Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My mustard oil says "for external use only". Will I die?

?

• Total voters
fractionMan time will tell. Unless you used a generous amount of it every day, any damage is very unlikely to be permanent or noticeable.

Next time, check the small print, you numpty. :D

I thought it was for cooking. I have no idea what it's supposed to be for.

• It is poured on both sides of the threshold when someone important comes home for the first time (e.g. a newly-wedded couple or a son or daughter when returning after a long absence, or succeeding in exams or an election.
  • Used as traditional jaggo pot fuel in Punjabi weddings.
  • Used as part of home-made cosmetics during mayian.
  • Used as fuel for lighting earthen lamps (diyas) on festive occasions such as Diwali.
  • Used in instruments. The residue cake from the mustard oil pressing is mixed with sand, mustard oil and (sometimes) tar. The resulting sticky mixture is then smeared on the inside of Dholak and Dholki membranes to add weight (from underneath) to the bass membrane. This enables the typical Indian drum glissando sound, created by rubbing one's wrist over it. This is also known as a (Tel masala) Dholak Masala or oil syahi.

I've now replaced it with the "edible" blended version

med_5134ad0bcb0ed.jpg

But I'm not sure it's going to be as nice. It doesn't specify the blend ratio and contains 'flavourings" :(

What was supposed it be for??! And what did you use it for?!
Maybe its like poppers or them "legal highs" or whatever horrible cheap drugs are available these days; they have to label them as something else in order to sell them. I hope no one has ever actually used amyl as a "leather cleaner", or Methlymine (or whatever it is) as bath salts.
My rather muddled point is that they say its for external use knowing full well people are going to eat it, and that they wouldn't buy it if they didn't eat it.

Maybe its like poppers or them "legal highs" or whatever horrible cheap drugs are available these days; they have to label them as something else in order to sell them. I hope no one has ever actually used amyl as a "leather cleaner", or Methlymine (or whatever it is) as bath salts.
My rather muddled point is that they say its for external use knowing full well people are going to eat it, and that they wouldn't buy it if they didn't eat it.
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

They're labelled as 'room odourisers' which is stupid when everyone knows what they're really for. :D

l9usi.jpg

The Coney Island mustard is probably the nicest condiment I've ever tasted. The jalapeno one is hot as fuck, genuinely. Picked them up from Tesco for £3.75 each, steep but worth it. That's my mustard related news :D

American mustard that actually contains... MUSTARD?

I think I'm seeing things.
Honestly they're excellent. You can still taste the mustard in the jalapeno one (after it's melted your digestive tract). The Coney Island mustard tastes sort of like how a McDonalds hamburger smells, that blend of tomato/mustard/onion and gherkin, quite vinegarish but smooth too. Thus far I've tried it on eggs, burgers and hotdogs and they've all been winners. I've only seen them sold in the flesh in my local uber Tesco but Amazon sell a few more kinds (the honey mustard is tempting my wallet). See, America can get things right occasionally :):cool::thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom