Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommendation Modern stereophonic music player

two sheds

Least noticed poster 2007
I want it loud (no neighbours) and good quality because it’s going to be loud, and I want to hear it.

I did have a Logitech system which was very nice but not quite loud enough and too many speakers (eight?) to connect up which is just excessive. Bass speaker plus two at the most three others.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I want it loud (no neighbours) and good quality because it’s going to be loud, and I want to hear it.

I did have a Logitech system which was very nice but not quite loud enough and too many speakers (eight?) to connect up which is just excessive. Bass speaker plus two at the most three others.

Any thoughts?
How do you intend to run it? From an amp or direct streaming from computer?
Amps and stuff I can’t make a recommendation but I have a few Audiopro C10 (mk1) dotted around and they sound fab. Really want to get the sub but they almost don’t need it so I reckon with it, it will be incredible!

Need more information but agree with others saying a decent amp and pair of speakers will do the job. Depends on budget.

If budget is flexible...

Some of my friends are big on sound systems, and are young enough that it's all about the subwoofers, etc. There were tunes being played in my flat, and someone went "where's the subwoofer?". I told him to look for it :), and he slowly came to the realisation that there wasn't one. He was quite impressed that my modest-looking living room speakers were able to deliver what they did without needing one.

Gale 4's, btw. £30 off a mate in about 2000.

Ta all, I shall go off and take a look at them, particularly the first ones which fall just inside my budget :thumbs:

I was thinking a couple of hundred quid but might go louder.

How do you intend to run it? From an amp or direct streaming from computer?
Amps and stuff I can’t make a recommendation but I have a few Audiopro C10 (mk1) dotted around and they sound fab. Really want to get the sub but they almost don’t need it so I reckon with it, it will be incredible!

was thinking of direct from puter, wireless speakers look nice idea though.

was thinking of direct from puter, wireless speakers look nice idea though.
Depending on what you‘re into. Bluetooth is a massive bottle neck if you’re going for lossless audio because of the data transfer rate. I know I’m going to flamed to fuck for that comment but say it i must and say it i will.

the question here - I assume :) - is what bit rate you'd have to be streaming for it to make a difference?

the question here - I assume :) - is what bit rate you'd have to be streaming for it to make a difference?

Pretty certain we have that thread on bitrate vs audio quality here already.

My memory is that 192Kbps is the most versatile/efficient - above that and human ears can’t resolve the extra data.

Depending on what you‘re into. Bluetooth is a massive bottle neck if you’re going for lossless audio because of the data transfer rate. I know I’m going to flamed to fuck for that comment but say it i must and say it i will.
You can bluetooth stream lossless now if you want
You would most likely need a little APTX-HD enabled USB dongle for the source (computer) and a receiver with the necessary codec protocol
Ive investigated it and written it up here:
...and have it running at home :thumbs:

*thread should really be called Bluetooth Home Speakers Recommendations and probably not be in the computer forum! I think theres been a thread on this not that long ago....

That's really interesting ska - two of these plus your dongle for example?

Would love to get rid of speaker wires.
you only need the one dongle + one receiver
ive got the receiver sending a cable into an amp though, and the speakers are wired

in your case ideally you would do away with the receiver completely - you would just need the dongle at the laptop end and then a pair of active speakers that are APTX HD enabled

However there seem to no APTX HD enabled bluetooth speakers on the market yet! Its new technology...though many are APTX enabled - thats still over 320kbps and IMO plenty plenty good enough - unnoticeable loss.

Here are some:

I would be very happy with that set up!!

Theres only one downside: because you are going direct from Computer Source to Speaker theres no way to integrate an EQ < I think EQ's are essential. At least an amp has a bass and treble on it. A multi band EQ is even better. A flat/neutral signal might sound alright, but EQd to the room and your tastes can be the difference between alright and amazing.

MP3 players like Winamp have a digital EQ option, maybe some soundcards even do? I dont know. Just did a google and maybe there are options?

Well worth thinking about

ETA: You still need a dongle to send APTX - thats already a codec above what most computer bluetooth is capable of

Last edited:
Just had a bit of a search with no joy. Is there a cheap way of connecting a dongle type transmitter to two mono receivers on wired speakers so you can get rid of speaker cables? Either wifi or bluetooth or anything else?

To make it even better, the owner, Mr Richer, has given the company to the employees.

I bought a lot of kit from them at one point, excellent value.

Just had a bit of a search with no joy. Is there a cheap way of connecting a dongle type transmitter to two mono receivers on wired speakers so you can get rid of speaker cables? Either wifi or bluetooth or anything else?
Are you over complicating this? Buy and amp with blu tooth and some wired speakers or buy an all in one unit like:

these are the kind of speakers you need i think
hifi bluetooth active speakers - no amp needed, just send straight to them
(with extra dongle if you want to increase the quality a bit)

anything in your price range? maybe find a model you like and check for 2nd hand online

these are the kind of speakers you need i think
hifi bluetooth active speakers - no amp needed, just send straight to them
(with extra dongle if you want to increase the quality a bit)

anything in your price range? maybe find a model you like and check for 2nd hand online
They do look interesting but I was actually thinking of trying to make a couple of my existing downstairs wired speakers wireless. I don't particularly like having wires going everywhere but may just be able to get away with them.

Another annoying question - how do I tell what frequency my recordings are sampled at? I looked at properties of the individual files but it doesn't seem to be given. I've ripped stuff that I already had on CD from everywhere so don't know. I suppose I could tell from the file size and recording length but that seems a bit of a faff. In a way it doesn't hugely matter since if it sounds ok to me (I don't have that good an ear) then it's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom