Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Looking for a place in West London - what are ex-council flats on West London estates like to live in?

We're looking to move back to West London as the in-laws are getting on a bit and with failing health they need us to be closer for emergencies.

We've been looking at places online and the rents are.... well, you know. So we noticed that ex-council flats on estates are a cheaper option. They look very nice in the website photos, far nicer than the grotty council flat I grew up in, but what is it actually like to live there these days?

Did you have any specific area in mind? I'm not an authority on ex-council - though I believe you'll get more space for your money. But also consider the types of property that people have invested in purely for the commuter rental potential and are now having to lower prices as people have been leaving London/working from home.

And of course never offer the asking price.

I guess what we're asking is are we likely to find much anti-social behaviour on council estates where properties have been bought up and done up?

I guess what we're asking is are we likely to find much anti-social behaviour on council estates where properties have been bought up and done up?
I'd hazard a guess that well over 50% of flats on council estates are still council tenancies, the cost of RTB in London & the reduction in the discount has made it unaffordable. Difficult to know if this means that asb is 50% less , as the people who cause the most asb are less likely to be able to afford to buy & move away.

Short answer: yes. There is still a huge amount of poverty in Central London, which inevitably affects people in social housing more, and sadly poverty goes hand in hand with crime. Does this mean I wouldn't live there? No. And of course you're not immune just cos you're round the corner in a 1 million pound flat. The posher the area, the greater extent it will have been gentrified into oblivion

ASB can be a problem anywhere, not just on council estates.

For example, as mentioned in another thread, there can be problems in areas with a high proportion of student housing.

It's really the luck of the draw. Ask the estate agent to ask the property owner what their experiences have been (and/or what their tenants experiences have been if they're a landlord who's been renting it out). They're legally obliged to disclose anything like antisocial behaviour and/or disputes with neighbours, so they should say if there are any problems.

I live on a small estate in Manchester, which passed from the council through stock transfer and is now owned by a housing association. Nearly half the flats have been bought under Right to Buy, so there's a real mix of social housing tenants, leaseholders, and private tenants.

For the most part, it's great a nice community, some people get involved in community events and activities, some people keep themselves to themselves.

Much depends on who your immediate neighbours are, though. Some people were unlucky and lived next to a woman who used to drink a lot and pass out in a stupor while playing really loud music. Some people have lived next to tenants whose antisocial behaviour related to drink and/or drugs and/mental health issues, loud music, shouting, people coming and going loudly at all hours of the day and night. We've had some ASB issues on the estate with cuckooing and dealing, and the noise nuisance has affected those living in the immediate vicinity.

Or then again, some people have lived in small blocks where there's been no problems whatsoever and they've lived there happily for decades.

If you're concerned about personal safety when out and about in the neighbourhood, I feel safe, generally speaking. I know some other people, residents or people passing through the estate, have been mugged for phones over the years. But that can happen anywhere. Tends to happen more around fresher's week, because we live on the fringe of the university area, and crime goes up then as the ne'erdowells rob from the students who've just spent their student loan on a new iPhone, but that doesn't just happen here, but also in the wider neighbourhood and particularly in the more studenty areas.

People's experiences are individual aren't can't really be extrapolated. Just because someone else had a good or bad experience, doesn't mean you will, iyswim.

I've had a bit of a nightmare with my downstairs neighbour, ASB and harassment, but other neighbours are fine.

You could try to find out if there's a tenants association for the estate, say you're thinking of buying and ask them what they think, not just about that flat, whether the neighbours are okay, but also about their experiences with the council/housing association landlord dealing with any problems, repairs, etc. I mean, as a leaseholder, you'd be responsible for inside your flat, but they'd still be responsible for the communal areas and exterior, dealing with any ASB, etc. Is the tenants association active? Do they apply for grants and raise funds for things like gardening projects, wellbeing stuff, events and activities? It helps if there are enough people who actively care about their local community.

Good answer, thank you! :)
We'll be renting so totally not committed to anything really long term. We're just a bit understandably worried about moving into a rough area or next door to problem neighbours cos we've had similar problems in the past. But yeah, it's a bit of an unanswerable question really but we thought we'd ask. Thanks again! Some good stuff to think about and try, there. :)

Do your due diligence, try looking up the name of the estate on the Evening Standard or other local news sites, see what stories come up.

Go there if you can, wander around, at different times of day and night.

You can live next to antisocial dickheads in posh areas too. I lived in a lovely Edwardian villa with a bf years ago, in a very desirable part of Cheshire, neighbour on one side was lovely, the guy on the other side was a selfish noisy twat.

Don’t live opposite a pub, no matter where you’re living. Peoples pissed up arguments last thing are hilarious until you’ve got somewhere to be early the next day.

Back
Top Bottom