Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Making your own custard

miss direct

misfungled
I've made an apple and berry crumble for tonight but don't have any custard.

I do have milk, eggs, vanilla sugar (I know) and usual cupboard ingredients. All the custard recipes I've looked up ask for vanilla pods, cornflour or other things I don't have. Any ideas of a very simple, foolproof "custard" sort of thing I could put together?

I feel rotten and really want my crumble with custard.

PS I don't feel well so can't go out.
PPS You can't buy custard in Turkey anyway.

I've made an apple and berry crumble for tonight but don't have any custard.

I do have milk, eggs, vanilla sugar (I know) and usual cupboard ingredients. All the custard recipes I've looked up ask for vanilla pods, cornflour or other things I don't have. Any ideas of a very simple, foolproof "custard" sort of thing I could put together?

I feel rotten and really want my crumble with custard.

PS I don't feel well so can't go out.
PPS You can't buy custard in Turkey anyway.
chuck in the vanilla sugar and maybe put a shot of rum in the cook if not in the custard

You can make a decent (if thin) custard with egg yolk, milk, vanilla and sugar...but, as a Birds Instant eater, I tend to add a spoonful of cornflower to a homemade custard, just to help create that luscious thick creaminess which never happens with a true egg custard.
The cornflower also seems to act as a sort of buffer which helps to prevent the egg yolk setting (and separating) in a true custard (no matter how carefully you heat it over water or in double boilers). Stretches further too...as a two egg custard really only makes about a quarter pint (and less when it has been through a sieve).
If you don't have cornflour, rice flour or even plain white will do - just give it a good thrashing to get the lumps out in a bit of milk and sieve it before adding to warm egg, vanilla and milk mix).

Back
Top Bottom