Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New David Bowie single 'Where Are We Now?' & album in March

I did it on the way back from the shop. To be honest, mine was much better. You like The Clash though, so melody's obviously not something you're into anyway.
I think you'd better sssshhh now as you clearly don't know the first thing about music and I've little interest in hearing your clueless fantasy babble.

tied and Insipid........ If that's the single.... Don't hold much hope for the album............

He's looking old now. But he looks good old.

Gave the song two gos because it's him. I liked it better the second time. It has a simple mournfulness about it that's quite pleasing.

I like it more with each play, particularly the way it builds towards the end. Sounds like it could/should be a song for a movie

I think Ziggy Stardust (the album) just became one of my desert Island discs.
It's pretty well the only "rock" album I still listen to - and one of the few I can "sing" along with.

on first listening i don't like it. on this showing, he is past his sell by date. on the other hand if i could only listen to this or gangnam style, it would be bowie every time :D

At least Gangnam style has a tune to it. Bowie fans can kid themselves all they like but this is an absolutely second-rate song.

At least Gangnam style has a tune to it. Bowie fans can kid themselves all they like but this is an absolutely second-rate song.
So you keep saying. Again and again and again.

Strangely enough, online reviews have been overwhelmingly positive as has the verdict of people whose opinion I respect, but if Gangnam style is more your kind of music, then that's just fine. I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by just coming back all the time here to restate your opinion though.

I still like it. Just played it again in fact. It's a beautifully melancholic tune.

So you keep saying. Again and again and again.

Strangely enough, online reviews have been overwhelmingly positive as has the verdict of people whose opinion I respect, but if Gangnam style is more your kind of music, then that's just fine. I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by just coming back all the time here to restate your opinion though.

I still like it. Just played it again in fact. It's a beautifully melancholic tune.

I have repeated myself but it's not try and achieve anything. If anything it's because I think there's such a big case of "Emperor's New Clothes" going on here that I have wanted to bang on about it a bit. Maybe, I'll moan on about it a bit more too. I haven't decided yet. Your cheerleading and replies to my posts have been at least as petty as anything I've posted criticising the song and you've repeated yourself at least as many times as well. What are you trying to achieve? Nothing I guess - it's just that there's a thread open where people can moan on about music on the internet and you're using it.

It doesn't matter one jot what "people you respect" think about it either. The positive reviews are in some part an expression of the goodwill that's going around about Bowie suddenly coming back after an extended absence, when it was though he had given it all up and also possibly quite sick.

On another point it's interesting that his producer said the album was "quite rock" and that he wasn't expecting this to be a single. I wonder what a rock Bowie would sound like these days. It could be quite intriguing to see if it means something quite stripped down and raw or something quite grand. Hopefully, it won't sound like Tin Machine. I doubt it will.

Maybe we could get him to post on here. He's from Landor Road originally isn't he? Maybe he's still got a bit of affection for SW9.

You know, every time I hear the song come on the radio - and it's been on a lot - it still gets an emotional response for me. It is beautifully strange and melancholic. I think it's a work of genius. If the album is half as good it'll be the first Bowie album I've paid any attention to for years.

Not to Faveldo: there's no need for you to remind me that you don't like it. :D

You know, every time I hear the song come on the radio - and it's been on a lot - it still gets an emotional response for me. It is beautifully strange and melancholic. I think it's a work of genius. If the album is half as good it'll be the first Bowie album I've paid any attention to for years.

"emotional response". Yes. Me too.

It's great. Sounds like early Psychedelic Furs (who were busy ripping off Bowie) and that is a Good Thing.

It is, of course, a role Bowie himself occupies for many fans, a human being transfigured by fame into a celestial body, and his pithy lyric showers sympathy on each side of the divide. Although written from the point of view of a star-struck admirer on the wrong side of the red rope, whose life is mysteriously enhanced by this illusory relationship, he is well aware that the stars themselves are not what they seem behind the windows of their stretch limos, "gleaming like blackened sunshine". They are "sexless and unaroused", "broke and shamed or drunk and scared".
Telegraph gives the album a 5 star review.

article-2284597-184BF314000005DC-285_634x449.jpg

Tilda Swinton is as cool as fuck in the video. She looks amazing.

I prefer the second single. It's not bad at all. Musically tight and nicely balanced between edgy enough for his fans and catchy enough for the radio. I've still got concerns about his voice though. It's not in great shape.

Back
Top Bottom