Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

Can't be sure whether this empty building was formerly a pub, but it looks like it from the design:

View attachment 35437

But this one was:

View attachment 35436

bits of Prime Suspect 5: Errors of Judgement was filmed around here - one of the old pubs, possibly the first one, was used as a drug dealer's den/secure house - the fencing at the back looks familiar

Was there a staircase and metal balcony at the back of the building Farmer

bits of Prime Suspect 5: Errors of Judgement was filmed around here - one of the old pubs, possibly the first one, was used as a drug dealer's den/secure house - the fencing at the back looks familiar

Can't remember - which pub should have the metal staircase? I could pop back to check as its not far away.

1044803_4952952312112_1792586063_n.jpg

I had a bit of a walk yesterday; along one of the Avenues, across Pearson Park, down Beverley Road, along Freetown Way and up into east Hull along Witham and the Holderness Road. Some pics;

aIMAG4648.jpg

Coming home from the pub on Friday evening I walked down a path I've never used before just off Chanterlands Avenue, and found a load of weird modern houses.

aIMAG4650.jpg

Corner of Marlborough Avenue and Richmond Street.

aIMAG4651.jpg

Some of the trees in the Avenues were taken down in the 1990s, because of some disease IIRC. The stumps were carved into totem pole-esque shapes by local artists.

aIMAG4654.jpg

Typical Victorian houses on Marlborough Ave.

aIMAG4658.jpg

Some of the oldest houses in the Avenues, near the corner of Princes Ave and Marlborough Ave.

aIMAG4661.jpg

Community arts festival in Pearson Park. I stayed to listen to a couple of the bands, which is why I didn't walk as far in east Hull as I planned.

aIMAG4662.jpg

From the same spot looking the other way: Hull Bowls Club doing their thing.

aIMAG4663.jpg

Eastern end of Pearson Park, with the recently-reopened Pearson Park Hotel. A lovely spot to watch the world go by with a pint on a summer afternoon.

aIMAG4665.jpg

The gateway to Pearson Park, except that the ornamental gates were taken down in the scrap drive in World war II and have never been replaced. Most of the houses in this view have been turned into flats. I know this 'cos ten years ago I was knocking off a lad who lived in one of them. :oops:

aIMAG4669.jpg

Former Dorchester Hotel on Beverley Road. Was sporting 'sold' signs recently, but that seems to have fallen through, although some work is evidently being done on it.

aIMAG4671.jpg

Beverley Road swimming baths, and Stepney primary school.

aIMAG4673.jpg

This used to be a singularly unprepossessing pub; now a well-rated Polish restaurant.

aIMAG4674.jpg

The former Stepney railway station. The pub opposite used to have a signal box in what is now the beer garden.

aIMAG4675.jpg

The old Northern Library. Hull City Council have boasted that they're one of the few local authorities not to have closed a library in the current spending cuts. The main reason they haven't IMO is that they reorganised the library service in 2005 and shut down a few less well used ones, including this one.

aIMAG4677.jpg

Lovely Georgian villas at the bottom of Beverley Road, which is IMO the single most interesting street in the city - walking up it out of town is to walk from the outer edges of the Georgian town, through the Victorian boom town, and then out into successive phases of twentieth-century development. And a few bomb sites.

aIMAG4679.jpg

Old Trafalgar Street chapel. I don't ever remember it being open, and when I lived on Beverley Road the alley behind it was a frequent venue for a furtive piss on the way home from clubs in town. :D

aIMAG4680.jpg

Kingston youth centre.

aIMAG4684.jpg

Looking into the industrial area along the river, down Raywell Street.

aIMAG4686.jpg

More industrial stuff.

aIMAG4689.jpg

Rough ol' dive of a pub on the right, followed by more 50s industrial development, mostly built over what was a very badly bombed part of the city.

aIMAG4690.jpg

More mundane industrial streets.

aIMAG4692.jpg

Freetown Way. The brown building opposite is the archives and local studies library.

aIMAG4694.jpg

Other side of Freetown Way - which was uncannily quiet - looking north.

aIMAG4697.jpg

Part of Hull College.

aIMAG4698.jpg

Ditto.

aIMAG4702.jpg

Bottom of Wincolmlee - very industrial further up but with some fascinating buildings and a couple of surprisingly great pubs. Didn't have time to walk that way yesterday though.

Attachments

• aIMAG4680.jpg
    aIMAG4680.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 2
aIMAG4703.jpg

Vacant industrial unit by the river.

aIMAG4704.jpg

View northwards up the River Hull, from North Bridge.

aIMAG4705.jpg

And the view in the other direction, with Drypool Bridge and the old flour mill in the background.

aIMAG4706.jpg

Years ago the big shop used to be an undertaker called Boddy and Son. :D

aIMAG4708.jpg

Hire this pub? No thanks.

aIMAG4710.jpg

View along New Cleveland Street. The legendary Spiders is in the far distance.

aIMAG4712.jpg

View along Witham.

aIMAG4713.jpg

Witham used to be car-dealer central. Most of them have either shut or relocated, giving the whole street a pretty desolate feel. That said, it's one of the main night-out destinations for the lager-and-fighting brigade these days, as there are quite a few bars down there.

aIMAG4714.jpg

Side street. I wonder what the pointy building in the background is - must go back and find out.

aIMAG4716.jpg

Bottom end of Witham, at the corner with Dansom Lane.

aIMAG4717.jpg

Not somewhere I'm very keen to try for a drink, tbh.

aIMAG4718.jpg

More industry.

aIMAG4719.jpg

Another of Witham's oh-so-classy bars.

aIMAG4720.jpg

The big green building used to be a club and bowling alley. Now a dance studio.

aIMAG4722.jpg

Former ( :mad: ) James Reckitt Library.

aIMAG4726.jpg

At the bottom of Witham, on the corner with Brazil Street.

aIMAG4727.jpg

Apparently this eyesore is up for redevelopment. Seeing it shut in 2009 was a first indicator of how hard the recession was hitting the city.

aIMAG4728.jpg

Mundane retail park.

aIMAG4729.jpg

Bottom of the Holderness Road.

aIMAG4731.jpg

I found some more arches!

aIMAG4734.jpg

Holderness Road, framed by the railway bridge which carries the freight line down to the docks.

aIMAG4735.jpg

Mundane ol' Holderness Road.

aIMAG4736.jpg

Another rough old dive, now closed.

aIMAG4737.jpg

Holderness Road again.

aIMAG4738.jpg

Interesting 30s building.

aIMAG4740.jpg

... and some rather pretty Victorian houses, now shops.

aIMAG4741.jpg

Ugly church.

aIMAG4742.jpg

Pramland. Not something I'm ever likely to need.

aIMAG4743.jpgaIMAG4744.jpg

Cant work out how to separate these two without deleting one. :oops: The house on the left is the birthplace of J. Arthur Rank, according to the blue plaque. The statue is James Stuart, whoever he might have been.

aIMAG4745.jpg

Edge of Garden Village, an early twentieth-century garden suburb, now east Hull's equivalent of The Avenues.

aIMAG4746.jpg

The Bank pub, on the corner of Southcoates Lane.

aIMAG4747.jpg

Why a local taxi firm has decided to fly the rainbow flag I can't imagine, although it is pride next weekend. :cool:

aIMAG4748.jpg

Waiting for a bus back into town, opposite some very mundane shops.

aIMAG4750.jpg

One of Holderness Road's endless side streets.

aIMAG4753.jpg

More shops.

aIMAG4756.jpg

Bus stops by a scaffolded building, near the junction with Witham and Mount Pleasant. Which isn't.

I also took a few pics nearer home last night:

aIMAG4759.jpg

The Queens, on the corner of Queens Road and Princes Avenue. Used to be the local fash pub. Last time the EDL tried to meet in there the landlord told them to fuck off. :cool:

aIMAG4760.jpg

Newland Avenue, from under the railway bridge.

aIMAG4761.jpg

This place used to be a hideous old dive called the Nags Head. Now part of what the local trendy types call the Newland Avenue Scene. I like it cos it does good food and good beer. Packed to the rafters with dancing people - including in the upstairs bar I didn't know about - at midnight last night.

aIMAG4763.jpg

Beer garden of Larkin's bar, Newland Ave. One of my favourite places in the area.

aIMAG4771.jpg

I have no recollection of taking this picture on Spring Bank, but my phone tells me I did it at something like 445 this morning. So that'll be when I finally staggered out of the Star and Garter, then. :D

Prolly not.

I woke up in Piccadilly Gardens (per revamp, when it was like a park) like that a few times on a Sunday morning. :oops:

I'll take your park bench in Piccadilly Gardens and raise you a BT phone box.

It seemed a sensible option at the time, when I was stranded in Leeds city centre in the early hours with no cash to get a cab home. Of course, I was very very drunk. Not recommended. :oops:

Right Throbbing Angel, before I go through the new pics I took this afternoon, we need to settle this pub question.

I've been back and took photos of the back of the buildings, and one does indeed have metal stairs! So here are the pics:

White pub (called the Edinburgh Castle I now know). No stairs.

630.jpg

And the Smith's Arms. Stairs!

Although these are at the side of the pub.

631.jpg

So was this on the telly then or what? :hmm: :p

A very mundane Parker Street bus station in Piccadilly Gardens. A truly soulless place, and the Berlin Wall is presumably designed to shield the gardens behind from the bus and tram stations.

But in truth, the wall just makes it even more ugly! I would have thought councils would have learnt by now that bare concrete structures are not sensible with our maritime climate as they look wet and depressing most of the year. They have tried to pretty it up by stringing fairy lights along the top. Like that's going to work! :D

632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom