Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Minnie's Gardeners' Question Time - help for the new gardeners

Minnie_the_Minx

someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox
I'm sure there must be other new gardeners who aren't sure what they're doing, or buying plants because they're pretty and having no idea what they've bought, so feel free to ask on this thread, and hopefully the more experienced gardeners will answer your question.

Today I bought two new tiny plants from the 99p shop.

I have absolutely no idea what they are.

Unidentified 1.jpg

Unidentified 2.jpg

I don't know what the top one is but the bottom one is an African Violet (don't know the proper name, no good with houseplants). The main thing I know about that is that the leaves hate getting water on them and you shouldn't over water it.

LOL!!!!! I haven't got a clue, well I say that. the top one reminds me of a rubber plant but variagated. My first thought about the bottom one was a money plant but i don't think it is, it looks familiar but I can't think what it's called

I don't know what the top one is but the bottom one is an African Violet (don't know the proper name, no good with houseplants). The main thing I know about that is that the leaves hate getting water on them and you shouldn't over water it.

Ah, I thought that bottom one might be an indoors plant. The leaves had that delicate velvety look about them. It's currently sitting outside and was sprayed tonight when I was misting my ferns.

Oops :oops::D

that's the one

Ah, I've found it. It's Saintpaulia ionantha. Apparently these bugs like it: Aphids , Caterpillars , Mealybugs , Tarsonemid mites , Thrips

Hm, may rapidly go off this particular plant, as I don't want any indoor plants. Reserving the space for when I have to bring the others indoors in the winter.

LOL!!!!! I haven't got a clue, well I say that. the top one reminds me of a rubber plant but variagated. My first thought about the bottom one was a money plant but i don't think it is, it looks familiar but I can't think what it's called

Shall have to do some investigation for the leafy one I think

Ah, I've found it. It's Saintpaulia ionantha. Apparently these bugs like it: Aphids , Caterpillars , Mealybugs , Tarsonemid mites , Thrips

Hm, may rapidly go off this particular plant, as I don't want any indoor plants. Reserving the space for when I have to bring the others indoors in the winter.

Ive had plant-killing levels of thrips, but they didnt seem to bother the AV much, if at all. Its a very tough plant imo, just sits behind the curtain years and gets forgotten about. Water it from the bottom.

Doesnt really 'do' anything though, just looks the same year in, year out. I like things i can grow.

I reckon this is going to be my most successful thread ever

I still have a general feeling that my 'what is this bush / tree / plant' thread, stickied by Mrs M at the top of this forum, may prove my most successful slow-burner :D

If anyone ever finds it :( Rather than starting their own :(

I'd guess the top one is a houseplant too, don't know what it is.

I can't grow African violets, I kill them, they're supposed to be easy but I just can't get on with them :confused:

I still have a general feeling that my 'what is this bush / tree / plant' thread, stickied by Mrs M at the top of this forum, may prove my most successful slow-burner :D

If anyone ever finds it :( Rather than starting their own :(

ah sorry, thought that was a thread specifically for your one particular bush/tree/plant rather than any old plants. Didn't want to hijack it.

Ive had plant-killing levels of thrips, but they didnt seem to bother the AV much, if at all. Its a very tough plant imo, just sits behind the curtain years and gets forgotten about. Water it from the bottom.

Doesnt really 'do' anything though, just looks the same year in, year out. I like things i can grow.

Sounds very boring :(

I'd guess the top one is a houseplant too, don't know what it is.

I can't grow African violets, I kill them, they're supposed to be easy but I just can't get on with them :confused:

Maybe I'll accidentally kill it just so I can bin it ;)

I might take a pic of my streptocarpus for you, I have the same trouble with them. Same family.

There is a plant id like to get for our garden but cant remember what it is called & dont want to waste time trawling round garden centres hoping just to see one or even trying to describe it as id be embarassed. It is a peculiarly alien looking plant. The leaves look like little tongues that are made of a wine gummy type material & are deep purpley/black colour. The stem is a quite bright colour. Anyone?

I dont think so, hungover maybe. I think i may have found it though. Its an Aeonium – ‘Zwartkop

aeonium%20zwartkop%20CRP.jpg

although it's not what you wanted minnie I am after some house plants for my office so I might get along to the 99p shop

I dont think so, hungover maybe. I think i may have found it though. Its an Aeonium – ‘Zwartkop

aeonium%20zwartkop%20CRP.jpg

I saw one of those yesterday in a tropical garden. Very lovely in situ.

My daughter was given a small olive. What shall I do with it? I could Google, but this is more sociable ;) Its about a foot tall so only a baby. In a tiny pot.

My daughter was given a small olive. What shall I do with it? I could Google, but this is more sociable ;) Its about a foot tall so only a baby. In a tiny pot.

See if she can make it nice and bendy

twisted_olive_tree_gift_1.jpg

Don't let it get frosted, probably best to keep it inside over winter, apart from that no idea! :)

Ooh I like bendy!

I just noticed I said she was given a small olive! Olive tree dammit!!! :D

Thanks for inside tip geminisnake....I will pop back in tomorrow to see if anything else comes

Where can I find rooting powder in or around Brixton please?

I think it's called that. I want to try to see if I can grow a New Guinea Impatiens

you don't need rooting powder for impatiens, Minnie, but if you are bothered, then you could always make your own with some bits of willow made into a tea. Just boil a few willow twigs and soak the impatiens stems for a minute in the cold tea.

Back
Top Bottom