Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

marx's capital: question

have you...

• Total voters
People shouldn't worry about not reading it. I'd guess that most people here subscribe to the theory of evolution, yet few will have read Darwin's On the Origin of Species. Likewise many will contend that the Sun does not orbit the Earth but vice versa, yet few will have read Copernicus's De revolutionibus orbium coelestium.

People often say the early chapters are confusing, but they were quite interesting on value and surplus value.

There's some quite 'of their time' attitudes in the writing. It's eurocentic; I dare any modern writer to refer to 'asiatics'. I struggled with the antisemitism, with him making several references to Jews in a way that would see him thrown straight out of the Labour Party. For example:

The sum of the values in circulation can clearly not be augmented by any change in their distribution, any more than the quantity of the precious metals in a country by a Jew selling a Queen Anne's farthing for a guinea.

:hmm:

He sometimes refers to other people's opinions expecting the reader to know what they are. He spends most of the chapter on 'the colonies' answering Wakefield's views, but I haven't got a clue who Wakefield was or what he said.

The best bit for me was the section on the historical origins of capitalism. That's a powerhouse bit of history writing. Shame it stops in the mid 19thC, I'm sure he'd have an interesting take on what's happened since.

Literally got in on my mother's (and father's) knee*...

Personally I think it's not problem if people haven't read it; but it is funny when people make big statements about how 'Marx got it a wrong' or 'is out of date' and obviously have neither read it or understood the concepts and analysis they are challenging. It's a bit like flat earthers...

(* I really would not recommend this, it's a large part of why i am a wanky reformist...)

Did a Capital reading group reasonably recently, took us 2 years meeting fortnightly. Don't think I would have got through it without that. Would do another tbh, Urban75 Capital reading group anyone?
I'm in a Quaker bookgroup and we meet twice a month. We are currently reading the Bible chapter by chapter book by book and have been since I joined in about 2013. We took a bit of a break after finishing the New Testament and read a book about dying by agnostic former bishop, Richard Holloway, and some stuff about Jesus by Terry Eagleton, and considered reading the Qur'an, but in the end we decided to go for the Hebrew Bible. When we finish which will be around 2026, I shall suggest Capital, Finnegan's Wake or a reconsideration of the Qur'an.

I'm in a Quaker bookgroup and we meet twice a month. We are currently reading the Bible chapter by chapter book by book and have been since I joined in about 2013. We took a bit of a break after finishing the New Testament and read a book about dying by agnostic former bishop, Richard Holloway, and some stuff about Jesus by Terry Eagleton, and considered reading the Qur'an, but in the end we decided to go for the Hebrew Bible. When we finish which will be around 2026, I shall suggest Capital, Finnegan's Wake or a reconsideration of the Qur'an.
Doesn't if take longer if you all have to sit around for ages waiting to be moved before you can start reading? :)

only read this - was hard enough tbh - seemed pretty comprehensive
zero chance with the real one

Back
Top Bottom