Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

solo European City break

I also did another to bruge/Brussels/Ghent in September.

Thinking of January / February recommendations now please :)
Malaga/Marbella not too cold, not too hot this time of year. It's about 20 today. Also there's not so many tourists about so you can relax and wander at your leisure. Or Granada if you want a mix. There's skiing etc in the Sierra Nevada, and there's the coast nearby. The city is nice too.

Centre yourself in Nimes, easy train trips to Avignon, Montpellier, Sete, and Le Grau-du-Roi truly an amazing area all the centres are walkable, accommodation is reasonable.

Eurostar direct St Pancras to Avignon.

We had two glorious weeks in the summer - would highly recommend.

im here now, nursing a slight hangover after getting in last night. straight to the currwurst stand and then washed it down with shots of vodka and a stack of erdingers. was still going in the earlz hours. and smoking in the pübs. bliss.

wöö höö..

cant believe the bloody weather. it should be minus ten or so this time of year but its like a spring day. last night was seriously mild too . im off to treptower later to see the statues again. wont be the same if the winters not proper soviet style. still....im in facking berlin wit me berlin mates and its great . :D:D

I also did another to bruge/Brussels/Ghent in September.

Thinking of January / February recommendations now please :)
Me and the other half are going to Vienna next month with a little trip to Bratislava. Looking forward to it and will let you know how we get on.

We also went to Hamburg recently with a day trip to Lübeck. Hamburg was nice, did a boat trip around the port. Lübeck was really pretty though, much smaller than Hamburg.

I think going to a bigger place but getting away and visiting nearby places is a sensible plan and gives good rewards! Have had no issues what so ever with European train travel so far. Double decker trains, wooo

im here now, nursing a slight hangover after getting in last night. straight to the currwurst stand and then washed it down with shots of vodka and a stack of erdingers. was still going in the earlz hours. and smoking in the pübs. bliss.

wöö höö..

cant believe the bloody weather. it should be minus ten or so this time of year but its like a spring day. last night was seriously mild too . im off to treptower later to see the statues again. wont be the same if the winters not proper soviet style. still....im in facking berlin wit me berlin mates and its great . :D:D

Some years back in Berlin it was really col and snowing - we were killing time (mate and me) after blitzing Dresden , steam railways etc - so we went for a walk down to the Soviet war memorial near the Brandenburg Gate. The T34 tanks were nicely sprinkled with snow and some (poignant) red roses - so mulling around in the freezing cold , we get approached by this elderly couple who asked in pidgin German if we spoke Russian. Replied in pidigin (Welsh German) - no - but turned out his old man was a WW2 Russian soldier (RIP) - who was looking for Treptower ark. Got map out and pointed him to the U- Bahn / S- Bahn as quickest way - he communicated he would walk (about 4 miles in freezing winter darkness) - but he insisted on giving his a swig of rocket fuel- probably real Russian Vodka and gave him the map. Hard core that I reckon. A great experience and my first and only evermeet with a real Russian. Hope he made it. Said to my mate he would - if his old chap could fight his way to Berlin in 1944 / 45 - he would certainly manage that....

Has anyone been to riga on their own? After having been looking for ages for a trip for about £250 easter weekend, riga's the nearest I can find money wise..... about £310 (I can do it a bit cheaper, but I'd rather hire a small apartment than stay with someone else).

Went to Riga by myself a few years ago on a whim, I did go into several random bars and chat with people while drinking excellent beer and vodka, it was really friendly and everyone speaks English. I stayed in a hostel right in the centre but with a room to myself and an ensuite bathroom, but with the option to go and mingle downstairs if I wanted. I chose not to though and would probably do airbnb if I went back.

Back
Top Bottom