Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maggi Hambling Brixton Heron

Do you like the sculpture?

• Just about bearable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I loathe it. Smash it to pieces!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The woman seems nice enough, and I'm happy to see more artwork going up around Brixton, but it's not the most attractive thing I've ever seen on top of a building.

Not sure what herons have got to do with Brixton either.

I once mistook a Heron for a Terradactyl :cool:

Maybe that's what I did as well then. I remember when I was in America over 30 years ago seeing something that looked like a Pteradactyl but knew they no longer existed but had no idea what it was, so maybe it was a heron. :D

it's shit. it looks shit. like some tatty, oversized garden ornament. and it looks fuck all like a heron, not in an abstract way but in a 'kingfisher gone wrong' way.

if it cost more than three hundred quid then the residents of lambeth have been ripped off.

it's shit. it looks shit. like some tatty, oversized garden ornament. and it looks fuck all like a heron, not in an abstract way but in a 'kingfisher gone wrong' way.

if it cost more than three hundred quid then the residents of lambeth have been ripped off.

I agree that it looks more like a kingfisher

maggi-hambling-brixton-heron.jpg

kingfisher700.jpg

I reckon it's the hairstyle

...deriding the amount of money being spent...

You misunderstand me. My question is how arts money should be spent in the the borough?

Personally I would suggest that opportunities for emerging Lambeth artists would be more deserving than money given to an already well established artist.

and it would have been better made out of stainless steel with contrasting blacked mild steel bits and a brass beak. cheap cunts.

also i would have put stained glass inserts into the fish.

and i would have it posed like this,

images

or this,

images

with the feet trailing in water, represented by little stylized waves, instead of a poxy log.

also i would make it sort of three dimensional with the body perpendicular to the wings/tail.

Actually Minnie that is a pretty astute observation. This weather vane looks to be a "re-mix" of Maggi Hambling's 1994 aquatint Heron (ardea cinerea) produced for a portfolio 9 London Birds rather than a 3D sculptural weathervane.

295e.jpg

I think a 3D one would be much nicer. If your main view is the angle posted in Editor's pictures, then quite frankly, I don't care for it much.

However, as I haven't even seen it yet, I'll shut up for now

The cost of the Heron...

...care of www.whatdotheyknow.com

Total £30,754

Costs included:
Fabrication £15,000 (built in Suffolk)
Maggi Hambling's fee £6,500 (half price apparently)
Installation £6,754
Lambeth staffing costs £0 (how does that work?)

rip off. nearly seven grand for installation? two blokes, half a day, four bits of studding, four nuts and washers and a tube of resin.

and it would have been better made out of stainless steel with contrasting blacked mild steel bits and a brass beak. cheap cunts.

also i would have put stained glass inserts into the fish.

and i would have it posed like this,

images

or this,

images

with the feet trailing in water, represented by little stylized waves, instead of a poxy log.

also i would make it sort of three dimensional with the body perpendicular to the wings/tail.

That would have looked bostin old pal.

Like our "Mining Mon" or Zandra Rhodes "Pegasus" in Dudley!

Well, I have always loved Maggi Hambling's work and I'm really pleased to have something of hers in Brixton. She's an amazing artist. I love this too.

Was anyone actually asked if they wanted this rather ugly weathervane in the first place?

You may be a fan of this woman's work but it doesn't do much for me and its location means that most people won't even see where their money has gone.

Well, it brings cheer to me every time I pass it, which is usually first thing in the morning on my way to work.

I don't think it's ugly, i think it's a pretty good weathervane and I like Hamble's work a lot. You're right about the position though, I had no idea it was there until I read this thread and I must pass it at least five times a week

I have to admit to forgetting to look up to see it too. I'm going to pop down now and take a look actually since I'm losing my fireworks and I'm feeling a bit gloomy...

Back
Top Bottom