Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Need advice about life in Edinburgh?

izzy24

Hello!! I'm thinking of moving from London to Edinburgh and need advice on the mental health services in the city, and what it's like to live there? Any help or advice welcome x

Can't advise on the mental health services bit really, maybe someone else will be along soon who can. It's generally a good place to live, compact and easy to get around on foot/bike, the buses are very good , it's a nightmare to drive around because there are neverending roadworks for the trams. Plenty good nightlife/restaurants etc. It's an expensive place to rent though. Any particular area you're looking at?

You will need warmer clothing, the jokes are only semi joking! I will ask some friends if they know about MH services in the city.

I did my training and worked in Edinburgh up until 2002, so hopefully someone will have a more up to date view to give you, and a user's perspective. I found it better resourced and better when it came to things like helping you with benefits or accommodation. Physical care was better. The level of acuity is much lower than in central London where I've worked since so it was easier to get admitted if you needed it and stay on a community team's books. But on the negative side it was more old fashioned, with staff clinging on to outdated beliefs and modes of working. At the time, and this may have changed, it was difficult to get psychological help. Overall I'd say things were less formal and 'professional'. That said I definitely had more time for people there, and although old fashioned I don't remember anyone downright incompetent, which has sadly not been the case in London. I'd say that it was good and bad. If you are planning on working there in mental health, bear in mind that promotions etc are much thinner on the ground, although arguably quality of working life is better.

I loved living in Edinburgh, still really miss living there and if it wasn't for family and the god awful weather I might still go back. Seriously, you need to invest in a good winter coat. And start walking up hills, I don't think I ve ever been so fit just from wandering around.

I lived in Edinburgh for a long time, I loved it. The wind will bite you to the bone in the winter but a good coat will keep you warm, forget about an umbrella as it's mostly too windy to use one. Avoid moving in August-October if you can because new students arriving in the city will make it difficult to find reasonably priced accommodation.

People are wonderful, the city is beautiful and the hills make the views worthwhile. There are some fab restaurants too.

Edinburgh is seriously 3D.

That post cracked me up. :D

I remember as a wee kid, on a family holiday, seriously struggling walking about in Edinburgh & Scotland in general TBH, but at the time we lived in rural Essex, where what we thought of as our own little mountain turned out to not even be a fucking molehill after that holiday. :D

That post cracked me up. :D

I remember as a wee kid, on a family holiday, seriously struggling walking about in Edinburgh & Scotland in general TBH, but at the time we lived in rural Essex, where what we thought of as our own little mountain turned out to not even be a fucking molehill after that holiday. :D

I grew up in Lincolnshire. One of my friends at school lived on 'Windy Ridge.' Which I think was something like six metres above sea level.

Back
Top Bottom