Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mexico City

klang

klang
Hi all,

any must-do's or must-don't's in Mexico City in September?

Will be there for about 10 days, will be working so not that much time for endless travelling, but wouldn't mind getting in the essentials and skipping the crap.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Might be the rainy season iirc.

Must Do:

The anthropology museum

Coyoacan at the weekend (Trotskys house, museum of popular culture, Frida's house etc.)

El Chopo punk market on a Saturday.

Wrestling

Street food

Argentinian food

Football (Pumas, America or Cruz Azul)

Cantinas in the centre

Boat trip around Xochimilco.

Trip out of town to the Pyramids

Trip to the mountains

...oh there's a ton of stuff.

I lived there for four years and wasn't bored for a moment.

Might be the rainy season iirc.

Must Do:

Coyoacan at the weekend (Trotskys house, museum of popular culture, Frida's house etc.)

Cantinas in the centre

Boat trip around Xochimilco.

Trip out of town to the Pyramids

Trip to the mountains

thanks Chilango, that's what I had in mind....
I'm contemplating going for a bit longer, like 2 weeks and a bit, and spend some time outside Mexico City......mountains etc.

Will have to see if I can get time off and if I can afford it....

Hi all,

any must-do's or must-don't's in Mexico City in September?

Will be there for about 10 days, will be working so not that much time for endless travelling, but wouldn't mind getting in the essentials and skipping the crap.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Think twice about travelling to Mexico...I live in a racist shithole city,a lot of the "Nacos" are telling their kids that all foreigners are Gringos and ALL Gringos are perverts that are a danger to their kids and women. They say "cuidado Gringo" in front of your face or just shout "Gringo" to warn each other and the women say "gracias" for the warning.Ive had the bus driver warning the women as they get on the bus thats theres a Gringo aboard,in Wallmart the Staff warn each other, every time I step out of the door theres an incident. A combination of racist,brain dead and weird people make Mexico very unpleasant !

Fwiw I was hardly ever referred to as a gringo. That term was largely reserved for a certain type of American.

I was called güero from time to time. But that term had far less intent behind it.

Unlike naco, which is a nasty sneering term.

Mexico is a big, diverse place, I guess. I was there about a decade ago and went to Mexico City and Oaxaca. Also experienced nothing but helpfulness and kindness from people. Maybe it's different further north?

Or maybe Steve - Davis is an unsavoury character.
I've only heard good things about Mexico and that it is really friendly.
Steve- Davis If it's so shit why do you continue to be there?

Haven't been but niece is just back from spending a year at university there (Guadalajara) and loved it, and my best mate, who is extremely well travelled, has it down as his favourite country in the world and has been four or five times.

So I reckon on going soon too. Someone mentioned a rainy season. What's July/August like (too hot? tho' I like hot).

I spent 4 weeks in Mexico at the end of last year visiting lots of places including 5 days in Mexico City and it's probably in my top 5 favourite countries in the world. The places and people were amazing everywhere I went. Not that I went to any "shithole cities" (in my opinion of course), but perhaps Steve- Davies has had a unique experience for whatever reason, or maybe he lives in an area where pervert Gringos are a problem?

planetgeli it depends so much where you go- big country with almost all the climates iyswim. Will be cooler at altitudes, I was shocked by how frigging freezing Mexico City could be in Feb but down in Yucatan it's pretty much all tropical all the time AFAIK....

Back
Top Bottom