Mundane pictures of the North

Some more from today:

2r7tsom.jpg

fe3qzm.jpg

2i8gppw.jpg

359ejgi.jpg

3028ggo.jpg

m8iph2.jpg

I know the Spar on Piccadilly used to bouncer restricting the number of people who can go in late at night. I have seen the plastic screens in a few places though, regardless of how "rough" it is (Chorlton is well documented as an affluent area other than the Merseybank and Nell Lane/Arrowfield Road estates), my local (and expensive, so I go to Asda or Aldi instead) offy in Hulme has them, as does the A&S in Withington (again, hardly the roughest part of Manchester).

Quite a few places have security, including places you wouldn't expect, even in the city centre. Mancunians are obviously habitual crims. Tut tut - a hotbed of criminality! I'm not a native, so of course am a law-abiding citizen. :p

57 Thomas st if you fancy it mate. I'm waering a camoflage blazer and an Andy Warhol tshirt x

I know where that is, but I think I should stay in given I've had a skinfull already. Don't want to be chucked out after staggering around!

If you out and about another time just let me know. :)

Anyone ever been to Rochdale? It looks like a right shithole.

Might have to pay a visit next week.

I worked there years ago - absolute dump. Nice town hall as has been said. But not much else going for it sadly. But they do now have the tram line so have a way out to civilisation! :D

Where's Fez909? He'll know the highlights (and lowlights) of the Boro. :)

:D

I'm a little estranged from Middlesbrough these days but I think I could still muster up a tour of the less shit parts of town. Or the more mundane parts, if that's the aim :)

And party shops are nothing new, nor representative of boro these days. There's a few decent-ish food places opened recently (the last 5 years) which have moved it into the 90s, at least.

There's now an Ahkbar's* which seems to be the height of sophistication in the town, to go with its new modern art gallery and sculptures :cool:

*It closes down every now and then when immigration do their checks and half the staff get deported.

I worked there years ago - absolute dump. Nice town hall as has been said. But not much else going for it sadly. But they do now have the tram line so have a way out to civilisation! :D

I've only ever been to Rochdale bus station, but the town itself can't have a lot going for it as even McDonald's closed their only branch in town a few years ago. Not a good sign :hmm:

Has anyone else had the experience of trying to explain to a southerner what a barm cake is? They look all confused (bless them!), and seem to struggle with the concept of bread being called cake. You can up the ante by mentioning a pasty barm. That totally throws the poor dears. :D

Same goes for dinnertime. I've always called it that - 'lunch' does not exist in my vocabulary, except in the phrases 'luncheon meat' and 'luncheon vouchers'. I do enjoy saying that I'm free for a meeting after dinner - cue a confused look wondering why you've offered to meet them in the evening after work. :D

I said to a kid at school the other afternoon, 'what are you having for your dinner?'
Cue confused look and 'we've already had it, Miss, can't you remember?':oops:

Which part of Mancs is the Jewish community based in? Not long until it takes over London as the biggest Orthodox community in the UK I hear.

Can I make a request Leeds dwellers/workers... a pic of the Yorkshire Post Building (well old Yorkshire post building now) Clock. Whenever we drive up north seeing that is the point I feel I am home :oops: ....even though there is still about an hour until we reach the Dales!!

Plus it is a pretty grim building :D

That's a magnificent building! :cool:

That's the back of the town hall, and it is a gorgeous building. Grade I listed as you'd expect. The building on the left, connected via a 1st floor bridge, is the town hall extension (grade II*) - I posted a pic earlier of two red phone boxes which was taken with this as the backdrop.

And next to that is the central library (Grade II*), and these three make up what they call the civic core of the city. A very nice part of town, with lots of nice Victorian buildings around them.

I've not got any pictures showing the main frontage myself*, so here are the Wikipedia pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Town_Hall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Town_Hall_Extension

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Central_Library

The clock 'bongs' the hour really nicely too - I can hear it from my flat if the wind is in the right direction. :)

*edit to add - dug through my photos and found some of the town hall, extension and library, and here they are. Mundane enough for people who live here, so qualify I think.

235.jpg

231.jpg

265.jpg
233.jpg

232.jpg

234.jpg

Can I make a request Leeds dwellers/workers... a pic of the Yorkshire Post Building (well old Yorkshire post building now) Clock. Whenever we drive up north seeing that is the point I feel I am home :oops: ....even though there is still about an hour until we reach the Dales!!

i'm having a mundane photopgraphy scamper today. was going to try focus on hyde park christmas, but will ask if we can take a detour :)

I'm going to bob out too in a bit, but not sure if I'll take many pics, as my legs are a bit achy after all my trekking. This last week or so I've clocked up around 20 miles taking mundane pictures - I'm chronically unfit and it is showing! :D

I'll see what I can do :)

Back
Top Bottom