Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Low interest rates on savings

As selling shares incur commission fees and dividends don't, I disapprove of companies doing this.
But you (or your fund) will pay 15% withholding tax on dividends from US based stocks, which will generally be more than any commission

Last edited:
Always. I’m always considering it. But remember that for every opinion piece about an imminent crash, there’s one saying it’s all about to climb high. And vice versa. At the end of the day, the market price is the average of all those opinions. I’d definitely have done worse over the years by taking money out every time I thought a crash was coming, even though sometimes I was actually right. As they saying goes, I’ve predicted 5 of the last 2 crashes.

Not sure. Goal is to buy a house this year but depending on what I can stretch to I may leave all or some of my HL investments (1/3 of my savings) where it is.

Do you have anything invested in companies that could fold in a crash?

Do you need capital in the short term?

Is anyone considering moving their investments to try and avoid the worst of a crash? I've been feeling for a while one is inevitable but I don't know enough about the market to know where to move to. But today I read this: Let the Wild Rumpus Begin which seems to have some sensible arguments.
How soon do you need your investments?

Unless you need them in the next couple of years or you're an investment superstar, then it's almost certainly the best decision to keep them where they are.

Well I've swapped my regular US & FTSE drip investment to Japan & emerging markets and left everything else alone. So hedged my bets a bit really. Let you know in five years how it all turned out 🤣. I don't generally fiddle with it but it was getting a bit US/UK centric so I don't think diversification is a bad thing.

Been looking at my f-i-l accounts, he’s getting about 1% on his savings of about 110k. It’s appalling, but he’s always trusted his bank to give him a decent return. Luckily his income doesn’t depend on this.

i just looked and my vanguard account now has less money than when i put the money into it in the first place (2.5% less). It was up about 8% last time i looked i think, some months back.
Am glad to notice that i dont feel any sort of big emotional reaction about this, dunno if that serenity would hold if it was half of it gone though.

That's pretty good from a bank, he's lucky he's not getting 0.01%
Not only is it pretty good, it's better than the best-in-market for an easy access saver. To be getting 1%, I'm guessing it's for a notice or fixed rate account over 1+ year, as there's no other way to get more than about 0.8%, unless you start including bonus rates for new customers. Perhaps it's a legacy account for long standing customers, which isn't being advertised anywhere.

i just looked and my vanguard account now has less money than when i put the money into it in the first place (2.5% less). It was up about 8% last time i looked i think, some months back.
Am glad to notice that i dont feel any sort of big emotional reaction about this, dunno if that serenity would hold if it was half of it gone though.
If you can, keep investing a little each month, so you are buying when the market is “cheap”, not just in the good times.
86D1EBE7-4EF8-49FF-BFF6-F56C778D04A6.jpeg

With inflation going up, Bank of England already putting interest rates up...surely our friendly banks will pass this on?

Given today’s bounce, it might shortly be back in the black

1646839010439.png

Not only is it pretty good, it's better than the best-in-market for an easy access saver. To be getting 1%, I'm guessing it's for a notice or fixed rate account over 1+ year, as there's no other way to get more than about 0.8%, unless you start including bonus rates for new customers. Perhaps it's a legacy account for long standing customers, which isn't being advertised anywhere.

I think savings over a certain amount get higher interest rates

I’ve lost the gains I made on my ISA and it’s now worth less than when I put the money in 11 months ago, cheers Putin!

On cash rates Marcus (Goldman Sachs saving product) have raised their interest rate today.

I’ll be so much happier when all this is converted back into bricks and mortar. It’s just another bloody thing to consider.

Yeah - my rate of return from my Vanguard ISA opened last April is -18.77% overall. The Lifestyle 60% fund is a particularly bad performer being down 14.90%

So is now a good time to buy?
If I knew that, I’d be doing somewhat better on my choices to date than is the case!

Now is a good time to buy if things pan out better than the average expectation, but a bad time if things pan out worse. If Putin suddenly decides to exit Ukraine, pay reparations and support Ukraine’s application to NATO then it will have been a great time to have bought. On the other hand, if somebody breathes wrong and it’s ICBM time all round then (aside from the fact that none of us will care about share prices at that point) it will have been a terrible time to have bought. In situations like these, it comes down to how optimistic you are…

I'd say if it's a good time if you are looking to invest for your retirement some years away.
There's bargains to be had. Companies priced low because of the conflict that should, with time, recover.

Warnings:
Short term volitility.
Your capital is at risk.
Lehman Brothers.
Your stock won't be worth shit in the post nuclear apocalyptic wasteland.

Optimistic view:
Good time to jump on the ladder.

Pesimistic view.
Invest in a bunker, canned goods and survival supplies.

Back
Top Bottom