Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

music making software

Nixon

peanut butter n.w.o.
okay

id like to get some music making software..something downloadable or buyable either one suits me ok..but i don't know a lot about software.i've heard fruit loops is ok and i don't know if cubase,is dated and shite because i've heard the name before :oops: ..im looking to get something to faff on and primarily make bassy,dirty techno and breaks..so i'd need one which is ok for that type of music.oh and something that's you can teach yourself to use,or is easy enough to get to grips with.

Can anyone recommend any programmes or websites that will help me on my journey to beat making wisdom? :cool:

Come on wise music forumers :)

get the free version of Acid Xpress. it's ace for messing about with loops and it's completely intuitive, really easy to learn.

if you should feel inclined to check out the winter music comp, you can hear for yourself... ;)

Well do you want to faff or make bassy, dirty techno and breaks? :p

I never even bothered playing about with fruityloops (now FL studio) and found acid a bit too boring in terms of it's limitations (i don't really just want to sit around playing with loops and stuff, even though it might be easy to get the hang of).

I would generally always reccomend people who want something to start on to get a copy of Reason 3 and if it baffles you too much there are plenty of video tutorials you can *find* online (much like how you can *find* Reason ;)).

It might take more effort in learning it's ins and outs than stuff like acid and FL, but it'll teach you a lot more about production, in the event you do really get into it and want to delve in to more comprohensive pieces of software.

Do check out Ableton Live 6 if you can too, very different kind of workflow and using the basic start up tutorials you can be playing with it in no time.

(And on the subject of Cubase, it is faaaaar from dated and shite, as long as you don't use some ancient version of it! Cubase SX3 has been my sequencer of choice without question since i got into production properly instead of just playing about with Reason in my spare time.)

Go with Kanda and everyone's suggestions to download whichever of the demos of say Reason 3, Ableton Live 6, FL Studio and Acid which take your fancy and just play about until you find something you feel comfortable enough with to acquire a copy of (whichever way your morals are inclined :p) and just focus on learning how to use whatever as well as you can. By then i guess you'll know if you just want to carry on 'faffing' with whatever you're using or whether you want to try out some of the more 'fully featured' sequencers and VSTs.

:cool:

I think you'll find - i'm bigger and BOLDER and rougher and tougher, in other words sucker...

There is no udder :cool:

cow.jpeg

Logic is the best proper music software short of ProTools and is involved somewhere along the line in most professional production, not for lightweights though ;)

beesonthewhatnow said:
Nah, get a copy of Cubase or Logic*, a few VSTs and learn to use a proper program :p ;)

Used them both - too clinical and long-winded for me - I like Reason for the speed in which you can rustle up ideas, plus the mahoossive refill library of mine is badass..

I'm trying to get to grips with cubase having mastered FL, but what programs to people use for creating fresh drum beats and synth loops, from scratch, not just samples?

I've got grooveagent but you cant program your own beats.

I need to spend more time on it tbh....

Yetman said:
I'm trying to get to grips with cubase having mastered FL, but what programs to people use for creating fresh drum beats and synth loops, from scratch, not just samples?

I've got grooveagent but you cant program your own beats.

I need to spend more time on it tbh....

I'm in exactly the same boat as you with cubase. I managed to *find;) * some tutorial videos on the net that helped a lot. I think you just need to invest the time tbh!

pk said:
Used them both - too clinical and long-winded for me - I like Reason for the speed in which you can rustle up ideas, plus the mahoossive refill library of mine is badass..
I guess it's down to being used to one thing or another, but I find I can get stuff done in Cubase waaaay faster than I can in Reason...

Oh, and Reason is useless for at least 50% of my work as I record real instruments and vocalists etc. I can't work out why they haven't added audio recording into it, seems to be such an obvious upgrade. Version 4 maybe?

beesonthewhatnow said:
Stylus RMX.

You want it.

Looks big....good though, can you.....ah just looked, yes you can (see it in midi track by track) cheers I'll check it out :)

It depends what your after. I use cubase which I love but reason is quite good. It doesn't go as deep into various production techniques but it does have a good variety of plug ins and the sequencer isn't bad.

It might be worth investing in something like logic or cubase though but it is alot of money (if your planning on buying it). It can be a bit daunting at first and takes a bit of time to get used to but once you know the ins and out there's an amazing amount of stuff you can do with it.

beesonthewhatnow said:
Stylus RMX.

You want it.

Seconded, that was definitely my best purchase of the year (and yes, i actually PAID for it! :D). Thank you very much indeed for that recommendation :cool:

cheers for the advice guys.ill come back to report if i get anywhere,but im gonna try and get hold of a copy of Reason :)

moggy pm on way ;)

Moggy said:
Seconded, that was definitely my best purchase of the year (and yes, i actually PAID for it! :D). Thank you very much indeed for that recommendation :cool:

That good?!?:eek:

The first ever bit of music software I felt obliged to pay for was ableton live, could this be the second??? Tell me what it does so well..?

electroplated said:
That good?!?:eek:

The first ever bit of music software I felt obliged to pay for was ableton live, could this be the second??? Tell me what it does so well..?

Yes, THAT good, it's the only other piece of software i've paid for apart from Cubase SX3.

I can't begin to go through everything you can do with it to be honest (although i probably will in the morning when i'm more awake), it got me working with drums and grooves like never before, have pretty much stopped using Battery full stop now. I'm really surprised more people haven't heard of it, but usually once i've given my mates a quick demonstration with it they totally agree. There might be a demo online, but it is 'available' online if you can't stretch to £130 (which i still think is a massive bargain, considering the libraries and shit that come with it).

Am really intrigued as to what Spectrasonics are upto at the minute since their Happy New Year email said they're working on a load of new things plus loads of new enhancements for current and future software, but they're not saying anymore :mad:

electroplated said:
cheers for the info mate, i've just got my hands on a copy, looking forward to having a go! :)
Have you bought it? Or "borrowed" ( ;) ) it? If the latter, make sure you have the 8gig sample set that comes with it, it's useless without....

Back
Top Bottom