Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

Recommendations invited. There are no tourists, everywhere will be a lot less busy than normal, I have wangled the weekend off work. What gallery or museum do I hit first?

Recommendations invited. There are no tourists, everywhere will be a lot less busy than normal, I have wangled the weekend off work. What gallery or museum do I hit first?

I miss the BM but not sure how well I'd handle the long circuit route they've got open, I like meandering and loitering and doubling back to much.

If you like Egypt Petrie museum is open and if you like bone the Grant Museum is open, both are much smaller and could probably do with the support. Alas the Hunterian is shut till 2023 so no fun with cadavers.

Last edited:
Upper At Martin's Lane? We went there two+ years ago. I don't get it. That was my first choice for Monday because of its proximity to Marriage Freres and Waterloo. I couldn't get a table. Tell daughter it's not the best Dishoom. Both carnaby st and Kensington both have a better feel :D

Noted - she was well pleased in any case.

I've got a ticket to the history of chintz exhibition at the Fashion and Textile Museum but I appreciate this may not be everyone's bag.

I think we're going to get another 4 to 6 week period of commercial property owning types screeching about people working from home being communist scum who should be taxed through the eyeballs and all the money raised given to them, followed by the government piling in with similar messages for the final 10 days or so before we go into the 3rd lockdown, B.1.617 flavour.
Is it that time of year already?

Check before you go but i think most places you have to book a ticket/time slot before you go. I believe the free places are still free just need to book in advance

Check before you go but i think most places you have to book a ticket/time slot before you go. I believe the free places are still free just need to book in advance
This is true, also lots of places you would ordinarily wander round free range have a strict one way system which I'm not keen on. Well, Tate Britain did last summer anyway.

20210521_092043_copy_600x800.jpg
This is the overground from Denmark Hill at 9.20am. It's not very much different from what I'd expect in normal times.

I got a train from Woking to Clapham Junction at 08:45 this morning and it was like a ghost town. 12 carriage train and about 15 people in my carriage maybe.

That looks a lot less crowded than normal - seats between people and no packed standing . It would normally be packed.
At rush hour sure. This was after 9. Not loads less busy than I'd normally expect off peak on a weekday morning.

At rush hour sure. This was after 9. Not loads less busy than I'd normally expect off peak on a weekday morning.
In my experience rush hour used to be about 6.30 - 10 and that line gets busy and all seats take most times of day. In the before times.

Back
Top Bottom