Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

I suspect electricity suppliers will be tasked with cross-referencing their customer databases with a list of properties that are recorded as not being on the gas grid.

I've just taken my meter readings for the month to 7th February.

Compared to the same period last year, the outside temperature was just 1°C colder on average. And, like last month, it was below zero for some of the time (6%) compared to no temperatures recorded below zero last year.

I've used 4% less electricity than last year which is the worst saving I've made since I've been trying. However, I think I used the fan heater more than I should have to boost the temperature a few times when I moved rooms and the central heating would take too long on its own to heat them up.

My gas use was 18% less than last year which is a useful saving especially as it has been colder over the last 31 days compared to the same period last year.

I've largely been using just the fan heater over the last week and have remembered how good the dehumidifier is. Desiccant type so blows out warm air and a third the energy consumption of the fan heater. It's good drying out the room, too, because RH in Cornwall is normally about 90% while it's supposed to be 40-60% for the house.

Makes it easier to heat the room up and it's got to 15-16 degrees which is as warm as I like it with just a 10-minute fan heater boost every so often. Also means the upstairs room where I am of an evening is fairly well insulated.

Just my last month's bill through. A snip at £850.

They think my meter must be fucked. Particularly since I've been out of the country for the last two weeks. But I've still gotta pay half of that until they can send someone out next month.

Let's hope the meter is fucked.

I had a fucked electric meter once, reverse problem of it not registering use, took SSE about 3 months to replace it, so off went the gas, and on went the immersion and other electric heaters.

They were also my gas supplier, but I banked on them not noticing bugger all gas use, they didn't, I also negotiated 25% off what they wanted me to pay for estimated use whilst it wasn't working. :)

Let's hope the meter is fucked.

I had a fucked electric meter once, reverse problem of it not registering use, took SSE about 3 months to replace it, so off went the gas, and on went the immersion and other electric heaters.

They were also my gas supplier, but I banked on them not noticing bugger all gas use, they didn't, I also negotiated 25% off what they wanted me to pay for estimated use whilst it wasn't working. :)

They claim that once my smart meter's installed in March they'll be able to figure out why it's so crazy (the guy agreed there's no way in hell I could have used that much) and they'll refund me. Of course I'll believe that when I see it.

Just got my latest Shell bill - for January 1st-31st 2023 - £421.77, net of the £67 govenment relief payment. Not much better than calendar December 22 - £440.98

As you might imagine I wasn't happy to see the SGN van outside this morning......

i meter men.jpg
(as seen in the i on Saturday)

If your moving from SSE to OVO dont bother trying to set your new account up , i just wasted an hour to find out they have IT issues and people can't sign up yet...... so i can't even see what im using or paying now... lol

If your moving from SSE to OVO dont bother trying to set your new account up , i just wasted an hour to find out they have IT issues and people can't sign up yet...... so i can't even see what im using or paying now... lol
I was moved from sse to ovo about a year ago now. Think they switch customers over at different times. Ovo's site is much better than Sse's site. Not tried logging into it today though.

OVO has owned SSE's retail side for some years now, but they have been transferring customers onto the OVO system in stages, I was switched just over a year ago, I didn't need to set-up a new account, as it was the same login details.

I got this yesterday evening:

As a Shell Energy customer, we want you to receive the best possible service. That’s why we’ve been working closely with Citizens Advice and Advice Direct Scotland, the official sources of free and independent energy advice and support. They can provide you with impartial advice about your energy supply.

Was this because I bank with the Bank of Scotland - even though I live in London?
Citizens Advice Scotland can't advise customers in England - as the link goes on to advise.
Bit of a waste of electricity I reckon.​

I got this yesterday evening:

As a Shell Energy customer, we want you to receive the best possible service. That’s why we’ve been working closely with Citizens Advice and Advice Direct Scotland, the official sources of free and independent energy advice and support. They can provide you with impartial advice about your energy supply.

Was this because I bank with the Bank of Scotland - even though I live in London?
Citizens Advice Scotland can't advise customers in England - as the link goes on to advise.
Bit of a waste of electricity I reckon.​
That's a bit like the email I got from Bulb yesterday when they sent me my latest statement.

They said they had based it on estimates as the last meter readings I'd given them were on 7th December.

However, on the previous emails I received from them (on Tuesday) they thanked me for submitting my meter readings and the statement they sent me included those readings from Tuesday. :confused:

Reactions: CH1
I've just remembered Jan is the first month I can do a proper comparison to last year, as I was switched over to the OVO system and started taking monthly readings,

1p.png
So, electric use down by over 60%, which means I paid 35% less, which is nice, OTOH gas use down by over 45%, but I paid out almost 40% more.

So, combined electric & gas cost me £99.94 last year, and £111.24 this year, that surprises me.

* Ex-vat and standing charges.

I just gave my first meter readings to Octopus as opposed to Bulb.

Bloody hell their website is like Piccadilly Circus - there's even a "wheel of fortune" when you submit a reading.
Perhaps it's a way to force you onto a smart meter...

Maybe I'll see if there's an "accessibility" option that winds it all down...

---------------

Nov. 97 kwh
Dec 181 kwh
Jan 146 kwh
Feb 131 kwh est

Total Energy use 555 kwh
Total heating this winter 232 kwh

Last edited:
I just gave my first meter readings to Octopus as opposed to Bulb.

Bloody hell their website is like Piccadilly Circus - there's even a "wheel of fortune" when you submit a reading.
Perhaps it's a way to force you onto a smart meter...

Maybe I'll see if there's an "accessibility" option that winds it all down...

---------------
maybe the opposite & it'll discourage you from getting one. if you have a smart meter you're eligible for an extra spin each month.
weirdly I get offered that every time, even though I've still an old fashioned meter. I'll not tell them. still have never won any prize mind you.

Does that mean the bill in April will be higher, or from April to show up subsequently?

Either way, it's fucked up
it'll be higher in part for your first bill after April 1st and in full for the bills after that. assuming you pay in arrears.
the current energy guarantee expires on 31/03 and the new higher one will start on 01/04. that is applied to the unit rate on each day in your billing period.

Don't see how that works considering gas prices are coming down. :mad:

Gas prices are coming down and that will reduce the OFGEM 'Price Cap', however, that is still higher than the government's 'Energy Price Guarantee', even with that going up from £2.5k to £3k from the 1st Apr.

* OFGEM's price cap from 1st Jan is £4,279 and Cornwall Insight is currently forecasting that to drop to £3,200 from 1st Apr., but it may come in very slightly under £3k, and certainly should do for the second half of the year, in which case bills will come down.

There will probably be competion on fixed rate deals soon, and the switching supplier game will be back on.
That would be good. I am tempted to fuck off from Eon who are shit, and who I suspect aren’t charging me for gas as I’ve not had a gas bill since July (despite having a smart meter and regularly submitting readings). I do get regular electricity bills that match my submissions though.

EDF have emailed me to say they are giving us £200 from the government because we use 'alternative fuels'. What does that even mean? We don't burn Tories or anything...
Yeah, my neighbour just had her payment so her electricity account is way in credit. It’s a bit of an annoyance that the money has to sit in the electric account rather than in the bank or, for that matter, go straight to the fuel merchant for a top up of oil.

Back
Top Bottom