Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

I rarely go out in central London but I was in Soho on Thursday night. All the restaurants around Gerard St/Old Compton St etc. have outside seating because of COVID and the streets are closed to traffic. It was absolutely buzzing but no real social distancing and of course no masks because everyone is eating and drinking.

Whilst it may not be the best in the current climate I really hope it becomes the norm as it was great.
the temporary pedestrianisation & outdoor licensing in Soho is scheduled to end on 30/09 unfortunately. no word from the council yet about extending as far as I know.
granted it was always going to be less popular as the weather turns. but I think that suddenly cutting it off rather than letting things wind down naturally is a mistake.

the temporary pedestrianisation & outdoor licensing in Soho is scheduled to end on 30/09 unfortunately. no word from the council yet about extending as far as I know.
granted it was always going to be less popular as the weather turns. but I think that suddenly cutting it off rather than letting things wind down naturally is a mistake.

I suspect there will be a curfew on pubs & restaurants before the end of the month TBH.

Took my first train(s) on Sunday. What a strange and slightly unpleasant experience. The trains themselves were pretty empty but you could easily see how any level of viral spread prevention measures would be virtually impossible with even something like 30% capacity.

The stations are strange dystopian scenes with all the concessions closed (inc Clapham Junction even though it was quite busy) and one way systems everywhere. It was nice to be back in the Centre of London and doing London things for the first time since early February but really I cannot see how we have a hope of it even being half normal by Christmas.

Took my first train(s) on Sunday. What a strange and slightly unpleasant experience. The trains themselves were pretty empty but you could easily see how any level of viral spread prevention measures would be virtually impossible with even something like 30% capacity.
I don't really see any reason to assume it would be worse than being in a shop or a restaurant.

The main thing that bothers me on trains is the number of people with masks on their chins yabbering away to each other or into their phone.

Got my 1st tube since March today (Liverpool St - Kings X) fairy empty, most people in masks , fairly pleasant journey tbf.

I don't really see any reason to assume it would be worse than being in a shop or a restaurant.

The main thing that bothers me on trains is the number of people with masks on their chins yabbering away to each other or into their phone.

I agree about the masks being worn around the chin. I think with the trains they just feel a lot less clean than a shop or restaurant as its just not possible to clean them regularly enough. Also people move around trains in a way they don't in a restaurant and simple things like gathering at the train door when a stop is coming is second nature.

I think a lot of these things will come down to one's own perception or risk but I dunno I just felt more on edge on the train than anywhere else previously. I do accept that its probably in large part due to it being my first train journey since the virus struck.

Trains are generally cleaned every night which is likely to be as good as a restaurant or shop, with the exception of things like tables perhaps.

I suppose my perception of risk is more focused on what's in the air, as that's what you don't have much control over - it's generally possible to choose not to touch things. A non crowded air conditioned train with most people wearing masks feels a lot less risky to me than a pub or restaurant where everyone's shouting and talking and where I know that the ventilation system probably doesn't function anywhere near the rate it's supposed to (if at all).

I agree about the masks being worn around the chin. I think with the trains they just feel a lot less clean than a shop or restaurant as its just not possible to clean them regularly enough. Also people move around trains in a way they don't in a restaurant and simple things like gathering at the train door when a stop is coming is second nature.

I think a lot of these things will come down to one's own perception or risk but I dunno I just felt more on edge on the train than anywhere else previously. I do accept that its probably in large part due to it being my first train journey since the virus struck.

I felt a bit edgy the first time I was back on a train, I think it was a combo of the unsettling posters & voice announcements*, and knowing you're trapped until the next stop.

I was on an actual crowded train for the first time at the weekend (only a 20 minute journey) & the driver did remind everyone to mask up at every stop, and everyone actually did, which was encouraging. Not ideal, but it didn't feel too bad.

I quite like the announcements at Kings Cross now - a female voice intoning "Please wear a mask... This is to protect us all" in full Rachael from Bladerunner style. "Do you like our owl...?"

Last edited:
What's the state of air conditioning on trains? I've always assumed it's not really fresh air coming in but I need to educate myself.
I feel worse about train travel than shops I think. But my train journeys tend to be lengthy and my shop trips are quick.

What's the state of air conditioning on trains? I've always assumed it's not really fresh air coming in but I need to educate myself.
I feel worse about train travel than shops I think. But my train journeys tend to be lengthy and my shop trips are quick.

It would need to be new air rather than circulating existing air. On a car you can choose which option, I'm not sure how it works on trains.

The air conditioning on my local trains (SW Railway) is pretty much all terrible. Though most of the trains are relatively modern the AC never seems to be working or at least working well enough. In the summer they are always horrible sweat boxes worse than the old trains without AC because at least you could open the windows.

It would need to be new air rather than circulating existing air. On a car you can choose which option, I'm not sure how it works on trains.

The air conditioning on my local trains (SW Railway) is pretty much all terrible. Though most of the trains are relatively modern the AC never seems to be working or at least working well enough. In the summer they are always horrible sweat boxes worse than the old trains without AC because at least you could open the windows.
take an automatic centre punch and you can open almost any windows wherever you may be

It doesnt feel like fresh air (possibly pointless anecdote to follow) I moved into an empty carriage the other day that stank of cigarette smoke :confused: to the point that I could smell it on my clothes the next day. Very wierd.

On the tube there's usually plenty of air coming in through the end windows, even if it feels like it's been underground since the previous century.

They will have a mixture of recirculated air and fresh air introduced into the flow. The recirculated air will go through filters but who knows how effective they are against corona.

How effective the AC is at heating or cooling is not necessarily an indication of how often the air is changed over. A system might not be good at cooling the air on a hot day and with a busy train, but it still might be circulating it at a good rate.

On suburban trains quite a bit of air will come in and out at station stops, long distance trains less so.

Sitting in a ropey pub... There might be an AC unit blasting away but with zero fresh air intake and filters that have never been changed or even installed.

Arguably the main danger with AC and ventilation systems is that they actively spread air (and therefore potential infection) around a large area - say they have an intake on one side of the room and an outlet on the other.

As I understand it, most vehicles like planes, trains and buses tend to circulate the air fairly locally and vertically rather than horizontally, ie. an intake at floor level and outlet at ceiling level, or vice versa.

The only bad dream I've had throughout all this madness, had me walking through a tube subway and getting hit with that warm whoosh of air you can feel before you get to the platform. It happens if a train's coming in even though you can't see it, if that makes sense. Must admit that whoosh gives me the fear, haven't been on a tube since March.
Mind you I've no idea if it's any worse if air comes at you fast and sudden.
Have felt ok on overheads, but not travelled peak.
Have been in 2 pubs sat outside, can't see me going inside and indoor restaurants are not calling me.
It's here for ages isn't it. :( :(

They will have a mixture of recirculated air and fresh air introduced into the flow. The recirculated air will go through filters but who knows how effective they are against corona.

How effective the AC is at heating or cooling is not necessarily an indication of how often the air is changed over. A system might not be good at cooling the air on a hot day and with a busy train, but it still might be circulating it at a good rate.

On suburban trains quite a bit of air will come in and out at station stops, long distance trains less so.

Sitting in a ropey pub... There might be an AC unit blasting away but with zero fresh air intake and filters that have never been changed or even installed.

Arguably the main danger with AC and ventilation systems is that they actively spread air (and therefore potential infection) around a large area - say they have an intake on one side of the room and an outlet on the other.

As I understand it, most vehicles like planes, trains and buses tend to circulate the air fairly locally and vertically rather than horizontally, ie. an intake at floor level and outlet at ceiling level, or vice versa.
you're more likely in danger from legionella than cv20

The pendolino trains that v***** trains made managed to have the ac redistribute the air from the toilets throughout the entire train. They absolutely stink.

For anyone interested in infection risk on public transport I've started a thread here

I was in our main office yesterday, picking up and dropping off stuff. It's an 11 floor office block with 9 floors of offices, apparently before lockdown it could accommodate 2000 workers , I was chatting to people there yesterday, maybe 100 people working there. It is central london-ish , loads of chain cafes reliant on offices like that, 5% going into the office!

Renters are swapping inner London transport hubs for homes further afield as the need to commute has become less important than a desire for space, data on searches on property website Rightmove suggests.

Analysis of 60m searches in August showed steep falls in the number of searches for rental homes in commuter hubs such as Earl’s Court in west London, and New Cross in the south, while areas in outer London and beyond registered big increases.

That makes sense. There are a lot of companies already saying they are looking at 2021 for getting people back to the office. Rent by its nature is often short terms so why not get yourself a bigger place for a bit.

A lot of the things that make London a great place to live are not great at the moment so I can see why people are asking what is the point? I don't anticipate this will be a long term trend but we'll see.

Trains are generally cleaned every night which is likely to be as good as a restaurant or shop, with the exception of things like tables perhaps.

I suppose my perception of risk is more focused on what's in the air, as that's what you don't have much control over - it's generally possible to choose not to touch things. A non crowded air conditioned train with most people wearing masks feels a lot less risky to me than a pub or restaurant where everyone's shouting and talking and where I know that the ventilation system probably doesn't function anywhere near the rate it's supposed to (if at all).

Trains are cleaned at night - but now on a much enhanced programe , and frequency for deep cleaning , plus there are groups of extra cleaners doing in service passenger area cleaning - concentrating on touch points (door open buttons, handrails etc) , as well as table surfaces (where provided) - for example everything turning round at St Albans gets a clean , ditto Luton, Bedford and many other locations. Inter City trains are seeing cleaning on route - not just litter picking but surface wiping. These are redeployed staff and new entrants.

First day for me back in the City since early March.

And I’ve just realised what’s so eerie. I can’t ever remember being in the City before and not having a constant aural assault from construction work. Almost nobody is hammering anything almost anywhere. (Ironically, the one place they seem to be is opposite my building...)

That makes sense. There are a lot of companies already saying they are looking at 2021 for getting people back to the office. Rent by its nature is often short terms so why not get yourself a bigger place for a bit.

A lot of the things that make London a great place to live are not great at the moment so I can see why people are asking what is the point? I don't anticipate this will be a long term trend but we'll see.

Some sort of outdoor space is going to be premium while flats with no garden space or balcony will probably end up having lower rent in more central locations.

First day for me back in the City since early March.

And I’ve just realised what’s so eerie. I can’t ever remember being in the City before and not having a constant aural assault from construction work. Almost nobody is hammering anything almost anywhere. (Ironically, the one place they seem to be is opposite my building...)
I was in the city yesterday (walked from Barbican Tube to Liverpool St Station, you're right there was less building works, way fewer people . I drove in a few weeks ago (parked near Moorgate) totally forgot the congestion zone is 7 days a week , that was expensive parking :( :mad:

Back
Top Bottom