Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

It's damp in cornwall and I don't heat all the rooms. Fairly lucky that I don't (touch wood) suffer from the damp in rooms though. One thing I've discovered that works incredibly well when I do get damp is a foam that you can put on mould on walls. I'd used Dettol Mould & Mildew which I have to say is very good, but the foam is wonderful. I had a bit of wall which was black and I thought I was going to have to repaint the whole room but I used this foam on it and the black disappeared :eek: magical it were magical
Tell me! Tell me quick, what is it?

Also, are prices not set to rise by 54%? Rather than, say, 300%?
The first thing I do when my supplier sends a garbled letter* 'explaining' how they arrived at a grossly inflated direct debit figure is get in touch to give them a more realistic direct debit figure and insist upon it.

*EDF neglected to factor in my not inconsiderable overpayments when they were last in touch as well as overstating projected consumption and excluding any information that would enable a direct comparison to a previous period. I have a spreadsheet with all the meter readings, prices and averages since we moved to this house. I offered to send a copy to EDF but they refused. Oddly.

For any unite the union members just a reminder that they are doing their annual energy mass purchase in June. Previously I’ve not bothered but I’ve registered my interest and will just have to suck up three months of Bulbs new prices

It is particularly overcast & dull today, a bit less than it was this time yesterday.
However, I've managed without putting on the lights for both days, and as it's not actually frosty today I'll have something unheated for lunch, apart from another mug of coffee.

Little things ...

I was planning on logging up some more firewood this afternoon, but the rain last night & yesterday have knocked that back for a couple of days.
Need to bring some more of the ready to use pile indoors, preferably the thinner stuff.
Only problem with that is it burns up too quickly, unless very carefully loaded into the firebox.

For any unite the union members just a reminder that they are doing their annual energy mass purchase in June. Previously I’ve not bothered but I’ve registered my interest and will just have to suck up three months of Bulbs new prices
Where do you register interest? I'm a long time member but couldn't find info about this.

Hmm, just had a look at what fixed rate deals my supplier (Octopus) might offer, just for interest.

Electricity 37p/kWh, gas 11.5p/kWh.

I think I might not…

Hmm, just had a look at what fixed rate deals my supplier (Octopus) might offer, just for interest.

Electricity 37p/kWh, gas 11.5p/kWh.

I think I might not…

Those rates are similar to what the standard capped rates from October would be if there were another 50% increase to the cap, which is probably the most likely scenario. However paying those rates for 12 months from now until April 2023 instead of for six months from October wouldn't be a good idea - I can't see that the small risk of a much higher cap rate would justify it.

Where do you register interest? I'm a long time member but couldn't find info about this.

This is not a straightforward comparison, this is a grouping together of union members and they then get "several" energy suppliers to tender for however many members are in the pool(?) currently there's over 16,000 showing interest

The claim is that the average saving is in the region of £150 . . . but we'll see

Ooo!! and in other news

It would appear that we've tracked down the item that is massively tipping us over the national average for a 3 bed house

Once again, it was the saintly Mrs Voltz who raised this as a potential power leech, despite my protestations that it couldn't be and that was the underfloor heating in the bathroom - when we put it in the energy consumption was given as "around 40p / day" which we could live with, but that was back when electricity was 'apence three farthings a wattnot per week

Now, in my defence I've checked and double checked the power usage for the same make as we've got but I'm not 100% convinced whether we've got the 150watt or the 200watt system. So I've done all my workings on the 200watt system. I've measured the bathroom floor and rounded up the floor area to again, trying for worst case scenario.

So my figurings were:-
2 sq m heated area at 200watt per meter = 400watts per hour - I'm unsure as to how long it's on for, Mrs Voltz is IC timer on this one. Long story short, I switched it off totally and the 24hr power consumption went from "around" 10KHw to "around" 7KWh - which is actually below the national average, but during that time we ran no other "power hungry" items

Other points of interest are - the fridge freezer uses "around" 1KW / day - just being a fridge freezer
The TV plug - which powered the TV and soundbar uses "around" .6KW / day
The dishwasher on the eco mode uses .74KW for a complete cycle
We've also established that the 3way valve on the central heating / water heater appears to be broken so whilst we were switching the boiler on to heat the water it wasn't actually heating any water - the 3KW immersion element was doing ALL the heating. So that's in the process of being fixed

Providing the underfloor heater IS the hidden energy user then switching it off in the summer (yes, I know, but I thought it only cost tuppence to run and we have ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom) could almost off set most of this price increase

And getting the LPG boiler to actually heat the water rather than just burning gas won't be a bad thing either

Every day's a school day

As a result of this thread I dug out my old consumer smart meter. It links to my supplier to show electricity and gas usage and price.

It was scary. When I got it, about three years ago it was interesting to see but was small amount of cash. It was horrendous yesterday seeing the pounds tick up even with out much on. i might turn it off again...

As a result of this thread I dug out my old consumer smart meter. It links to my supplier to show electricity and gas usage and price.

It was scary. When I got it, about three years ago it was interesting to see but was small amount of cash. It was horrendous yesterday seeing the pounds tick up even with out much on. i might turn it off again...
Can't worry about what you don't know eh?

Got the email yesterday- my electricity is going up by about a third and gas by about half from April first.
This is on top of several smaller rises/adjustments that have put my bills up about a quarter since the summer.

capture-jpg.312475

There goes any hope of prices coming down slightly at the October price cap:

View attachment 312475

Still going up...508p now

According to British Gas (my old supplier went under) my bill from April will be about 400% of my bill a year ago
I'm still renting so no option to sort myself out with a wood burner or similar
And because of the housing crisis I can't risk moving anyone in with me to split the bills else I'll get kicked out and have to pay double what I'm paying now (which is already a lot)
Am worried I've got a pay cut or redundancy coming at work because the energy bills are causing a massive strain there too

I think the heating at home is all gas, if I plugged in some electric heaters would they be cheaper?

According to British Gas (my old supplier went under) my bill from April will be about 400% of my bill a year ago
I'm still renting so no option to sort myself out with a wood burner or similar
And because of the housing crisis I can't risk moving anyone in with me to split the bills else I'll get kicked out and have to pay double what I'm paying now (which is already a lot)
Am worried I've got a pay cut or redundancy coming at work because the energy bills are causing a massive strain there too

I think the heating at home is all gas, if I plugged in some electric heaters would they be cheaper?
Unfortunately no, my understanding is that both electricity and gas prices are up by a similar amount due to the price cap and generally speaking gas heating is more cost effective.

I can't help but think this energy crisis will end up triggering a recession and the government is sleepwalking into it

Back
Top Bottom