Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Sounds like a cockup.
Surely that's a lot of excess cash - 53p instead of 34p per unit ?

Last edited:
I fired up my bed warming device last night.
A 3 foot/166 watt tubular greenhouse heater on a triac dimmer.
On the lowest setting it felt a bit warm for 20 watts.
The power factor was only about 0.3 and the VA was actually 55 watts - so hopefully I will only be charged for 20 :thumbs:

Last edited:
What’s the energy rating of the new fridge-freezer? Mine is a Zanussi that will be 31 years old in December and it works perfectly, but I’m starting to look at replacements for when it eventually fails.

Sorry for the delay in replying, only just remembered to check, the energy rating is 'F' which is equal to 'A+' on the scale used pre-March 2021, and the annual energy rating is 229kwh, 627watts per day.

The old energy ratings range was from A+++ to D. Due to the advances in technology, around 80% of appliances on the market are clustered at the top of the scale, making it hard to work out which ones truly have the best rating. Simplifying the scale, new energy labels will range from A to G.

1s.jpg

Laundry's no problem - the washing machine is cold feed only (and mostly runs at 30C). I use a shower to wash, and only very, very rarely have a bath (the HWC doesn't really supply enough water for a decently full, decently warm bath). The only thing I really use hot water for is washing at the sink, and doing the washing up.

I'd be very wary of only heating the water to 40C, because there is a lot of evidence that, at temperatures much below 50, there is quite a risk of the cylinder becoming a breeding ground for legionella bacteria.
I stand corrected. This chap argues that the domestic Legionella risk is a lot lower than is generally accepted. With some caveats.

Reactions: Chz
Now all I've got to do is find a way of getting that +ve balance out of my Bulb account and into my account and I'll be able to have my bill paid AND a drink on the government :thumbs::thumbs:

So, ah! is anyone else coming out "ahead" in the old 'lecky bill front??

But, that comparison is to a bill at the old rates, how are doing during the current billing period?

From 22/9 to 6/10 my combined electric/gas total bill so far is £30.53 for 16 days, equal to £57.24 for the billing period, whilst 9 of those days are at the old rate, from 1/10 the new fridge-freezer came into use, and my average cost per day is down on the new rates, so I think the actual bill will be even less than that, which makes cupid a very happy bunny. :)

That's assuming I don't need the heating on before 21st Oct. :hmm:

Sorry for the delay in replying, only just remembered to check, the energy rating is 'F' which is equal to 'A+' on the scale used pre-March 2021, and the annual energy rating is 229kwh, 627watts per day.

View attachment 346106
If I'm reading my power monitor correctly, at 11 hours I'm looking at a consumption of .86kW. Which works out at 1.8kW/day.

About 2.5x what the fridge/freezer I'm looking at online will achieve :hmm:

So, ah! is anyone else coming out "ahead" in the old 'lecky bill front??
I had a shouting match with someone elsewhere because of my insistence that my bill was "negative".
I very much doubt I will use any heating in October so I will come close to zero for a second month even at the new rate. :)
I'm hoping that by the time I really need heating I will be able to do away with my fridge which burns 2kwh per day.

I'm hoping that by the time I really need heating I will be able to do away with my fridge which burns 2kwh per day.

Have you not thought of getting a better fridge?

This one is probably bigger than you need, but it's annual energy consumption is just 113kwh, 0,31kwh per day, and if I've got my maths right, paying for itself in just over 7 months of use.

One thing just occurred to me...if people are paying by direct debit, as so many people do, and the payments are supposed to be evenly spread over the year, but the government rebate is only for the winter months - won't people suddenly have to pay more in spring, when they least expect it?

Esp if they reduce the inflated looking DD amounts now?
Like in my example, if I say to my flatmates now - let's reduce that direct debit to reflect the price guaranteed by the government now, and let's all pay x amount less into the house account, because we'll also be getting sixty pounds back - we'll have sixty pounds more to pay in spring, despite being actual energy consumption lower then?

But, that comparison is to a bill at the old rates, how are doing during the current billing period?
We don't heat using electricity. Well we do, underfloor heating in the bathroom, you remember, the one that doesn't use any leccy. We've had it on for the last week, turns out it uses "quite a bit" maybe 5KWh a day, but that's not with the timer or the thermostat set. That's the next item to address, our main source of heat is bulk lpg central heating and I think we can get the that to last this winter / next summer / maybe next winter on the one tank full, and that's already bought and paid for. We also use wood and smokeless coal again this winter's is already bought and paid for. Don't get me wrong we're not going to be sat around in our underwear with the windows open sipping iced drinks (well, we will be sipping iced drinks, but the rest, not so)

My bed heating works quite well - ostensibly not much different to a hot water bottle or sharing the bed with another mammal.
50 watts averaged over 3 feet - up to 166 to prewarm ...
It doesn't do the feet though ...

bedheater.jpg

Last edited:
One thing just occurred to me...if people are paying by direct debit, as so many people do, and the payments are supposed to be evenly spread over the year, but the government rebate is only for the winter months - won't people suddenly have to pay more in spring, when they least expect it?

Esp if they reduce the inflated looking DD amounts now?
Like in my example, if I say to my flatmates now - let's reduce that direct debit to reflect the price guaranteed by the government now, and let's all pay x amount less into the house account, because we'll also be getting sixty pounds back - we'll have sixty pounds more to pay in spring, despite being actual energy consumption lower then?
Direct debits spread the load throughout the year, you run up a big debt over winter, pay it down again over spring and summer and build up a credit over autumn ready for next winter. The government rebate is going to be more help for people who pay the bills as they fall due. For those of us on DD it's probably better to think of it as just extra income which you might spend on energy. I'm not planning to reduce my DD's during the period I get the rebate, I will stash the rebate away and class it as unexpected (but welcome) 'rainy day' funds.

Direct debits spread the load throughout the year, you run up a big debt over winter, pay it down again over spring and summer and build up a credit over autumn ready for next winter. The government rebate is going to be more help for people who pay the bills as they fall due. For those of us on DD it's probably better to think of it as just extra income which you might spend on energy. I'm not planning to reduce my DD's during the period I get the rebate, I will stash the rebate away and class it as unexpected (but welcome) 'rainy day' funds.
Ours is going into the shopping budget which feels out of control.

View attachment 346106
Thank you, that is helpful. The manual for my 31 year old fridge-freezer says “Average daily units 2.7Kwh”. Daily, vs your 627Kwh is quite incredible. Maybe I won’t wait until this one packs up, and replace it sooner rather than later. I’ve just learned that large electrical appliances can be bought via Boots, earning the loyalty card points, although they are supplied, delivered and installed by AO.com.

I see the £66 rebate has been credited to my EDF electricity account, although my monthly direct debit is fixed until September 2023 at only £52! My age will qualify me for the Winter Fuel Allowance too.

It’s already over £200 in credit and they will probably do a refund into my bank account when the next half yearly statement is done at the end of December.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 4
Thank you, that is helpful. The manual for my 31 year old fridge-freezer says “Average daily units 2.7Kwh”. Daily, vs your 627Kwh is quite incredible. Maybe I won’t wait until this one packs up, and replace it sooner rather than later. I’ve just learned that large electrical appliances can be bought via Boots, earning the loyalty card points, although they are supplied, delivered and installed by AO.com.

TBF the fridge-freezer I got is about 2/3rd the size of the old one, basically about half way between my former full-sized upright and the standard under the counter models. but it's enough for me, and the savings are very pleasing, together with the air-flyer & a few other small changes, I've gone from about 5kwh of electric a day in August, to an average of 2.7kwh a day so far this month.

I don't usually replace things until they break, but on this occasion I am bloody glad a did.

Last edited:
Has anyone bought a power usage meter to measure devices? Are they much a muchness or is it something it pays to spend a few pounds more?

Has anyone bought a power usage meter to measure devices? Are they much a muchness or is it something it pays to spend a few pounds more?
Upthread there were some ebay links - as low as £12.99
I think it's basically the same chipset used in smart meters .. doubtless all made in China to near-identical designs
I bought one some years back that went on the blink - but I think they're all similar.
I recently bought one from Amazon - paid a few quid extra for backlighting..

TBF the fridge-freezer I got is about 2/3rd the size of the old one, basically about half way between my former full-sized upright and the standard under the counter models. but it's enough for me, and the savings are very pleasing, together with the air-flyer & a few other small changes, I've gone from about 5kwh of electric a day in August, to an average of 2.7kwh a day so far this month.

I don't usually replace things until they break, but on this occasion I am bloody glad a did.
I still need at least four freezer drawers, five would be even better, and no less fridge space than I have now. And frost-free, as mine has never had any ice build up, unlike both my daughters’ freezers which constantly jam up with ice. Two of the fridge door compartments cracked and are duct-taped, and I’ve replaced the bulb twice, but really it’s a great testimony to the longevity of Zanussi appliances (or at least, their ‘80s and ‘90s build - the new replacement I bought for a 34 year old electric oven is rubbish in comparison). I might look at pre-owned.

I guess the size of the freezer makes a big difference to the power consumption. I’ll research it thoroughly but I really appreciate the heads-up that it’s a significant consideration!

Back
Top Bottom