Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Meteor? Space rubbish? What fell near the Hebrides last evening? 14/09/22

Most likely a slow, natural meteor. Looked like (the light curve implied) it shed quite a lot of material on the way in but that's probably mostly in the sea now.

Definitely not the Starlink satellite - totally wrong orbital geometry and timing for the observations made*. Also looked like it was moving too fast for a re-entry from low Earth orbit.

Starlink-4653 orbital nadir track, 21:39:15UTC, 14Sep2022. AMS fireball observations and estimated trajectory.
* The only suitable candidates would be a small number of retrograde polar satellites - eg Earth resources such as Seesat 1, ERS 1 (perhaps debris thereof) or one of (or something, a sub-payload perhaps, originally associated with one of) the Topaz/FIA radar spysats. But I would still lean towards space rock on account of the apparent angular motion.

e2a: Also the last entry prediction for Starlink-4653 (and the only one anywhere close to the time of the fireball event and not subsequently established to still be in orbit) was for 14Sep2022 at 0038UTC ± 47 minutes. Another [failed] Starlink satellite from the same launch was expected to enter several hours later (on 15Sep) but that was recorded, still in orbit, after the observed fireball.

Last edited:
Most likely a slow, natural meteor. Looked like (the light curve implied) it shed quite a lot of material on the way in but that's probably mostly in the sea now.

Definitely not the Starlink satellite - totally wrong orbital geometry for the observations made*. Also looked like it was moving too fast for a re-entry from low Earth orbit.

* The only suitable candidates would be a small number of retrograde polar satellites - eg Earth resources such as Seesat 1, ERS 1 (perhaps debris) or one of (or something, a sub-payload perhaps, originally associated with one of) the Topaz/FIA radar spysats. But I would still lean towards space rock on account of the apparent angular motion.
Or it was a sign from God about the Queen's death. Meteor indeed. :rolleyes:

Has anyone gone blind yet?

I fear it’s Brenda’s comrades picking her up for the next stage of her universal overlord training

Back
Top Bottom