Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NASA translates electromagnetic vibrations into 'sounds' from space

editor

hiraethified
Love this. and I've definitely heard worse experimental albums.

Can you hear sounds in space? Now you’ve probably heard that there’s no sound in space, but technically that’s not true.

Now yes, space is a virtual vacuum. However, sound does exist in the form of electromagnetic vibrations that pulsate in similar wavelengths.
What NASA did was design special instruments that could record these electromagnetic vibrations, and transferred them into sounds that our ears could hear.

Fabulous repertoire. Well done, Solar System!

From what I heard:

Sun - The Machine before it stopped in The Machine Stopped.
Mercury - Soundtrack of a horror film played at 2000' below the sea.
Venus - How fog-horns sound to someone with tinnitus.
Earth - how a jet engine sounds when you're trying to sleep, and keep drifting in and out.
Mars - what tumbleweed would sound like in a Western if it could sing.
Jupiter - the first cut of background music for the game Myst.
Saturn - the 'hypnosis sound' from The Ipcress File.
Neptune - How it sounds inside a Star Trek transporter beam.
Uranus - the frozen, bleak sound of a winter's afternoon in Whitley Bay.
Pluto - wind chimes played by Rick Wakeman.

Your mileage will definitely vary.

:)

'Sound does exist in the form of electromagnetic vibrations that pulsate in similar wavelengths'

OK but like, if it's electromagnetic waves (not vibrations as there is nothing vibrating) then it's not sound because sound is not electromagnetic waves.

I mean it's an interesting thing to do but it's very much not 'what the sun sounds like' or whatever.

'Sound does exist in the form of electromagnetic vibrations that pulsate in similar wavelengths'

OK but like, if it's electromagnetic waves (not vibrations as there is nothing vibrating) then it's not sound because sound is not electromagnetic waves.

Radio waves are EM waves. Last time I checked, it was radio waves that resulted in sounds being emitted from my radio.

Radio waves are EM waves. Last time I checked, it was radio waves that resulted in sounds being emitted from my radio.
Last time I checked it was the electricity in pretty much every radio that resulted in sounds being emitted. Radio waves are indeed EM waves but they merely encode information.
Not in the way they are implying it doesn't...

Sound exists in electrical (and thus EM form) only in the cochlear nerve and the primary auditory cortex, and parietal and frontal lobes of the cerebral cortex. Discuss.

Sound exists in electrical (and thus EM form) only in the cochlear nerve and the primary auditory cortex, and parietal and frontal lobes of the cerebral cortex. Discuss.

That's not sound either. It is a response to sound, and we interpret it as sound, but that's just a projection. The entire human sensory experience is a projection. We see with our brains, even though they live in the dark. We feel with our brains, even though they cannot sense touch. We create the experience of hearing sound using electrical impulses, but that experience is not sound.

That's not sound either. It is a response to sound, and we interpret it as sound, but that's just a projection. The entire human sensory experience is a projection. We see with our brains, even though they live in the dark. We feel with our brains, even though they cannot sense touch. We create the experience of hearing sound using electrical impulses, but that experience is not sound.

Back
Top Bottom