Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

mental health and sick leave

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
So some of you might be aware that I've struggled with anxiety for a long time and about a month ago I hit a sudden peak and had to see my GP. The upshot of that was being prescribed 20mg of citalopram a day, which can take up to 6 weeks to have full effect (and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone). I'm on week 5 now and it's not making much difference, certainly not helping me go about life as normal. The GP said after 8 weeks, if it's not working, he'd probably up the dose.

My work situation is that I have to do 2 days a week in the office and 3 at home. Up to about 4 weeks in, work were okay and have allowed me to work from home FT. But since HR got involved I've been forced into the binary decision of either resuming normal work pattern or taking sick leave. As of Friday I've been on sick leave, which I don't want to be and I think it's a potential disaster for my employer given staff cover over the summer.

Surely it would be reasonable to let me work from home for longer, at least while trying to get the medication sorted? Anyone have experience of this? I am in a union, so might approach them about it.

I have no advice as this isn't an area I am well versed in - are you in a union and does your workplace have union recognition/agreements?

I am sure others will be along to give detailed advice, but I just want to say What Absolute Fuckers.

Dunno really.

the equalities act has a concept of 'reasonable adjustments' in a workplace for someone with a disability or long term health condition, but think that 'long term' means lasting for - or possibly be expected to last for - 12 months or more. (someone more up to date with these things may be able to clarify this bit.)

i don't know what you do (and don't expect you to go in to detail here) but some jobs are easier than others to do remotely. if you've been working from home full time recently, it's probably not that difficult - but is their argument that you're not able to do your normal job as effectively by working from home and because of that it's causing a problem, e.g. other people having to pick up bits of work that you're not there to do?

or are they just pissed off because you're breaching some arbitrary policy?

some employers will try and find 'light duties' work for someone that's got a health problem that stops them doing their normal job (e.g. someone who's broken their leg might be found something they can do that doesn't involve standing up) but in some cases that just isn't practical, and some employers won't and will say that person has got to go on sick leave.

are you aware of any similar cases at your workplace? do they have any specific policies / procedures round people being not able to do their normal job but fit to do some / alternative work?

part of me is thinking bollocks to them and go off sick, but are they then going to wheel out 'capability' procedures because you've gone off sick?

would agree that talking to your union is probably best - it may be that local rep needs to refer this up to branch / region or whatever (referring stuff up when you don't know the answer is a skill that not all union reps / stewards have, though) - they will know policies, procedures and precedent at your employer / workplace.

hope you get both the medication and the work related crap sorted out soon.

If you worked for me I'd totally give you that flexibility Johnny Vodka, and hope you get things sorted. This is arguably an issue where you can ask for a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act to allow you to settle on the right drug/dose, and your employer should allow this. Its reasonable by definition as MH issues can be long-lasting, especially as you say you've suffered from anxiety for a long time.

Have you been open with them about your history of anxiety? If yes, they have a legal duty to consider a reasonable adjustment, and if they refuse, to explain why.

As fbm says!!

Do you have copies of your work sickness policies? Also look to see if there is any flexible working policy.

I would hope that if likely (hopefully) a temporary situation and no specific serious impact to you being able to do your job they could accommodate more WFH while you deal with this.

Has this been suggested at all?

Surely it would be reasonable to let me work from home for longer, at least while trying to get the medication sorted? Anyone have experience of this? I am in a union, so might approach them about it.
Your work are obliged to make reasonable changes for the sake of employees health. I hope they do the right thing for you.

Might also be an idea to speak to your GP when my asthma has been bad I've been given fit notes that have the workplace adaptions box ticked and home working written in.

So some of you might be aware that I've struggled with anxiety for a long time and about a month ago I hit a sudden peak and had to see my GP. The upshot of that was being prescribed 20mg of citalopram a day, which can take up to 6 weeks to have full effect (and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone). I'm on week 5 now and it's not making much difference, certainly not helping me go about life as normal. The GP said after 8 weeks, if it's not working, he'd probably up the dose.

My work situation is that I have to do 2 days a week in the office and 3 at home. Up to about 4 weeks in, work were okay and have allowed me to work from home FT. But since HR got involved I've been forced into the binary decision of either resuming normal work pattern or taking sick leave. As of Friday I've been on sick leave, which I don't want to be and I think it's a potential disaster for my employer given staff cover over the summer.

Can't recall the dose (was quite some time ago) but imho, it's down to how the individual reacts to the medication. I found it useless and it slowed me down and made me feel adrift from everything.

But, as said, the suitability will vary from person to person. Liaise with your GP and keep note of the pros and cons you find while on your course.

Hopefully it will make a difference.

It might be that your wish to continue working is anxiety related.

It is reasonable to request adjustments, but it's also your employer's duty to make sure that you don't become more unwell.

Your GP is very cautious, it might be worth pressing to increase around week 6.

Speak to your union rep to see what they say, but it may well be worth speaking to your OH provider (or asking for HR to refer you to them, whatever the process is) to see what they recommend.

Think about what a 'reasonable adjustment' may look like for you - what would help support you to do your job? Is it WFH with OH support until you feel you've stabilised? Is it being able to work from home on a part-time schedule for a while, using sick leave on a couple of days each week?

I'm sorry your anxiety is like this right now. I'm always happy to chat over PM about anxiety any time, as a fellow sufferer.

Thinking of you x

Thanks equationgirl

I e-mailed my line manager today with the Union's response. I'm hoping it can be sorted just with the Union's recommendation that WFH is a reasonable adjustment, but there's also the possibility of getting my GP (think they can confirm my situation and WFH in a "fit note") or OH involved. I've been given the link to OH but no-one has told me to make an appointment.

Thanks equationgirl

I e-mailed my line manager today with the Union's response. I'm hoping it can be sorted just with the Union's recommendation that WFH is a reasonable adjustment, but there's also the possibility of getting my GP (think they can confirm my situation and WFH in a "fit note") or OH involved. I've been given the link to OH but no-one has told me to make an appointment.
I did find my OH involvement very helpful the two times I had to do it for my former glorious employer, OH were very supportive in their reports and the second time were openly horrified at some of what I was being subjected to.

I admit it was gratifying during the tribunal when it was pointed out they then ignored the report from OH (the OH appointment they insisted I have by the way) and they openly admitted, yes, they did ignore it.

So see how you get on but honestly I thought they were very evidence based and not biased - being compliant with their process and transparent with how my diagnosed affected me definitely helped a lot.

They will ask for access to information from your GP based on your medical records. You can give full consent to everything but you can also give a consent limited to certain things only - for example I limited to my spinal arthritis, chronic kidney disease and chronic pain, and anxiety, because my former glorious employer did not need to know my contraceptive choices. There may be things you want to exclude your employer from knowing.

Back
Top Bottom