a swizz :thumbsdown:

I knew they had been fucking around with the recipe. They are definitely less good than they used to be.

What a swizz :thumbsdown:
Well the so called "super fans" must have defective taste buds if they can't tell the difference of the new recipe to the originals

We got some dark chocolate digestives recently, first time in ages - and it was more like dark chocolate rich teas, even the texture of the biscuit wasn't like it used to be. Bland cardboard instead of sweet salty goodness topped with chocolate :(

Back
Top Bottom