Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Making your own kefir

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Anyone else make their own kefir?

I started recently after a friend gave me some grains. It's really easy, and I've been feeling great since I've started drinking it. More energy and more positive.
Wasn't sure about the fizzy taste at first, but soon got used to it.

Yes - I do this. Good way of keeping your microbiome in good nick. I like a clean fizzy taste, which I get from allowing most of the fermentation to happen in the fridge. Can get a bit too funky if left in a warm place too long...

Yeah but mostly just get mine off a housemate who does her own.

She just gave ne so really nice stuff made from apple juice. Tastes a bit like cider.

Do water stuff at home but buy milk stuff now and again.

I make mine with oat milk.

I didn't realise you could make it with liquids other than milk.

I got a kit recently and have been trying to make kefir but I don't think it's working. I received dried grains, which apparently take longer to re-activate.

I've been adding 100ml of milk each day and leaving it for 24hrs, with a stir around halfway through. The milk has started to change slightly, but it's not nice. It smells like soured milk, and I just tasted a bit and it was rank. Vinegary and thin.

Do I just need to wait longer (more days of doing the 100ml refresh)? How long should I wait before I dump the grains and get some new ones?

Also, I think my house might just be too cold? Everything I've read says 20C is ideal, but we have the thermostat set to 18 so it's literally never that warm. I've started putting it in the cupboard under the stairs where the boiler is, so it's a bit warmer, I guess. No idea if it ever reaches 20C, though.

I got a kit recently and have been trying to make kefir but I don't think it's working. I received dried grains, which apparently take longer to re-activate.

I've been adding 100ml of milk each day and leaving it for 24hrs, with a stir around halfway through. The milk has started to change slightly, but it's not nice. It smells like soured milk, and I just tasted a bit and it was rank. Vinegary and thin.

Do I just need to wait longer (more days of doing the 100ml refresh)? How long should I wait before I dump the grains and get some new ones?

Also, I think my house might just be too cold? Everything I've read says 20C is ideal, but we have the thermostat set to 18 so it's literally never that warm. I've started putting it in the cupboard under the stairs where the boiler is, so it's a bit warmer, I guess. No idea if it ever reaches 20C, though.
It sounds like it's not working. What sort of milk are you using? Should be at least 4% fat.

It sounds like it's not working. What sort of milk are you using? Should be at least 4% fat.
"blue top", full fat milk. Not sure of the fat content. Will go check now.

I might order some proper grains, too. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom