Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

Cycled to Lambeth Bridge yesterday, left our bikes and walked to the Oxo Tower and back.

The South Bank was pretty busy. Not that different to pre-pandemic I’d have said. The usual crowds of tourists around the London Eye, which surprisingly was running. I suppose the pods are at least isolated from each other. Groups of friends (from the same household :hmm:) dining in the weird pod things outside the Queen Elizabeth Hall and the undercroft skate park was the busiest I’ve ever seen it. No particularly risky behaviour going on and it was quite spirit-lifting to see so many people out having fun.

Left my shared studio late last night around 6pm and it was the first time I felt truly and totally anxious about population denisty, the buses and Liverpool St were rammed. Had to get off the bus well before my actual stop.
I had to change from train to bus at Liverpool Street on Friday post pub time. It was horribly busy. Throngs of people shouting at each other. And of course the buses just kept going past as they were too full.

Went for a walk across town yesterday. Still very quiet in the City. Around Covent Garden there were quite a few people milling around but not the crowds you'd usually expect.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 09.21.18.jpg

Oxford St optimistically has christmas lights up. It was busy-ish - certainly not deserted - but not as busy as would be "normal" on a Saturday afternoon.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 09.21.45.jpg

Further along Oxford St I came across a conspiraloon march.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 09.23.41.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 09.24.23.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 09.25.13.jpg

They’ve accidentally hit on a good idea when it comes to disbanding the so-called “behavioural insights“ team, mind.

The central London shop where I work today didn't feel much less busy than last week (i.e. not very busy anyway), but it did seem that both staff and customers were being much more mindful of distancing as well as proper mask wearing. Long may it continue!
The busses I saw going past on my journey home seemed less busy again, and the poor pubs as well. I do think it's necessary but I did feel somewhat sad and sorry for these places that have only recently reopened with so much thought having gone into everything and are now scuppered by the "no indoors household mixing" rule. :/

Went for a walk across town yesterday. Still very quiet in the City. Around Covent Garden there were quite a few people milling around but not the crowds you'd usually expect.

View attachment 234865

Oxford St optimistically has christmas lights up. It was busy-ish - certainly not deserted - but not as busy as would be "normal" on a Saturday afternoon.

View attachment 234867

Further along Oxford St I came across a conspiraloon march.

View attachment 234868
View attachment 234869
View attachment 234870

Looks like quite a big crowd.

Too pic, bottom right - gentleman sporting a spiffingly good moustache.

I'm on holiday this week and had a little outing to Greenwich. There was a grand total of two other visitors to the Painted Hall at the same time as me. And the market was pretty dead, but then it is a Monday.

I went "up west" for the first time since march. Definitely quieter than pre march. Did queue to get into flying tiger and eat Tokyo. Still much less Central traffic.

Popped into two pubs in the way home, both fully booked. People will go out before the relockening.

Yeah, we went and had a pre-lockdown Wing Wednesday Lunch at my old local. Exceptionally well run pub, really nice staff - I hope they survive

Last night there sure was a NYE vibe in town, and not only in the West End. I went to The City on the bike to pick up the OH, and on the way back to South London every single bar or restaurant with outside tables was absolutely teeming. And that indoor/ outdoor food and craft market place near Elephant and Castle had a social distancing-busting queue that reached back nearly all the way to the gyratory :mad:

The traffic was possibliy the worst I ever seen in London outside of a major incident or a snow-in, as well.

Last night there sure was a NYE vibe in town, and not only in the West End. I went to The City on the bike to pick up the OH, and on the way back to South London every single bar or restaurant with outside tables was absolutely teeming. And that indoor/ outdoor food and craft market place near Elephant and Castle had a social distancing-busting queue that reached back nearly all the way to the gyratory :mad:

The traffic was possibliy the worst I ever seen in London outside of a major incident or a snow-in, as well.
Think we can safely describe the pandemic as a major incident

Traffic was terrible here too - started early and was still packed at eight o'clock. Some awful driving too, people making weird u-turns and pissing everyone else off.

Going to be interesting to see whether the traffic changes significantly during lockdown 2.0.

In theory it should show us what proportion of it is in some way "essential".

First thing I've noticed is the trainline next to my flat is very quiet this morning. We normally get around 7 or 8 trains an hour in each direction (all empty of course). That seems to be right down to a couple.

First thing I've noticed is the trainline next to my flat is very quiet this morning. We normally get around 7 or 8 trains an hour in each direction (all empty of course). That seems to be right down to a couple.
Which line is that? I'm not aware of the timetable having been reduced anywhere.

Which line is that? I'm not aware of the timetable having been reduced anywhere.

Its a SW Trains line. We get several services past us on their way to and from Waterloo. They're the Reading, Windsor & Eton, Hounslow loop, Kingston loop and the Shepperton service.

ETA: Maybe they've just shortened the actual trains so I'm not noticing them as much but it does feel much much quieter.

Its a SW Trains line. We get several services past us on their way to and from Waterloo. They're the Reading, Windsor & Eton, Hounslow loop, Kingston loop and the Shepperton service.

ETA: Maybe they've just shortened the actual trains so I'm not noticing them as much but it does feel much much quieter.
I wonder if it's just the heavy fog, assuming you have that there too. It can change how sound travels. A bit like when there's a lot of snow.

I wonder if it's just the heavy fog, assuming you have that there too. It can change how sound travels. A bit like when there's a lot of snow.

You're probably right. May also be some reduced train speeds as well because of the fog.

I've no idea why they would be running a full service though. Most trains have been virtually empty before today anyway so it seems a bit unnecessary now.

Spoke to people at Northern Rail and Avanti West Coast today. Looks like timetables are staying the same apart from London to Manchester which is reducing in frequency. Big caveat - they both thought changes might be made within a week but nothing announced yet.

Does anyone one know if traffic wardens have ceased their patrols, as they did during the first lockdown?

Went to the supermarket yesterday. A bit quieter than normal but shelves were pretty much full. Lots of fireworks going off last night, quite a few people out and about including some fairly large groups.

This has a very different feeling to last time. This doesn't feel like a lockdown to me, this is how I imagined Tier 3.

Does anyone one know if traffic wardens have ceased their patrols, as they did during the first lockdown?

I got this through my door (dated 22 October) if it's any help?

Seems to indicate that parking enforcement of permits on estates in Lambeth hasn't restarted since the March lockdown, and won't now until 1st December.

On the other hand, I saw a traffic warden out & about today, & sure they've been patrolling recently, so maybe parking permits on estates is a different thing.

20201106_132000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom