Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

That's a copy and paste email Brockwell Live send to people if you complain. I've got the attached as a reply. Screen Shot 2024-05-31 at 15.11.04.png

Last edited:
It has been confirmed that Mighty Hoopla is going ahead.

I think it's the right decision, and hopefully they can minimise the damage to grass and soil, but I will be pissed off if they cancel the Country Show.

Of course they are going to cancel the Country Show. Weather doesn't look like it's going to improve between now and then ....

Definitely more likely than Mighty Hoopla as they don’t have any ticket income ftom the Country Show
These are my exact thoughts. Similarly to Brixton Bounce they won’t have to refund tickets for cancelling* and won’t piss off a private company who they want to come back.

*though presumably they’d have to refund traders who have bought pitches?

Will all this come back next year after this absolute mudbath? I’m sure there was a park that refused Tough Mudder returning because it fucked up the park so much (which tbf is more predictable in its muddiness).

Will all this come back next year after this absolute mudbath? I’m sure there was a park that refused Tough Mudder returning because it fucked up the park so much (which tbf is more predictable in its muddiness).
Finsbury Park - tough mudder last year & after the outrage The council have said never again.
But still happy to host live music at Wireless etc.

It’s bit of a different situation in that TM were deliberately churning up the ground to make it muddy. It hadn’t even been raining that week.
Unlike these music events where the mud is an unfortunate side effect and (in theory) they put in mitigations to prevent or reduce that.

Well it’s predicted to be dry today and tomorrow. The wood chip layer pics look alarming though. Less chips more chunks with reportedly the odd nail. All laid on TOP of a membrane. So, the ground won’t be drying out underneath. If this is left on until the de rig, the grass will be entirely dead.img_1_1717236415640.jpg

Genuine question: Lambeth is huge with many parks, to maintain the revenue and vibe , why can't they use a different park every year so the grounds have time to recover?

I’d be amazed if it doesn’t happen. The Regent is hosting an official after show party on Sunday night, 10-3am. That should go down well with the neighbours!!
Is this one of those situations where F agrees to do it and then at 10pm comes down and says its too loud and its over?!

Is this one of those situations where F agrees to do it and then at 10pm comes down and says its too loud and its over?!
Ticketed event apparently with security. It’s for the acts only so I wonder if you’ll see Rita Ora nursing a pint of Landlord

I'm not sure Lambeth would be able to handle the fury if they cancelled the Country Show.
They’d just direct phone callers to leave a recorded message and fail to reply to any email complaints, and wait for the whole thing to die down :(

Feels like En Vogue are live in my front room right now. Incredibly clear and punchy sound. They’re not my thing, but it sounds like they’re putting on a cracking show.

Feels like En Vogue are live in my front room right now. Incredibly clear and punchy sound. They’re not my thing, but it sounds like they’re putting on a cracking show.
The volume of Nelly Furtado’s set keeps going up and down. I’m 0.8miles away and can sing along. This reminds me of last year when I was singing along to Kelly rowland and Natasha Bedingfield in my kitchen.

The volume of Nelly Furtado’s set keeps going up and down. I’m 0.8miles away and can sing along. This reminds me of last year when I was singing along to Kelly rowland and Natasha Bedingfield in my kitchen.
I’m 0.5 miles from the main stage. Nelly is coming over loud and clear!

I've never been to Mighty Hoopla, but I've heard a few times in the past that it tends to be noticeably louder than the other events. I'm glad of that for the sake of the people who've paid good money to be there, but I wonder why? Is it becuase pop music is much less reliant on bass?

I think I’ve read that there is sheeting under the wood chip. It should make it a lot easier to lift. I don’t think they could leave that amount of wood sitting on the grass indefinitely.

I think I’ve read that there is sheeting under the wood chip. It should make it a lot easier to lift. I don’t think they could leave that amount of wood sitting on the grass indefinitely.
That makes more sense. It will be interesting to see how they do choose to replace the grass quickly as when this happens in our garden, it becomes overrun by weeds!

That makes more sense. It will be interesting to see how they do choose to replace the grass quickly as when this happens in our garden, it becomes overrun by weeds!
Yeah, I’ve let the kids put the tent up for a night and it seems to have a really bad effect on the garden.

But the wood chip could be sucked up into a lorry, or brushed into piles and disposed of when there’s a sheet beneath.

Looks like they did a great job. To be honest, as veteran of some very wet Glastonbury years, even the previous weekend didn't look that bad. The ground survives, the grass comes back. Most of the mud is usually actually above the grass. Hyde Park has both its summer festival series (when the ground might be wet) and the Winterwonderland thing (when it's pretty much guaranteed to be wet. It's reinstated, it survives.

I don't get the increasing negativity about the Brockwell Park festivals. They've always happened in some form, I bet they're a lot better run now than they were in the 80's/90's. They take a chunk of space, but the sports facilities are still available, the joggers can still run round the perimeter, theres more than enough space for people to have their dogs shit all over the place.

Park festivals are one of the great things about living in London - a day of live music, hopefully in the sun, and you can sleep in your own bed and use public transport (or a bike) to get there. If it's in Brixton it's a walk. I didn't go to any of this years but I've been to a few in the past. I'm going to one of the APE gigs in Victoria Park (which presumably gets the same sort of Nimbyism up there). Doing the festivals in one chunk with a single setup/breakdown seems better than the previous way with multiple set/up breakdowns.

The Academy/Fridge and parks were a big part of what brought me to Brixton and keeps me here. they've always happened, so the people now outraged by them knew about them when they came. It's like people moving in next to a pub and complaining about the noise.

The one thing that still looks deficient is dealing with parking - I saw pics of cars parked on pavements all over the place from last weekend.

Looks like they did a great job. To be honest, as veteran of some very wet Glastonbury years, even the previous weekend didn't look that bad. The ground survives, the grass comes back. Most of the mud is usually actually above the grass. Hyde Park has both its summer festival series (when the ground might be wet) and the Winterwonderland thing (when it's pretty much guaranteed to be wet. It's reinstated, it survives.

I don't get the increasing negativity about the Brockwell Park festivals. They've always happened in some form, I bet they're a lot better run now than they were in the 80's/90's. They take a chunk of space, but the sports facilities are still available, the joggers can still run round the perimeter, theres more than enough space for people to have their dogs shit all over the place.

Park festivals are one of the great things about living in London - a day of live music, hopefully in the sun, and you can sleep in your own bed and use public transport (or a bike) to get there. If it's in Brixton it's a walk. I didn't go to any of this years but I've been to a few in the past. I'm going to one of the APE gigs in Victoria Park (which presumably gets the same sort of Nimbyism up there). Doing the festivals in one chunk with a single setup/breakdown seems better than the previous way with multiple set/up breakdowns.

The Academy/Fridge and parks were a big part of what brought me to Brixton and keeps me here. they've always happened, so the people now outraged by them knew about them when they came. It's like people moving in next to a pub and complaining about the noise.

The one thing that still looks deficient is dealing with parking - I saw pics of cars parked on pavements all over the place from last weekend.
I think that the festivals are great, and it was amazing to go to Wide Awake and be home in 15 minutes. But am I naive in thinking that it doesn't need to be as expensive as it is?

We are the owners of the park and I feel lots of local people couldn't stretch to the costs of the festivals which were put on. I have a job which pays me enough to live comfortably, but I couldn't afford more than one day.

I know that top artists need top money, but I decided late to go to Wide Awake, having been invited by a mate, and paid over £70 for a ticket, once fees were added. It was £7.50 for a pint in a cup that was made of paper so I couldn't see was half foam by the time I was well away from the front of the queue. I guess I saved a few quid on pints by buying no more of them. Even water was £3. Could the council not ensure there is food and drink on sale at reasonable prices?

Yes, the Country Show is free to enter, and usually has a great music programme, but, again, it seems to me that of the many changes to the Country Show in the past few years, none have reduced the price of going.

I'd say those who went to the anti racism concerts in the 90s with the likes of the Levellers had no idea how good they had it.

I think that the festivals are great, and it was amazing to go to Wide Awake and be home in 15 minutes. But am I naive in thinking that it doesn't need to be as expensive as it is?

We are the owners of the park and I feel lots of local people couldn't stretch to the costs of the festivals which were put on. I have a job which pays me enough to live comfortably, but I couldn't afford more than one day.

I know that top artists need top money, but I decided late to go to Wide Awake, having been invited by a mate, and paid over £70 for a ticket, once fees were added. It was £7.50 for a pint in a cup that was made of paper so I couldn't see was half foam by the time I was well away from the front of the queue. I guess I saved a few quid on pints by buying no more of them. Even water was £3. Could the council not ensure there is food and drink on sale at reasonable prices?

Yes, the Country Show is free to enter, and usually has a great music programme, but, again, it seems to me that of the many changes to the Country Show in the past few years, none have reduced the price of going.

I'd say those who went to the anti racism concerts in the 90s with the likes of the Levellers had no idea how good they had it.
Agreed. Apart from the Levellers and having it good.

Back
Top Bottom