Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Modern stereophonic music player

They do look interesting but I was actually thinking of trying to make a couple of my existing downstairs wired speakers wireless. I don't particularly like having wires going everywhere but may just be able to get away with them.
hmm, technically thats impossible: your speakers need power and that can only come from an amp via a wire
But a compromise workaround may be possible.
You can buy a mini amp +bluetooth receiver all-in-one unit, like this
which would still be wired but could sit very very close to the speaker - on top of it in fact.

that is designed to run a pair of speakers though, so whilst one cable could be very very short, the length of the back of the miniamp to the port at the back of the speaker, it would need at least one cable running from the miniamp to the other speaker.
Can you picture that?

Last edited:
Another annoying question - how do I tell what frequency my recordings are sampled at? I looked at properties of the individual files but it doesn't seem to be given. I've ripped stuff that I already had on CD from everywhere so don't know. I suppose I could tell from the file size and recording length but that seems a bit of a faff. In a way it doesn't hugely matter since if it sounds ok to me (I don't have that good an ear) then it's good enough.

THis is easy, there are lots of ways.
To look at mp3s in a winodws folder:

1. OPen the folder with the mp3s you want to know about
2.. From the View tab, choose Details

win1.png

3. Hover the mouse over the top of the bar where it says on this example Name # Title Contributing Artists, then right click.
It brings up a list of different Details that can be shown about the file. Choose Bit Rate

bitrate.png

Thats how to do it in a folder view, but there are other ways too.
To do it on just one file, right click on it > Properties > Details and there's a Bit Rate section.

Also a good MP3 player should show it whenever it plays one.
I use Winamp and AIMP < both do that as a matter of course

Much simpler to plug in some wires though. Might be a luddite, but the old technology works well enough for me.
Both can be simple tbf, and if your source is a portable item like a laptop then bluetooth makes particular sense.

And depending on the room I can see why people want to hide wires, though there are also nice coloured wires you can buy and make a feature of them . I like the way golden speaker wire looks, for example, but it comes in any colour nowadays, and its not expensive
19829R10-med.jpg

To eliminate wires fully and for ease of use/compatibility then a single manufacturer multi room set up is probably the best option but unlikely to be the cheapest.
I bought into the Audiopro system based on the reviews of the Addon C10 and have not been disappointed. I can add to it as and when to create a bigger system.

hmm, technically thats impossible: your speakers need power and that can only come from an amp via a wire
of course :facepalm:

I had a pair of Russian Rigonda speakers in the early 70s which might have worked because they had an amplifier built into the top of each speaker. I was sad to see them go.

Nice idea with the coloured wires. I'll take a look at that. I had intended to sink speaker wires into the wall when I had some mains wiring done but forgot :facepalm: again.

Thanks for all the advice :)

of course :facepalm:

I had a pair of Russian Rigonda speakers in the early 70s which might have worked because they had an amplifier built into the top of each speaker. I was sad to see them go.

Nice idea with the coloured wires. I'll take a look at that. I had intended to sink speaker wires into the wall when I had some mains wiring done but forgot :facepalm: again.

Thanks for all the advice :)
love all this stuff so dont hesitate to ask more

you could post what you have with photos of the room + a budget and you could give me something to do as opposed to doing some work :)

love all this stuff so dont hesitate to ask more

you could post what you have with photos of the room + a budget and you could give me something to do as opposed to doing some work :)
It works. :D

I bought two of these: 2in1 Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Audio Transmitter Receiver HIFI MP3 Adapter RCA AUX | eBay. They've laid round the place for a couple of months because I couldn't work out how to use them (they had to be charged up first :oops: and needed to be plugged into the line out socket rather than the output socket of the controller to the amp I was using :oops: ). Works lovely, now using Bluetooth to connect my computer amp to my Technics system and it sounds really nice for under £14.

Just in time because I'd just decided to listen through to all my CDs so I could rip them and sell the CDs, some of which I've never actually listened to because ... you know ... you buy three or four because they're on offer and ... :oops: . Starting off with old Blues and Soul and Jazz :) . And actually using playlists for the first time, never bothered before.

Ta ska invita and all, help appreciated. And sorry, I was a bit pissed when I started the thread that night so thought I'd need a completely new modern stereophonic music player, didn't realize that I could use the Technics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom