Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maggi Hambling Brixton Heron

Do you like the sculpture?

• Just about bearable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I loathe it. Smash it to pieces!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I usually come home a different way home through Brixton but I pass it between 7:30 and 8:00 am on my way to work.

I like it, but it's absolutely nothing like a heron. Maybe she got her birds mixed up?

I like Hamble's work a lot.
Sadly, she's not worked much since her Playschool heyday.

hamblefh3.jpg

I think it's great for Brixton to have an artwork by an internationally recognised artist who also has local connections. And within this Public Art project for Brixton there are other (funding starved) local artists, established and emerging - more work is in progress, with poetry by Will Self, for example, and I forget what else. I know this because I took part in the consultation - perhaps those of you decrying it missed this? It was a feature of several public meetings, and widely advertised around Brixton networks. Go to more public meetings! Also, as far as I know, the money came through Regen, not the Arts budget, so the emerging and established artists of Brixton and elsewhere are getting more opportunities through it.

I like the heron, and I like Maggi Hambling - and as a sculpture that will hopefully last for years and years, I am happy that my council tax has contributed to it. I'd like more Public Art - another heron in Brockwell Park? And how fantastic would a Henry Moore or Barbara Hepworth look in the Lido? I love the Barbara Hepworths in Dulwich Park.

Trouble is, most Brixton folks I've mentioned the Heron thing to have no idea it's there. I haven't a problem with public art mind, but this is in a terrible location.

As for publicising the decision process, the people behind it could have considered posting it here. After all, we're #3 in Google for Brixton.

Trouble is, most Brixton folks I've mentioned the Heron thing to have no idea it's there. I haven't a problem with public art mind, but this is in a terrible location.

I reckon a good place for it would be on top of that pathetic fountain in the new square. The fountain's barely noticeable anyway so a heron plonked on top of it might make it more noticeable :D

Trophies

I think it's great for Brixton...internationally recognised artist...Will Self...Maggi Hambling...Henry Moore...Barbara Hepworth...

Lambeth Arts should be making more effort to encourage up and coming artists in this borough. Without that, these public works are mere trophies of other people's success.

I shall cease and desist now :)

The previous thread, I note, was quickly deleted...am I allowed to ask if that was deleted by mods or by the OP?

Posters do not have the ability to disappear threads, administrators do. When peoples addresses and letters start getting posted up and possible legal issues raise their scaly heads it's the people who run this free non-profit board in their free time on a voluntary basis who are legally liable. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

ETA...and I have no idea, nor any wish to know or be informed about the rights and wrongs of that whole issue.

it's the people who run this free non-profit board in their free time on a voluntary basis who are legally liable.
Ooh, that's fair enough then, thanks for the clarification. I thought that, as I posted it, and you have my IP logged, it would be on my head, not the board's - in a 'the views of the poster do not refelct the views of the board' kinda thing.

Aaaaanyway, what a nice heron we've got :D

My grandmother always told me to look up at the skyline when going anywhere. Lots of people don't. This is why the Maggi Hambling weathervane is being missed by so many people. The Brixton area has some amazing things on the skyline. For instance, how many people have seen the giant cats and beautiful chess piece chimney pots on top of the mansion flats near Myatts Field?

My grandmother always told me to look up at the skyline when going anywhere. Lots of people don't. This is why the Maggi Hambling weathervane is being missed by so many people. The Brixton area has some amazing things on the skyline. For instance, how many people have seen the giant cats and beautiful chess piece chimney pots on top of the mansion flats near Myatts Field?

I have. Always wondered what they're about though

Do you tread in a lot of dog shit Mrs M?

Lambeth Arts should be making more effort to encourage up and coming artists in this borough. Without that, these public works are mere trophies of other people's success.

And like I said, the money came from Regen, not Arts, the heron is part of a whole range of artworks that will go up in due course - at least some of which are from emerging artists. It's one piece - why shouldn't the public benefit for the work of established artists within their community? Why should the work of the 'great' artists be kept apart in central locations, institutions with 'National' or 'Royal' in front of them? And where will Lambeth artists go once established as 'great' if OTHER town centres turn them back at the city limits as 'trophy' artists?

Isn't the art being put on shutters largely by Lambeth artists? Agreed, Zineb Sidera is hardly emerging, but she is a Brixton artist.

And Lambeth Arts have supported emerging artists for years. Do you remember the early work of Yinka Shobinare and Sonia Boyce at London Printoworks? Do you go to the Gasworks and 198 Galleries to see emerging artists?

Can we celebrate great artists without carping? (Though herons like nothing better than a carp)

Her life was saved by this artist....

12993w_matthewsmith_peaches_1937_oiloncanvas.jpg

Matthew Smith.
She fell into a pond and was drowning and he dived in and saved her

FFS I honestly don't see how anyone can miss the Brixton heron unless they walk round with bloody great big blinkers on.

Philanthropic Huguenot family called Minet (French diminutive for cat)

Not for years. I don't charge along looking up. Like WH Davies said
"What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare."

Yeah, I think I've read about the philanthropist somewhere (possibly here).

I tend to get in and out of Brixton High Road as fast as possible so don't tend to stand and stare

Back
Top Bottom