Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mustard on the Moon! China launches far-side Lunar lander with biology onboard, 8th Dec 2018

editor

hiraethified
Mustard on the Moon!
China is set to launch on December 8 the first farside lunar landing mission in history, headed for a touchdown within the South Pole‐Aitken (SPA) basin following a 27-day flight.

The scientific instruments of China’s robotic Chang’e-4 lander/rover will analyze both surface and subsurface of this region. Both the lander and the rover were designed as a backup for the successful December 2013 Chang’e-3 lander and Yutu rover mission.

As prelude to the upcoming Moon mission, China launched the Queqiao relay satellite last May. It is now positioned in an Earth-Moon L2 Lagrange point – a place in space where the spacecraft can handle communications between ground controllers and the farside lander/rover mission.
Biological experiment

According to an earlierXinhua news agency story, the Chang’e-4 will carry a tin containing seeds of potato and arabidopsis, a small flowering plant related to cabbage and mustard. It may also tote along silkworm eggs to conduct the first biological experiment on the Moon.

This “lunar mini biosphere” experiment was designed by 28 Chinese universities, led by southwest China’s Chongqing University, The cylindrical tin, made f

China Readies Farside Moon Mission

Chang’e-4 has been launched and that has apparently officially been declared a success. It completed the trans-lunar injection burn a short time ago and is now in the coast en route to the Moon (transfer orbit of around 200x420000km).

Not sure how well the mustard will go with Wallaces cheese sandwiches...
My first thought was - on the other side of the moon, we have no line of sight, is the static lander actually just of the border? There is some wobble so it could operate this way but the best would be this, Queqiao, a communication satellite which they launched in May to prepare for this - what? I do not recall that event but total utter respect
"It will settle in an orbit about 455,000 km (282,555 miles) from Earth."
China launch will prep for Moon landing
Definitely time to learned Mandarin.....:thumbs::cool:

Chang’e-4 has been picked up by amateur radio observers who spotted it executing a trajectory correction burn a few hours ago on the way to the Moon (the kink in the gradually changing Doppler shift in frequency highlights the acceleration arising from the manoeuvre). Now well over half way there, it should arrive in lunar orbit around 1500UTC on Tuesday.
Dt7icgxV4AAjRkW.png:small

Chinese officials have reported that Chang’e-4 entered lunar orbit (100x400km) early on Wednesday. It’s notable though that a handful of amateur radio observers (who tracked it in the trans-lunar coast) have since heard no signal from the craft (in contrast to previous missions).

Do you think they'll send people to the moon any time soon? I know there's talk of a Chinese space station in the works.

I'd love to see it in my lifetime, missed the last moon landings by over a decade. :(

Do you think they'll send people to the moon any time soon? I know there's talk of a Chinese space station in the works.
They are conducting studies for a crewed lunar landing mission targeted for the 2030’s. There is already a Chinese space station (Tiangong). They are planning a larger modular version (Tianhe) for launch in 2020.

Fuck the Chinese Communist Party and their "space" programme.

Yep, doesn't sit right reading about the great achievements of somewhere that's put a million Uighurs in gulags - whatever they do in space, this is a country moving backward, not forward.

They are conducting studies for a crewed lunar landing mission targeted for the 2030’s. There is already a Chinese space station (Tiangong). They are planning a larger modular version (Tianhe) for launch in 2020.
I didn't know the Chinese had a space station, don't they use twitter?

At least science is still flourishing.

Science never flourishes under authoritarianism. It can't be permitted to.

The Soviet Union had a good space program, but biological sciences were put back decades by Stalin's and Krushchev's insistence on fields of study which they decided, in their near-total ignorance, were inkeeping with dialectical materialism.

Science never flourishes under authoritarianism. It can't be permitted to.

The Soviet Union had a good space program, but biological sciences were put back decades by Stalin's and Krushchev's insistence on fields of study which they decided, in their near-total ignorance, were inkeeping with dialectical materialism.

How come they had a good space programme then?

Yep, doesn't sit right reading about the great achievements of somewhere that's put a million Uighurs in gulags - whatever they do in space, this is a country moving backward, not forward.
Dark side of the planet. Someone should send a probe.

Back
Top Bottom