Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New David Bowie single 'Where Are We Now?' & album in March

I had a pretty good feeling about the album after hearing the second single (with the Diamond Dogs saxes), and I have to say he's really pulled things off in style. He's stopped trying to be trendy, and just concentrated on being classic David Bowie.

The album has a tremendous "replay" value for me, and I think it's fucking excellent!

As I've said elsewhere....

It starts great, up to Where Are We Now, but then goes right downhill. A slightly dull reimagining of the good Berlin days.

But then we get 'Heat' - which takes us right back to his beginning, and sounding just like Scott Walker again.

I've been listening to the album daily and I'm enjoying it a lot. It does dip in quality, but even on the so so songs the band are really going for it and his voice is great throughout.

The opening tracks got a whiff of Cat People about it and when it gets going is pretty strong tune. Dirty Boys is good, I like the sleazy sax honks going on. The Stars are out is good 80s Bowie-a-like....while love is lost is a bit boring. Where are we now had grown on me, but it's one of the weaker tracks on the record. I really like Valentines Day athough it does remind me of the kinda song that might be on a John Hughes soundtrack when the boy gets the girl and we all realise the class and status can be over come by love! If you Can See Me bounces along nicely....but sound like a Labyrinth soundtrack throwback....I was expecting some muppet monsters to do backing vocals. I'd Rather Be High is another one I like, love his voice on this, it reminds of something from The Space Oddity album, miltary drumming and Bowie waxing lyrical nonsense. Boss of Me is just plod rock dull. Dancing Out in Space is bop along fogettable. How Does the Grass grow is good, some 50s wah wah wah backing vocals and a good groove. You Will set the World on Fire is a ROCK number that kicks along nicely....could be great live....but it doesn't really, erm, set the world on fire. You Feel So Lonely You Could Die is my current fave.....it's clearly harking back to Five Years lyrically and sneaks in a little of the beat towards the end as a gentle reminder to anyone who isn't paying proper attention...I love this track actually...it simple, straightforward and lovely. Album closer Heat is mopey Scott Walker trudge through some dirgey misery.....but I like it. There's three bonus tracks on the 'deluxe edition' that I've not listened to yet.....so dunno what they're like....

I've given it too many listens.

Where are we now?

We're fucking old and boring.

The only reason this is getting good reviews is because reviewers don't want to upset their readers. It is shit quite frankly. A call from David to his army of fans for more cash from reworked hash.

Anyone else been to see/planning to see the exhibition at the V & A?

We went tonight - well worth it. It works overall in making you realise his genius - in terms of staying power and changing genres as well as the music - but I thought the curating was a bit messy.

Now want to go out and buy a load of his albums!

"There's a milkman, waiting in the sky,
He likes to deliver dairy so long as it's homogenized,
There's a milkman, waiting in the sky,
He drives a rundown milk float and his milk's been pasteurized,
He told me!
Let the bovines moo it, let the bovines chew it,
Let all the bovines boogie!
Da, da da da da, da da da dow, dow dow dow dow, dow dow dow dow~"

Credit to Kakashi Hatake on Youtube comments

I have given the album more listens than I care to.. still not really doing much for me.

However I have finally got around to listening to 'Lodger' as a result.. compare and contrast - what a great album that is..

Further point of information for those interested - the Bowie exhibition at the V&A is all be sold out.. better get your tickets quick..

A bit like a very slowed down 'Absolute Beginners'
The whole album is reminiscent of past songs / albums

Rubbish pronunciation though :D
And so was 'Warszawa' and all the varients of "Heroes" and "Love You til Tuesday" :p

I've still not dared listen to this. I bought that drum and bass album in 1997. I am still burned.
I thought B.U.S.T.E.D came out in 1999? ;) (just kidding... I know 97 was Earthling)

Fabulously bonkers new video which has already been banned off YouTube and then reinstated after a ton of press. Bowie certainly still knows how to do this publicity thing :)
Daaammn..... Makes me like the song a little more...

As a whole album, it's okay. Doesn't mesh well together. As single tracks, they're half way decent. Tending to listen to this entire disc on my MP3 player as I ride my bike or am doing a load of slides at work. Seems the only way to actually enjoy the album. Nothing completely fancy this time... the hype was there for the decade with out it, but honestly could have waited a bit more for something with a little substance. Everything sounds like an updated version of an earlier song or an expanded theory of an album. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

:D :D
..David Bowie is back, but hopefully not for long. The switch-hitting, bisexual, senior citizen from London has resurfaced, this time playing a Jesus-like character who hangs out in a nightclub dump frequented by priests, cardinals and half-naked women...
Bill Donohue, Catholic League, press release.

Hehehe I wondered when I went to look at it last night why it had been pulled. Glad to see it got put back up again.

Back
Top Bottom