Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Major fire at waste depot on Shakespeare Road, Brixton, Friday 8th Sept 2023

Not a Vet

are we nearly there yet?
Norris recycling centre caught fire in the middle of the night. We back onto it and were woken by the fire brigade’s response. 15 engines and over 100 firefighters tackling it. Still burning

Sounds like it's been burning all night -

Planning permission was granted for the site to be converted to residential a couple of years back. I thought the hold up was relocation of the waste site to somewhere else but it seems to have changed companies in the meantime (it was 'Norris Waste' until last year when 'Urbin house clearance' took it over)

Definitely wasn't burning at 1AM, or at least there wasn't any visible smoke/flames.

Surprised I didn't hear anything considering my windows and doors were wide open to let the cool night air in.

Talking to firefighters tonight, it’s still going but they’ve had to withdraw as the building is about to collapse. Will be on scene all night with remote hoses. It’s actually noiser than last night

The smell and other effects of the fire have arrived on Brixton Hill.

Acrid sore throat and instant headache.

Is the fire out?
We're getting it on Tulse Hill too. Just started, I put my head outside in case it was a fire nearby. Can't close the windows as way too hot. Must've been awful in HH and LJ the last couple of days.

The smell and other effects of the fire have arrived on Brixton Hill.

Acrid sore throat and instant headache.

Is the fire out?
There's still loads of stinky smoke in the air at 4am

P9100584.jpg

There seemed to be an incident last night at LJ round midnight. Flashing blue lights up near the junction of Coldharbour Lane and Shakespeare Road - but might not be that, There were fire engines at the hydrant there in the morning presumably connected to the Shakespeare Road fire.

All bus routes were diverted - ie P4, 35, 345, 45 all going via Brixton and NOT Gresham Road/Coldharbour Lane.
No alerts on TFL - and indeed the only way passengers at Gresham Rd Brixton Police Stn realised anything was wrong was the 345s turming to Brixton instead of coming across from Stockwell Road to Gresham Rd (the 45s were doing a loop in the manner of a 109 also).

Anyone know anything?

slightly less smoke as of now, there was a couple of firefighters in one of those high craddle thing surveying it 2 minutes ago.
I can see a great big pile of whatever was in there about 2 storey high through the holes they cut in the roof and a burnt out plant, I guess the rest of the building is filled with more piles of "stuff" still smouldering and other plants.

Wind has changed direction and smoke not coming towards Brockwell park now. Pleased to be able to open our windows again.

Some one know who lived very near to the site was moving house on Friday morning. The last night in the house was not the peaceful good bye to his home of 37 years anyone would wish for. :(

He said 'I left home today amidst the chaos of a massive fire raging all day through what’s left of the waste disposal warehouses across the road with five fire engines, six police cars etc!'

saw the blue lights from afar while getting home, doubt it was to do with the fire as no blue lights at this end.
I've just been down there. There is a fire engine completely blocking Coldharbour Lane at the junction with Loughborough Park and Shakespeare Road.
There is a hydrant up outside the barbers on Coldharbour Lane with 2 hoses connected.
Loads of Fire brigade types standing around - though not in traditional uniform.
Cars are clearly not being told not to come down the road - they just drive up to the fire engine, then generally do a 3 point turn & revert towards Brixton.
At the Green Man corner there is a police car blocking the Brixton-bound side of the road.
Might try pictures. Still no notification of the TFL website. They ought to close it down ands save some money!
Meanwhile Helen Hayes put this up earlier

This blockade has obviously been in place for at least the last 15 hours - maybe longer.
Buses P4, 35,45 and 345 cut off from Brixton to Loughborough Junction.
Yet apparently no traffic management and no information on TFL website or affected bus stops.
straddled.JPGpolice barrier.JPGstraddled 2.JPGpipes.JPGfill her up.JPG

Back
Top Bottom