Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Motorway vs dual carriageway lane widths?

Had a driving lesson today and was on the A1 for a while around Barnet, Arkley, Borehamwood - I think between Bignells Corner and Stirling Corner. There was a sign warning of 'narrow lanes' and indeed my left hand / slow lane did seem narrow, especially when artics came zooming past me :D Having said that, it is getting easier ... I reckon a good deal of my 'lane discipline' anxiety was down to steering too far away from the kerb - today I moved a bit more to the left and kept well within my lane.
I'm enjoying the higher speeds now and at times struggled to stay under 30 when we went back into urban areas. All good fun.

I made a bit of a hash when joining the Stirling Corner roundabout and wanted another go, but the instructor was reluctant to use up more fuel, so kept us in 30mph zones for the rest of the lesson :(

From your posts scalyboy I am guessing you live in a relatively urban or semi-urban area?

If so, you should count yourself lucky you only have to contend with narrow-ish dual carriageways and you’re not in, say, deepest Cornwall or plenty of other similar areas, where m-ways or even dual carriageway A-roads are nowhere in the vicinity, and mad country lanes with an ever madder 50 mph limit are the norm.

That’s a thought, actually… If you live in a proper rural area where single-lane roads abound, are learning drivers requested to complete at least one overtaking manoeuvre on a single lane road as part of their training/ exam, just as everyone is expected to perform certain other manoeuvres such as parallel parking or an emergency stop?

I can’t even remember if I had to when I did mine in Spain but then I lived in a busy city. But I still remember the sense of dread the first few times I overtook other vehicles on single lane roads as a newly qualified driver :D

From your posts scalyboy I am guessing you live in a relatively urban or semi-urban area?

If so, you should count yourself lucky you only have to contend with narrow-ish dual carriageways and you’re not in, say, deepest Cornwall or plenty of other similar areas, where m-ways or even dual carriageway A-roads are nowhere in the vicinity, and mad country lanes with an ever madder 50 mph limit are the norm.

That’s a thought, actually… If you live in a proper rural area where single-lane roads abound, are learning drivers requested to complete at least one overtaking manoeuvre on a single lane road as part of their training/ exam, just as everyone is expected to perform certain other manoeuvres such as parallel parking or an emergency stop?

I can’t even remember if I had to when I did mine in Spain but then I lived in a busy city. But I still remember the sense of dread the first few times I overtook other vehicles on single lane roads as a newly qualified driver :D
Yes, I'm in North London, but in Barnet on the edge, so often get out into the 'country', on one of our routes is a national speed limit single-lane road; in fact I was on this one today and stuck to 40mph... it seemed crazy to go faster as it was so twisty and turny.

Was talking to someone at work yesterday, she was recalling country lanes and being overtaken by cars doing 60-70... I guess the thing is, locals know where the bends and junctions are...Actually I want more practice on such country roads as one of my main reasons for learning is so I can get out into rural areas of Britain...

Nothing wrong with not overtaking at all unless you’re extra sure and have given yourself ample extra room to complete it. Whereas I don’t like crawling traffic of course, I have no issue having to travel at 42- 45 mph on a 50 mph road behind a car towing a caravan for as long as it takes (which is never that long anyway).

I’ve been driving for 30 years competently and confidently but still perform all single lane overtakes with an extra cautious approach and giving myself more distance/ time than strictly required.

We have single lane roads out Surrey way though not as bad as the ones in Dorset/Cornwall/Devon Etc. However because of my "dislike" of them, the Institute of Advanced Motorists kept taking me out down them :rolleyes:
It can be unnerving and intimidating for some drivers as can many situations on the roads. I have little problem with someone inches from my bumpber when I stick close to 20 in a 20 limit and the other driver seems
to think it is 30. I know one of my poor neighbours gets very intimidated and upset by this.

It can be unnerving and intimidating for some drivers as can many situations on the roads. I have little problem with someone inches from my bumpber when I stick close to 20 in a 20 limit and the other driver seems
to think it is 30. I know one of my poor neighbours gets very intimidated and upset by this.
Yes, I've experienced this. Generally not a problem round here as they can overtake, but I will adhere to the speed limit even if it appears to be a road where you could go faster. I try to ignore impatient drivers hooting me if I know I'm not doing anything wrong. Recently I was on a 40 or 50 road behind a group of cyclists - they weren't doing anything wrong either, but I was finding it tricky to overtake them while giving them enough space - bends in the road, traffic islands, oncoming traffic - there just didn't seem to be the right moment. A few cars behind me but I couldn't tell if they were beeping me or the cyclists!

Back
Top Bottom